Protein drinks for workouts? need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein drinks for workouts? need help

OK. I know there was a thread on this a while back but I need some advice. I know there are guys here that know alot about fitness and workouts. I am looking into adding protein drinks to my workouts. to give you the run down here is where I am at: I lost 125 lbs over the last 2 years by excercise and a good diet(yes its true). Will power and determination are what did it, I did use slim fast to help with weight loss. but it took more than slim fast to lose the weight. I am at 190 lbs now. I am still working out about twice a week and I get other activity with lawn mowing, house projects, etc... I dont need to lose anymore NET WEIGHT. I just want to get into better shape. I do still have some love handles around my stomach that I want to lose along with some extra fat on my arms & legs. I am doing very well and want to get into very good shape. I dont need to be a pro body builder or anything, just get into good shape.(chicks dig that ya know [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) If possible maybe get some abs happening. I am think I am realistic with my goals. I have the discipline to stick with it. I just need to know what type of protein drinks I should use to enhance my workouts. I want to get rid of those love handles and excess flab and replace it with a bit of muscle. What do you people recommend?? I am all ears!!! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Thanks

Tone
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Protein drinks for workouts? need help

First of all, cardio vascular exercise will get you lean and show the abs. You've got them in there, and that is the only way to shed the excess fat. Resistance exercise will build the muscle you desire along with proper diet and rest.

Protein is the building block of muscle and amino acids are the building blocks of protein. The best protein to take should have a complete amino acid profile. My favorite is the all natural Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. It has no artificail colors or flavors and comes in chocolate, strawberry or vanilla. It runs $35-$45 for a 5 lb tub depending on sales, etc. Mix one scoop of that stuff with 2 cups of milk twice a day and you'll have a good additional source of protein. If you're lactose intolerant try two scoops with water. It won't taste as good, but it'll work as well. If you're too sensitive even for that, check into soy proteins. They're a little more expensive and can cause a little more gas. But it is an alternative. Otherwise, just try to eat more lean meat like chicken breasts and tuna. You need to have a quick drink with a mix of carbohydrates and protein immediately after workouts, protein shake and a Gatorade, followed by a full meal with a good mix of macronutrients (50/30/20 carbs/protein/fats) about an hour after that.

On a side note, it is almost impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Pick one and stick with that for a few months, then switch. The good thing about having a little more muscle on your frame is that you'll burn more calories throughout the day just laying around. Burning calories is the name of the game for weight loss.

Comment

Thanks. OK, Maybe I should stick to the airdyne bike for a good cardio workout. I have a soloflex too. I usually stretch, loosen up for 5 minutes on the airdyne, then hit the soloflex for about 45 minutes doing various excersises. Then stretch at the end. should I abandon the soloflex for now? or stick with it? When I lost the weight I did the bike only and regular situps, pushups, etc.... then got the soloflex after I lost hte weight. I want to get rid of some excess fat and just get a bit more muscles. I dont get enough protien in my diet. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, and plenty of breads,grains,etc... plenty of water too. but not much protein at all. Maybe I should try to just eat some more protien rich foods for now and forget the drinks. problem is I am not much on fish at all. I do like eggs.

Whatcha think? open to more advice. and thanks big for all you provided!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm surprised that Horns hasn't shot all over this one. Protein drink. Indeed!!!
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Eggs are a great source of protein. The whites and yolks have the same amount of protein (3 grams each) but the yolk has all the nutrients, as well as fat and cholesterol. Unless you have a problem with your cholesterol, keep the yolks. Before trying any kind of supplement, you have to make sure that your diet is sound to begin with. If you want to ration things out aim for about 50-55% of your calories to come from carbohydrates, 20-30% from protein, and the rest in fats. Keep the fats down to unsaturated fats if possible and no trans fats. Fat from olive oil and fish oils, good. Fats from pork and beef, not so good.

The soloflex is fine to keep. In my opinion, free weights are the best, but the soloflex will work if that's all you've got. Just try to structure your workouts a little better than hitting random exercises. Remember that the fastest way to your goals will be to combine cardio and resistance work. In fact, circuit training might work very well for you in this stage. Circuit training is simply resistance training done at a cardio pace. Basically, get your heart rate up and keep it up.

The wife is bugging me to come to bed now. I've got to give her the business. If you have any more questions, keep posting here or send me a pm or email. I'll be happy to help out any way I can. By the way I got my B.S. in Kinesiology (exercise science and coaching). So I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. Let me know.

Comment

Here are some suggestions:
            1.Go to a gym and hire a personal trainer to get you going. It is worth it to learn the correct way to work out. If you can afford it and he is good... keep paying him. I do.
            2. Forget the home gym crap. All that stuff turns into fancy coat hangars. If you lacked the motivation to be slim in the first place you will never motivate yourself to work out alone at home. There are entirely too many distractions. Only Chuck Norris works out at home.
            3. Whey protein is a great source of protein. I throw 2 banana's, a cup of ice, cold water and 2 scoops of whey protein in a blender and drink one every night BEFORE dinner. This gives you your protein and it fills you up so you don't pig out at dinner. Don't eat after 8:00pm and DON'T drink alcohol.
            4. Use free weights only after you have done the proper tendon training. A good machine circuit for 4 weeks is enough to strengthen your tendons. If you use creatine make sure you drink plenty of water!
            5. Vary your workouts. Muscles have memory and they adapt very quickly. You always have to be hitting them with something new.
            6. Be consistant. Go to the gym at least 3 days per week for at least 1 hour per day and work out like an animal and get the hell out of there. If you train hard and fast you will automatically get your cardio.
            7. Train different body parts on different days.. for example:
            Day 1: Biceps, Triceps
            Day 2: off or just light cardio
            Day 3: Chest and Back
            Day 4: off
            Day 5: Shoulders and legs
            Day 6: off
            Day 7: off
            Do abs every day you work out. You can either start with it or end with it.
            I am not blowing smoke either. I am 43 years old, 5'8" tall. I weigh 192 and I bench press a clean 385lbs. and have a seated military press or 255lbs and climbing.
            Train hard bro... Good luck!

Comment

Day 1: work the shaft
              Day 2: left ball
              Day 3: right ball
              Day 4: polish knob
              Day 5: scrotum stretch
              Day 6: penis jerk
              Day 7: Rest
              ..eat a good meal ..Potato chips / Pop / twinkies / ice cream / banana cream pie / jelly donuts / big Macs..
              Then lay on the floor and listen to metal ...take plenty of naps ..

This worked for me ..I was benching 305...I'm 5'8" , 230 lbs. with a very large penis..

I hope this helps somehow.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I stick with EAS products pretty much, or MetRX. As in life, you get what you pay for.

Brett

Comment

jgcable's got some good points. There are a couple of things I disagree with but they have been argued over for years so I don't see a point to do it again here. The main thing to remember is this: if you train hard you will improve. Even training poorly with the right amount of intensity will still yield results. Of course if you want to maximize your results, proper training at the right intensity coupled with a solid diet and plenty of rest will get you the best restults in the shortest period of time.

Comment

Horns you are the bomb! your workout routine sounds awesome dude!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

the one thing I disagree with jgcable on is the home gym. I have excersized at home for over two years successfully now so why would I change now?? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I am disciplined and the home type distractions dont bother me. I have my mind set to workout, I do it. its that simple. I dont hang clothes on my home gym stuff and its right next to my washer/dryer so there!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] LOL!!!

I think the idea of keeping the soloflex and using it more for that "circuit training" that Travis mentioned. It sounds like I need more cardio type workouts anyhow if I want to get rid of the excess fat. like I said, I dont need to be a pro body builder or anything. Just get fit. I like the idea of using the soloflex for cardio as I can see where it would do that well.

Maybe I should just do a routine of less resistance and more reps to get a better cardio workout and put less emphasis on lifting weights and gaining muscle???

It sounds like that may be best and just incorporate more protein rich foods in my diet for now. sound good?

Tone

Comment

The more muscle mass you have the better IMHO.
                        Keep in mind that my advise is coming from being a powerlifter. Working out at home with a machine made of metal and rubber (power) bands just doesn't compute for me.
                        Is it better than nothing?? Absolutely. It is much better than nothing. It doen't even come close though to the intensity and the results you can achieve using free weights in a gym with a kick ass work out partner or trainer. If you want to be a lean sissy do cardio. Power walking and home gyms are for stay at home moms. If you want a fairly lean muscular physique (the most popular look for most) then circuit train with a combination of free weights and machines. 10-15 reps with moderate weight. If you want a thick muscular and moderately lean physique then circuit train with free weights. 6-8 reps with heavy weight. 3 sets per exercise. 40% of your max for 1st set, 60% for the 2nd, 80% for your 3rd.
                        I think circuit training is the key for you. Cut out the bread too. It goes directly to the mid section. Drink lots of water when you are training. If you have to drink booze, try to stick to a few glasses of red wine.

Comment

I would say to watch the types of carbs you take in more than the amount of carbs. Eat whole wheat bread instead of white, sweet potatoes instead of white, brown rice instead of white, etc. The trend here is that white flour is bleached and void of all the nutrients. They put the vitamins and minierals back in after bleaching the flour. This makes it nowhere near as good, plus a whole lot more processed and more in the form of simple sugars. These sugars turn to fat when not utilizd as energy by the body. Stick with whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables for your carb sources and you'll be ok. Leave out sodas, candy, and overly processed breads and cereals.

Alcohol has been proven to drop androgen levels which is detrimental to building muscle mass. One glass of red wine or one beer a day is fine. In fact that has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease. Although don't skip the week and have a six pack on Saturday, it doesn't work like that.

Comment

This is my favorite working out device. Just plop it in the backyard, and hook her up. You can recover alot faster after your workout. I keep mine at 104 degrees, and at that temperature, you actually can only stay in 20 minutes, but it actually gives your circulatory system a workout..........
                            http://www.coastspas.com/site/html/models/models_f.html

Comment

Spas, hottubs, jacuzzis, etc are great for loosening up the muscles. But be warned that they will draw the water out of you fast. Keep hydrated and put those electrolytes back in otherwise you may experience severe cramping while exerciseing.

Comment

Working...
                              X