Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: REDNECK SUIT ON!!!!

Tonight when I get home I'll do a real assesment of the 1st 6 albums
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I could be wrong but.. was'nt Jesus a Lute player?

Comment

Technically speaking, according to Christianity, Jesus and God are different entities. I've never heard of anyone claim Eddie Van Halen was a guitar Jesus. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually he is more like a guitar Moses.

Comment

My attemp at humor failed yet again....

Comment

Re: GOD of GEEKSUIT ON!

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Don't like the guy as a person. He's basically and a-hole IMO. But no way in hell I can say he sucks at playing. Or anything close to sucks. I love the old VH albums. You can mention what each individual song contains and compare it to plenty of players. But there are only so many ways one can play the guitar. And Eddie was always uniquely Eddie. It's about the individual playing characteristics each great player has. There's a personality to his playing style. And that in my opinion is what makes a player great. When you can hear a song and put the personality of the playing with the name of the player you've made it.
                We must!
                We must!
                We must increase the bust!
                The bigger the better!
                The tighter the sweater!
                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Re: GEEKSUIT ON!

[ QUOTE ]
                  You didn't mention anything about the energy those albums had. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never saw any of that energy transcribed in a magazine, and never heard of anyone trying to learn it - at least not in the same sense of learning his solos.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: GEEKSUIT ON!

[ QUOTE ]
                    :bs:

I'm with Strangletooth!

So Newc, how would you breakdown Rhoads' solos on Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, just out of curiosity? Flying High Again just some already been done before by others tapping? Mr. Crowley just some scalar runs? Over the Mountain was just some meedley wanking with a few trem tricks? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, the Rhoads Critique is definitely on the way.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Re: FLAMESUIT ON!

Holy krapp!!! You are unique...that's for sure. Couldn't you just have said you don't get the Eddie thing in about 8 words or less? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Listening to VH now and hearing VH in 78, that is all the differnce in the world.

All the things you are hemming and hawing about 26 years later were just out of this solar system radical back then.

I'd say that your unimpressed/heard it before mindset comes from the fact that he has been copied to death and then some, so modern guitar vocabulary can almost entirely be traced back to him. Meaning there is too much VH in your perspective to find it interesting anymore. Now thats ironic.

I'm not even an Eddie fan, but really, his influence and appeal is not difficult to understand. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: VOTED OFF THE ISLAND SUIT ON!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
                        Tonight when I get home I'll do a real assesment of the 1st 6 albums

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need; the albums as individuals and as a whole body of work are no doubt classics that deserve Classic status. My point was strictly that Eddie Van Halen - you know, the guy who played all the guitar solos? - was not that good or impressive as a SOLO guitarist when compared directly to other guitarists of the day. YES, he blew the socks off us when we were kids and just learning geetar, but comparing his solos to those of Iommi, Uli Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Gary Moore, David Gilmour, Angus Young, Page, Hendrix, Zappa, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, Skynyrd (let's see Eddie play Freebird), not to mention Ed's personal hero Eric Clapton, you quickly realize that Eddie Van Halen was a flashy wanker with very little meaningful ability and nothing to contribute to the guitar world except the tapping (which he "invented" when he couldn't figure out the solo to "Heartbreaker"), speedy runs (play with your d1ck enough and you'll get fast at it), and using a locking tremolo as a crutch.
                        Of course his lack of soloing ability was cleverly masked by creative mixing techniques which placed the drums and bass at a volume comparable to and competing with the guitar, and the guitar at a volume that competed with the vocals, as well as that MXR Phase90.

Newc

Comment

Where is Alan Holdsworth's name in the list of GODS compared to man?!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          Fong

Comment

Dude I'm sorry but Page was one of the sloppiest guitar players I have ever heard. I can't even imagine what would come out of Jimmy Page's guitar if he tried his hand at Eruption. lol
                            We must!
                            We must!
                            We must increase the bust!
                            The bigger the better!
                            The tighter the sweater!
                            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Dude I'm sorry but Page was one of the sloppiest guitar players I have ever heard. I can't even imagine what would come out of Jimmy Page's guitar if he tried his hand at Eruption. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that would be a band... Puddle of "MUD"

bwhahahaha [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better!

Comment

Working...
                                X