FLAMESUIT ON!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COURT JESTER SUIT ON!!!!

I like some shred - the GOOD stuff that fits the song, not the wank that only fits its own wanking.
    Look, it's not hard to understand - a guitarist is NOT the core or the main focus of a song, the SONG is. If you write guitar-based instrumentals, then fine, shred and wank away. If you've got a singer out front and you're doing Rock music like Van Halen, then the spotlight stays on the band as a whole at all times, otherwise the song is going to suffer - crappy cliche lyrics and themes and the same old tired melodies and 3rd-grade rhymes just to serve as filler until the next geetar wank, which 9 times out of 10 cannot carry the song.
    Pick your favorite song of all time with the best solo in it you've ever heard, then re-cut that song with crappy cliche lyrics and listen to it again. Yeah that solo kicks all ass but it's too bad you have to suffer through the crappy cliche lyrics before you get to it. What are you gonna do, skip to the solo?
    Ok, fine. But now put out a 12-track disc with crappy cliche lyrics and ripping solos and try to get fans. You may as well put it on the front cover in big yellow letters "PLEASE SKIP ONLY TO THE SOLOS BECAUSE THE SONGS SUCK THAT BAD".

Damn Guvmint wanted labels on stuff for lyrical content, I wanted lyrical quality ratings [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK ...cool NEWC , but your "opinion" doesn't change a single thing what Ed has done or Accomplished ..

and that was more than any other single guitar player has ever done to date!

whether you like ED or not....there will NEVER be another guitarist that was this influential to the guitar playing masses ..not in our lifetime...and if there was he's probably inspired by ED.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well Newc, Van Halen only sold about a bajallion albums with the exact formula you so pointedly disdain, so...whatever was your point again?

Comment

That he couldn't come up with a melodic solo to save his ass. Focus, Chuck, focus [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

well Newc ...you stand alone on that thought ... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

How's it feel to be all by your lonesome ...you can almost here the crickets ...shhhhh listen ...there's an owl.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

And grass growing. Don't forget about that one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

So Newc, did Ed bone your girlfriend, or what? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]Ed wrote al the VH songs musically, and they lyrics WERE somewhat incidental compared to the actual instrumentalcomposition of the songs. Van Halen were the absolute top of the rock from 1978 through 1985 and the whole 80s metal phenom would not have happened if not for them.He wrote classic songs, his solos were classic to everyone but you, he influenced millions of guitarists, so if you criticize him so vehemently, it IS fair to ask what you've got. Why? Because you're a guitarist, in a forum of guitarists, knocking a great. You said you have a better sense of melody - let's hear it! Songs or solos, what do you have that you feel is superior to his body of work? I'd love to hear some new rock that's better than any Van Halen ever done!BTW, saying Ed couldn't play Freebird? C'mon, if you're knocking pentatonics that's the most knockable song ever!
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If I can play Freebird I'm pretty sure Ed could handle it.

If anyone's ever heard some of the bootleg VH before they made thier first album, they know that the words to most of the songs changed completely.

Ya gotta remember Ed was doing alot of things that no one else had even thought of let alone played at the time. And he did them well.

Ed was to guitarist's what Missionary's with a match were to Headhunters.

Comment

Let's not start dissing Freebird now. That is one of the most amazing tunes ever. The slide guitar in that tune is absolute perfection. I don't give a **** that it's been played to death, it is simply a great tune.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Not dissin it whatsoever. I liked it enough to learn it in high school. Just saying I'd bet the farm Ed could do it justice.

Comment

My point wasn't to knock Freebird, Tim, not at all. It was that you can rag any song by saying "It's ONLY... (fill in the blank). The slide is great and the solos are great, though
                        it's basically the pentatonic box repeated many times.

Incidentally I saw Steve Morse once on the Tonight Show play the Freebird slide theme using his trem instead of a slide, and it sounded perfect! Much easier to do it on slide, at least for me.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I've posted my stuff before in the MP3 section. Check it out if you care to, but let's get one thing straight right now: go back and re-read my posts with a calm rational mind instead of hurt feelings that I don't worship every solo Ed played like you guys do; I didn't say the SONGS were not good, I said the wanky leads were not good and didn't fit the songs. There's a major difference here that only I can seem to see. Maybe because I'm not blinded by the hairs on Ed's ass?

And by the same token, if Ed's such a major influence on YOU, let's hear what YOU'VE got to show for it.

Newc

Comment

Actually, some of the others you mentioned like Blackmore, Uli Roth are bigger influences
                            on me than Van Halen, but I do like his playing quite a lot.

I have Webtv and can't post an mp3, and also can't play that well since I had my stroke, but feel free to call out someone who ISN't paralyzed on his left side, okay?
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I still don't see how you can say those solos don't fit the songs. I listend to tons of Vh to try and do a rebutle against you and I felt it wasn't worth it since you have your opinian and I have mine, but Man I love 95% of all those solos. The solo in fools, or light up the sky, drop dead legs. All stuff I've listened to for my whole life. Maybe there's something in the water in Tennessee??
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Well... I for one have not been bashing you for your opinion. Its just strange for me to hear what you've been saying. I've never heard anyone rip on Eddie. But, you are entitled to your opinion.

All I have available for listening is something I did back in '88, I was about 18 or 19 years old. Really did'nt have clue what I was doing. So remember you asked for it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My solo is the second one. Really bad song from the 80's

Eddie really did'nt have much influence on me back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X