Man on the Silver Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man on the Silver Mountain

<font color="red"> Can anyone tell me how many differnt versions of this song there are? I have 3 by Dio and some have a guitar solo in them, some don't , Then I heard one Live Rainbow Version that had all this weired stuff in the Middle and another live version from Rainbow in Germany that had even weirder stuff in the middle. Is any of that stuff actually in the original song? </font> [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Man on the Silver Mountain

RJD has rerecorded this song several times over the years but I'm not sure how many times though. I think I have 4 versions but I never really sat and compared them...

Comment

Would you happen to have the Intermission version. I can't find it anywhere around here.

Comment

Hammerfall recorded it. It's a pretty cool version, pretty close to the original. But Dio just has THE VOICE.

Comment

There is only one studio version of the song--with Ronnie singing, that is. It was the lead-off track on the first Rainbow album in 1975.

You are most likely referring to the live performing versions that Ronnie did with Rainbow in the late '70s. These were actually a medley of several things: Silver Mountain/Ritchie's blues solo/Starstruck/Ronnie's little Gospel-like rap that leads back into the end of Silver Mountain. This medley stayed pretty much the same on all three tours that Ronnie sang with Rainbow. I can't remember what Ritchie did with the song after Ronnie left Rainbow--I think he got rid of the medley section.

If I recall, that little instrumental blues number that Ritchie played during the Silver Mountain medley was one he had also played earlier in Deep Purple during the extended version of "You Fool No One" in 1974-75.

Since he went solo in 1983, Ronnie has almost always played "Silver Mountain" as part of some kind of medley, where he usually puts in his "I'm the Man" gospel thingy that he first did in Rainbow.

Silver Mountain is one of my alltime favorite songs. I'm still partial to the studio version--most of the live versions over the years have been performed at a much faster tempo, which doesn't work as well with that incredible guitar riff, in my opinion.

Comment

<font color="yellow"> Thanks for the info guys! I do have the hammerfall version, plus the version off of the Sacred heart video in addition to the other 3 Dio versions I have.

I DO NOT Like Craig Goldy 's version at all and the Tracy G, well I'm sorry but he sucks so bad that he didn't even attempt to do a solo on it.

Vivian Campbell is the man however and I love the faster live version(sorry Pro Fusion), that's why I had no idea what was in the original version cause I never listened to it all the way through.

I would like to know if Rainbow ever did that song with Joe Lynn Turner, and if there are any bootlegs of that out there to hear. While he isn't Dio, I always kiked Rainbow with him in it. </font>

Comment

Rainbow may not have performed that song while Joe Lynn Turner was the singer--it's not on the concert video that was released in 1982. That was from the 'Straight Between The Eyes' tour--I don't know what the setlist was like on Joe's first tour with Rainbow for the 'Difficult to Cure' album. I'm not aware of any bootlegs out there that include Joe singing MotSM. In general, they moved away from any kind of 'medieval metal' influence while Turner was in Rainbow, since they were trying to be more of a pop band.

I do know that MotSM was included in the setlist while Graham Bonnet was in Rainbow in 1979-80.

Comment

Joe Lynn Turner RUINED Rainbow. What was Ritchie thinkin??
                I saw Dio In the late 80s where Yngwie joined him onstage for MOTSM and Craig Goldie looked like he wanted to go into hiding
                http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I think Joe Lynn Turner was the 2nd best singer Rainbow had! Stone Cold being my fav with him. RJD is definitely the #1 singer for them though!

Comment

Graham Bonnet has some pipes, though. I think I like him better than Turner. Dio does have my vote for #1 though. That guy is just awesome.

Comment

We do MOTSM in our shows. Great song! We actually do 3 DIO tunes; Holy Diver, Last in Line, and Silver Mountain. I don't care for the ultra fast live version either. Studio version is most excellent. I always thought pretty highly of Goldy but I haven't heard him play that song so....

Comment

I always have liked Bonnet's voice--and "Down to Earth" is one of the best Rainbow albums.

Comment

Hey TmDiamond, I would love to hear you guys do those tunes. Is there any way you could get me a copy of you doing that stuff.

We just started doing Man on the Silver mountain and I would love to let you guys hear it, BUT my bass player hacks it up along with everything else so it's a little embarassing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I do know that Joe Lynn Turner did Long Live Rock and Roll with Rainbow, I saw him do that.

Oh and you can see or her Craig Goldy doing it on the Sacred Heart Video or the intermissoion cd.

Comment

I don't have any recordings of us yet but that may be changing very soon. When I build a big studio room in the basement next month, I'm going to put in a ProTools Digi002 system. I'll start doing some recording again. In the meantime, you can hear us play those songs live this weekend at Riverside in St Charles, MO. We start around 9pm and wrap it up around 1am. Most of our tunes are 80's metal- MAiden, Priest, DIO, Ozzy, Ratt, Crue, Dokken, Krokus, Scorpions, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Van Halen, SRV, Vandenberg, etc, and newer stuff like, Creed, Alter Bridge, Nickelback, and other heavier bands.

Comment

I like the version with Doug Aldrich and Simon Wright.

Comment

Working...
                              X