Killing an hour for lunch.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing an hour for lunch.....

This has got to be one of the most difficult things Ive EVER done!!! I was told yesterday at work that I CANNOT clock in before 8AM (Im on salary...WHY do I have to clock in??), but I normally get to work around 730, and told that I HAVE to take a full hour for lunch. I dont think Ive ever done that....normally Im back to work in 20 min, so I gotta figure out what to do for the remaining 38 min (it takes me 2 min tops to drive to work). I cant understand why all of a sudden I have to start clocking in an out everyday, and clocking in and out for lunch....Ive always just clocked in once a day (workmans comp ****) and thats it....its not like I got paid for the extra half hour I was there in the mornings and for the extra 40 min I didnt take for lunch....I just dont get it....something about "white collar overtime laws"....go figure....okay Im finished, this wasted about 2 min of my 38 min I gotta waste...

Mrs LPC

Re: Killing an hour for lunch.....

The more you give the more they take. See... if you were constantly late getting to work and coming back from lunch you would probably have gotten a promotion already. Leaving for lunch at 11:50 is a plus too. Make sure you make plenty of personal phone calls and it would really help to forget to punch in once in a while.

Comment

LOL now THATS funny!!!!

If I did any of that I would be kicked out in no time flat....you dont realize, I work for a bunch of ummm...I hope I dont offend anybody with this, but I work for a Pollock and his son, and both have the strong belief that men are to make alot more money than women, and that a womans job is nowhere as important as a mans, even if they are doing the same job. I was told when I was first interviewed for the job (well cant call it an interview, Paula knew what I knew and wanted me there, no questions asked) I was told a pay raise after 30 days(I did recieve a .50 cent raise)plus monthly sales bonuses (yet to see one of those puppies). Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt give up this job for anything, I love it and I really enjoy working with 99.9% of the people there (the other tenth of a percent is the GM, eh..I can definitely live without him). They dont seem to realize that if I dont go into work at 730 the first week of the month, Im so buried with work I cant see over my desk, literally. I have a schedule set that starts at 730 and Im the type that cant deal with change very well. This morning I still went in at 730 and got all my repair orders posted and the $$ counted before 8, went outside to smoke and then clocked in. There are advantages to my job though, I normally take about 45 min to go to the grocery store or whatever Ski (the boss) wants for lunch and I was the one that took his dog to the vet and the groomers, that ended when Lea wanted to do it, fine with me....

It could be much worse, I could work for someone that bitches if I clock in at 801 and leave for lunch at 1159 and get back at 101.

If they could find away to get rid of the GM then I would have THE perfect job...the GM is really bad for stressing and throwing ****...hes calmed down lately, hes been known to throw printers across the room when you ask him to change his ink....now he just throws Chrysler contracts across the room....

Mrs LPC

Comment

smoke a doob...before you go back to work

if you vote for me as prez instead of NEWC...you can smoke a doobie while at work... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have my priorities man! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

go home for lunch and watch tv [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

These guys are so paranoid that you will raise a stink, somewhere down the line, about working through lunch and being there early. You sound like a devoted member of the team. However, they are trying to cover their asses for some unknown reason. Based on my 54 years, I would "cover my ass" and do what they want you to do. Watch how things fall apart when you don't put in that extra time. By the way, did you ever get that car?
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Take a long walk at lunch time. It's good for you.
              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Take the Min-Pin for a walk... Good for you and the Min-Pin. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                Occupy JCF

Comment

I'm sure it is all work law related. There are certain work laws that need to be followed to a T for classifiing employees as hourly or salary. Basically everyone at my company other than management had to go to the hourly system. All of my guys had to go from salary to hourly and have to fill out timecards, in and out for work and lunch. It didn't matter that they worked here for 6 years and were salary. The good thing is they do get OT if they work over 8 in a single day or 40 in a week. For me (and the guys) it is a pain having to manage and approve time cards, like I don't have anything better to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

It's nice being retired....sittin' here drinkin' iced tea ..listening to metal ..with nothing else to do but to make fun out of everyone else here that's workin'...

ahhhhhh this is nice.. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      These guys are so paranoid that you will raise a stink, somewhere down the line, about working through lunch and being there early. You sound like a devoted member of the team. However, they are trying to cover their asses for some unknown reason. Based on my 54 years, I would "cover my ass" and do what they want you to do. Watch how things fall apart when you don't put in that extra time. By the way, did you ever get that car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it was that easy, just sit back and watch everything fall apart. NOTHING falls apart there but your sanity. It goes beyond Ski and Holland bitching because things didnt get done, I have to answer to Chrysler. The end of the month HAS to be finished, completely and closed by the 9th of the month. If the 9th falls on a Saturday or Sunday, it has to be closed on Friday. To me, this means all car deals pending HAVE to be finalized and financing has to be approved(this causes me to run and scream like a mad woman), all DMV registrations and plates MUST be in the office and entered (if at all possible), all billing statements HAVE to be out and all payables MUST be paid...all by the 9th of the month. And if the bank statement is later than the 9th...oh God, there WILL be hell to pay.

Im hoping today is an example, and they will soon realize its not possible for me to work 8 to 5 with an hour lunch. I clocked out today at 530 and its the GMs fault. He KNEW we were doing 2 dealer trades with a dealer in GA and one with East Carolina Dodge....but he waits until 445 to throw the paperwork on my desk and expect me to bill all 3 out, cut the checks, and bring the 3 other vehicles in inventory. I have the evil idea of milking the overtime for all its worth (did that a bit today, could have been out earlier, but made it a point to chit chat with Mandy, the owners woman). Ya know, it sounds bad that I can actually get OT but I dont want to have to clock in a blue million times a day. Just pay me my straight 40 hours and to hell with the overtime, they tax it too much anyway.

Mrs LPC

Oh and Fett, no I didnt get the Mustang....they said I was too buried in my trade. BUT....Mr LPC may be deploying very soon, and with that said, within 2 months I can be debt free other than car payments, and Im trading mine in for an 04 Rumblebee...yellow....after that, Im in the market to add to his guitars....I just dont know what kind to buy....

Comment

It's just labor law, Mrs. LPC, and they have to cover their asses because somebody probably
                        burned them based on lax records.

My old boss was lax about timecards when I started with him, and I warned him about it.
                        His wife, my direct superior, said "I think we know how to run our business, but thanks for your concern."

Two years later, one guy who'd been a royal PITA the whole time he was there left, and filed a complaint with the Labor Board, saying he worked 6 days a week, no lunch breaks, 10 hours a day. Well, our sketchy time cards didn't prove this was false, which it was highly false, so the Labor Board said, "Shame on you for shoddy timecards. We take the plaintiff's word and award him $20,000 for the unpaid work hours in the past 3 years."

THAT is why your bosses are getting sticky about the time cards. Even though you're on salary, that predicates a 40-hour week and they have to prove that's all you're getting, or go ahead and pay the OT. It's not that they think you'e going to gig 'em; they have to assume that EVERYBODY will try to gig 'em once they leave.

Many employers never realize this until someone takes them in court. Your boss would not want to publicize it if this happened to him as other employees and ex-employees might decide to pile on.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Hello. Humm, How about grab one of your husbands rarely played guitars (or yours?), take it to work and find a corner someplace quite, and jam on the guitar for lunch. Me and a buddy used to play under the stairs at work at lunch time with our acoustics. Next thing you know lunch is over.
                          Finn

Comment

Yeah Im gonna grab his rarely played guitar (63LesPaulCustom) and take it to work with me and jam out in the service bay. That should go over like a fart in church...for one, I couldnt carry a tune if it was in a coal bucket with a big ole fukkin handle...and two, one of the service techs plays and he might try and take the guitar, he plays Ibanez, and Im trying to show him the error of his ways....hes still young though...

Mrs LPC

Comment

Working...
                            X