Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell

Alright lads.
    Am thinking of getting a Dell desktop for me next year at Uni. Basically because I paid £100 for an old 166 laptop, and they do a 2400 for £299. Its not a laptop but its a flatscreen so space will be ok.
    Any things to watch out for with Dell? Are they shite or something?
    Thanks guys

Jamesy

Re: Dell

Don't do it, Dell sucks big dong bro! Get anything but a Dell!

Pat

Comment

Ive got a Dell and Ive never had any probs out of it.....it has a flat panel monitor CD/DVD player/burner...and 200 gig hard drive....no idea how much it cost....I bought it while daddy was on a drunk and I "borrowed" his credit card....it beats the hell outta the POS HP we had before....you couldnt log into the JCF and check your email without it crashing...

Mrs LPC

Comment

I have a Dell laptop. Never had any problems..................

Comment

I've got an HP [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img].... No problems really, just wish I'd got something faster.

Comment

Desktop: piece one together yourself by selecting quality components from different vendors. You get the best machine at the best price.

If you don't want to do that, i see no major flaws with Dell desktops nowadays compared to other brands in the same price range.

Laptop: Dell, IBM and Toshiba. 2 years ago i bought a Dell laptop as my main machine and it's the best PC decision i ever made.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks guys. The thing is, I was getting a friend of a friend to piece together one and the components cost as much as this pc and this has a keyboard, mouse and flatscreen too. And its black and evil! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Pat - Why do Dells suck dong? Bear in mind Im on a PII-400 with a 3gig hard drive on a 56k connection.

James

Comment

If a knowledgeable guy (nerd) pieces one together, it will kick Dell's ass and others, bigtime.
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have a dell as well, no problems here, so I don't see why pat has against them??

Harrald

Comment

I have two Dell desktops I use now. I bought them about 2.5 years ago and haven't had a single problem with either of them.

Comment

We used to use their servers a year or so ago and they're junk, we had about a 30% failure from various hardware parts. These are different lots, months apart. Their Customer service is the worst known to man, maybe short of Gateway, but either way, I'd stear clear of Dell, I'll never own another one...

I'm with the others, build your own, go to www.pricewatch.com www.nextag.com and the others out there, eBay's not a bad place to get components, just make sure the seller's got a boatload of feedback and primarily sells computer hardware.

Peace!
                      Pat

Comment

Build your own desktop...

Laptop...Alienware and Sony VAIO...

Comment

you may get a pc for the same price, but if you put it together yourself it will be much more of higher quality.....yeah does that make sense?
                          www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

On my second Dell laptop over the past four years: never so much as a hiccup. In fact, all my work, every day, has been done on a Dell laptop.

But all my desktops (and server) I built myself... dunno squat about Dell desktops.

For what any of that is worth! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            Keith
                            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

My company gets thousands of Dells. They are fine computers. The thing about putting one together yourself is that you are really living on the edge - you get no support from anyone but yourself and you had better know what to do to resolve interoperability issues - the thing about buying a PC already built is that the configuration has been tested. I've put together tons of PCs myself and it is a very fragile thing - many top peripheral vendors continue to interpret things like the PCI or AGP bus specifications in their own "special" way that works most of the time.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X