most difficult position in sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: most difficult position in sports?

Hmmm... not really a position, but I vote for mountaineers (serious ones)as the toughest and most demanding sporting activity.

They have to be in amazing shape, and there's the problem of instant death if they f**k up that's always present.

The true free solo guys (no aid climbing) , these people are insane. Climbing vertical walls with the tiniest hand and footholds. One wrong step, or loose rock and they're tomato paste at the bottom.

Comment

jgcable, what position does your son play in football? I'll tell you right now the best exercise for any football player (except maybe a QB) is the tire flip. You use every muscle in the body and you have to be explosive. It is most useful for linemen, but helps everyone. I would like to see more high schools use the tire flip in their workouts.

Comment

are a lot of these sports mentioned here considered "professional" ?
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hmmm, not sure. I think they play some people to play the footsball. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Goalie. I have been a one for ever now.
            www.kiddhavok.com
            www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Again I would have to say hockey goalie.... when you have a puck flying at your nuts at 80 mph, you will understand why...
              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

The referee at a beach volleyball tournament has to be one on the toughest jobs in sports. Could you imagine having to concentrate on the net with all that great tail jumping in swimsuits that’s riding up their butts? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I actually reffed high school girls vollyball my senior year in HS, Little Freshman girls in tight shorts [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                  I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Ahh...memories.. and I'm not talking vollyball.

Comment

Still supercross is the hardest sport in the world, If you've ever tried to ride a "real" spercross track with the tripples and big whoops, you know what I'm talking about
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

In terms of a single skill, hitting a major league baseball is probably the most difficult - if you fail 7 out of ten times, you can be an all-star, and if you fail 6 out of 10 times you are one of the greatest hitters of all time.

On the other hand, in golf if you fail only a handfull of times in a professional tournament (e.g. 5 or 10 errors out of 4 rounds - 288 or so shots for par - you are toast.

As a position, I think NFL quarterback is the most difficult. You have to know a gazillion plays, and for each of those plays, what to do for each of the gazillion defensive schemes you might face; then for the passing plays, you must read the defense and check off up to 4 or 5 potential receivers in only a few seconds. You don't have to be the most athletic person in the world, but you do have to have an extreme combination of physical and mental skill to succeed.

Comment

Actually speaking of goalies, anyone ever see the Life Magazine story on Terry Sawchuk when they detailed all his scars, and broken thingamabobs. I beleive his death at 40 was related to his stopping slap shots with his head too many times without useing a mask. He couldnt even raise his arms past his shoulder level after awhile.

Still I think the best goalie injusry is still when Clint Malarchuck was cut on the jugular by a skate......

But then there was that time that Willie Plett took his stick, and did a two handed bash right on top of a goalies head. Dont remember who the goalie was, but Im sure the goalie probobly doesnt remember who he is either........

Comment

I was watching that Sabers game when Clint took it to the Jugular. I think I turned white.

Ya gotta love Plett.

Comment

Back before goalies started to wear helmets, a guy from the North Stars ( I think it was them anyways) took a puck to the forehead.. He was dead before he hit the ice. Hockey is a very dangerous sport indeed. Things snap, break, bend, and shatter at an alarming rate... maybe I should find something safer to do?
                              Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                              The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Actually that was Bill Masterson, and he died when he slammed the back of his head against the ice. This is the only one I know of that died instantly from being hit by the puck:
                                http://www.canoe.ca/Health0203/20_hockey-ap.html

Comment

Working...
                                X