most difficult position in sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most difficult position in sports?

What do you think is the most difficult position to play in all of professional sports? My vote goes to goalie (hockey) because I have played it all my life. Discuss.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: most difficult position in sports?

Football - Center; poor guy always gets the first hit after he hikes the ball and barely has time to get his blocks up.

Basketball - The guy that has to shoot from the 3-point line after a foul, cuz all they know is dunks and goal-hanging.

Baseball - Pitcher; if the guy hits it back at you and you're too slow to duck or catch....

Hockey - Goalie; peripheral vision is obstructed by the mask

Soccer - Goalie; the net's too wide

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

rear admiral

Comment

NHL Centers - I think the most difficut position in hockey is the center position (I have played them all except goalie) The center has more ice to cover in both zones. Goailes, although they are more athletic today than before, basically stand there and cut down angles [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think NHL players are the best atheletes in the world bar none. Not only do they have to be athletic, well tranined and have great skills (skating, hand/eye cordination,puck handling etc) they have to take a physical beating every other night in an 82 game season and take an even harder beating in the playoffs. They are the toughest too and have the highest pain threshold known in the sports world.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Flat on your back and knocked out. It doesn't matter which game you play. How about a 110lbs jockey on a one ton nag? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Naw, it's a bullrider. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I think its the poopsmith who has to shovel after the rodeo or horseraces.....Now thats a tough position.........

Comment

Middleweight division in boxing.
              Mens rings in gymnastics.
              Worlds strongest man competition.
              Any hockey player.I trained with a guy who was preparing for the start of a semi pro hockey league. The dude was a monster and had the biggest thighs and quads I have ever seen. He was as fast as a rocket and really friggin tough.
              For football (I am a football coach)i would pick anybody on the kick off or punt return team with the exception of the kicker. Those special teams players take a tremendous beating.

Comment

Amen to the World's Strongest Man. I do strongmen competitions and let me tell you, those events are tough. I've done most of the events that are at the World's. Some I'm good at and others not so much. It isn't just about being strong either. You have to be athletic, fast, and have endurance as well. It has become much more of a strength and agility sport than just pure brute strength.

By the way, my training partner is going to the World's in the new 105 kg class. He won the lightweight Nationals a few weeks ago and got an invite to the World's in Finland. Check him out on tv - Willie Wessels. Jgcable, if you follow powerlifting (especially the APF, you might have heard of him).

Comment

Defense Attorney.

Comment

Football: Placekicker - He has to get more **** than anyone on earth.

Baseball: Beer Vender - While the guys on the field are standing around this guy is doing laps around the ballpark. Carring a case of beer! And up and down stairs! WOW, MVP right there.

Hockey: Zamboni Driver - how this guy can resist the urge to run SOMEBODY over with this thing is beyond me.

Basketball: Anyone who does Play By Play with Dick Vitale - Spending three hours with Dickie V is equal to 6 hours of fingernails going down a chalkboard. I have a re-occurring dream that involves myself, a zamboni, and Dickie V. Yeah Baby!

Comment

What about racing cyclists?
                      I was watching parts of the Tour De France on the TV recently - now that calls for some SERIOUS stamina!

I'm not sure how true it is, but I recall reading that it was generally accepted that the toughest, fittest, and all-round hardest bastards were those crazy enough to do the Paris-Dakar on motorcycles.

Comment

Supercross
                        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Amen to the World's Strongest Man. I do strongmen competitions and let me tell you, those events are tough. I've done most of the events that are at the World's. Some I'm good at and others not so much. It isn't just about being strong either. You have to be athletic, fast, and have endurance as well. It has become much more of a strength and agility sport than just pure brute strength.

By the way, my training partner is going to the World's in the new 105 kg class. He won the lightweight Nationals a few weeks ago and got an invite to the World's in Finland. Check him out on tv - Willie Wessels. Jgcable, if you follow powerlifting (especially the APF, you might have heard of him).

[/ QUOTE ]

I only competed in a bench only competition twice. I came in 2nd the first time and 3rd on the second one. The main reason was my age and weight class. There wasn't much competition. I was in the over 40 and under 198 class.
                          There was a 21 year old who wasn't even that big (around 5'7" . He weighed in at 175lbs. He benched 275 30 times and his max was 425 My personal trainers name is Eric Naposki. He is an ex pro NFL'r. He played for the Patriots, Jets, Cowboys and a host of other teams. He was the captain of the WFL team Barzilona Dragons and won the World Super Bowl 3 times in a row. He also won the ESPN tough man competition in the heavyweight division 3 times. He is a black belt, a self defense instructor, a boxing instructor etc. He is 6'1", 265lbs and his max bench press is 490lbs.
                          He truly is a monster who you could never get away from. He runs the 40 in somewhere around 4.2. He is a total inspiration to me and my son who is a powerlifter, a boxer and a HS football player. After reading your posts, you certainly know what you are talking about. I just got over a huge sticking point. I am sure you know how that goes. I was actually afraid of the big weight the last several weeks. I am glad that is over with.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Football - Center; poor guy always gets the first hit after he hikes the ball and barely has time to get his blocks up.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a center, you learn to hike the ball and get your arms up all in one motion. And remember, the center has an advantage. The play doesn't start until HE moves the ball.

(former center and linebacker)
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a center, you learn to hike the ball and get your arms up all in one motion. And remember, the center has an advantage. The play doesn't start until HE moves the ball.

(former center and linebacker)

[/ QUOTE ]
                              And to expand on that... if he is against a gap defense there is no nose guard so he has to block the man away but still stay in his gap. Not to difficult for a big guy with a "high ass" who knows the count.

Comment

Working...
                              X