Dell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell

Hey, Pat, isn't Dell corporate / server / business support a whole different division than their consumer support? Just thinking out loud, is all. Maybe for school, a bargain Dell with a one or two or three year warranty might do the trick...

K
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Dell is fine. If there's a brand that you should avoid, it should be Acer. You know what's left when I bought Acer few years ago? Keyboard...

Comment

Dell Desktop and Laptop here.... nothin' but praise.

Comment

I have 5 Dells 4 years old and newer, and one dell server. I have also built my own. I have not had any problems with the Dells (knock on Wood) Probably jinxing myself [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
          Not too many problems on the Home built either. Where you save I think with a Dell is the software. Plus I just got a Flat panel upgrade for free [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Building your own is a great learning experience though.

Comment

I have two Dell laptops and they have never given me any problems.One is two years old and get bounced around quite a bit.The other one which is brand new , was bought to replace my desktop
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I was actually speaking of the support from a consumer/home user side, I've heard nothing but horror stories, but maybe things have changed, who knows, but I won't be buying another. We also had some issues with resolution problems with our own contracts with them as well. To each his own I suppose.

I'll second the Vaio Laptop.

Pat

Comment

I Love my VAIO Laptop. Cant let go of it. Actually I use the laptop for everything now. I have the Dells at work.

Comment

My friend Heather bought a DEll about two years ago and it was a really nice computer-very fast (until it recently acquired a ton of adware/spyware/hijacking crap and crashed-but that was mostly her fault) She just had it reformatted and outfitted with good firewall protection and it is back to being a sweet machine. She had to deal with their customer service a few times about her printer, and they were great-sent the replacement and a return shipping box for the old one in a few days. Plus their sale prices are unbelievable-but they will get you on SHIPPING! That $299 computer will cost you another hundred or so to ship it. YOu might be better off going to a Dell dealer (I think SEARS sells them) and avoiding that charge.

Comment

If you are going to do any serious gaming, stay away from any and all major name brands. Odds are they are going to have lame onboard video and all OEM components. A lady brought me in a Compaq last week fresh from Walmart and it had 8 meg max video memory and that is beyond sad for a brand new 2.4GHz machine.

All the Major name brand computer "Manufacturers" (they are really no more than computer assemblers) will use the cheapest components possible to get you a new PC as cheap as possible. You ARE getting what you pay for.

Matt

Comment

Sony Vaio's are great but expensive. I've heard Dell's were good from everyone I know who have owned them. I've got a VPR matrix built by Best Buy and has worked pretty good. It's been crashing alot lately and I think I just need to reformat it. The only computer I will never own is an HP! Well and maybe Acer and eMachines... they're junk too...

Comment

Working...
                      X