Just got my new engine dynoed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my new engine dynoed!!!

Can't hold back the excitement! My 3.5 year project is finally entering the final stages of completion.

Here's some background. It's a '92 Z28 25th Anniv., originally a 350. Well almost 4 yrs. ago I cracked an axle and originally just planned on building up a new rear end. I had a 4th gen. Camaro rear end built up 3:73 gears, Moser axles etc...and then one thing turned into another. Ended up doing a Baer brake system, complete suspension upgrade, tore the top end of the engine down etc. Well later decided to just build up a new 383 stroker. Tore the block and trans out...had the engine built, tran built...pretty much everything on the car's been touched. My plan is to make her my ultimate car...
    Well my engine builder did well. I had the 383 dynoed and she's got 523hp and 482ft/lbs tq. It's pretty much what I was shooting for. She was dynoed with a carb due to my car being fuel injected. But I'm confident that I'll be able to break 525hp and 500ft/lbs with the right tuning and my Miniram intake! Can't wait to get the car rolling on the street (or the track) again!
    Just had to share my excitement!

- Joel [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: Just got my new engine dynoed!!!

Daaaaaaaaaaamn. What do you think the HP will be at the rear wheels? 475? Thats killer. Man, I want to do a car again. I feel car gas coming on!

Jim
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

My uncle just did a 92 TA, 383, Accel FI. I don't think it made the #'s your's did, but He's having real problems at the track with the 700R4, and Unless you used a 8.5in ring and pinion in your 10 bolt, You'll be buying a new axle SOON. The only 8.5 10 bolts were in the Buick GN's. All the 4th gens were just regular 7.5in ring and pinnions. those are awsome freaking #'s though. If you can pull it all together I could see 11's at the track, which is sweet
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Nice numbers Joel that should make for a very fun ride.I have a 383 for my 70 Camaro and would love to see those kind of numbers out it.I am jonesing to get my 94Z back on the road(launched the motor NACSAR style big cloud of white smoke [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])I agree with Drsracing that rear is not going to last long at all.I would definitely start looking a Strange or Moser 12 bolt.Got any pics of the car?.What heads and cam etc are in the motor?.
        Mike
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Ehh, I'd to a good old ford 9 inch in it, pretty bulletproof for the most part. And rest assured, with a Ford part in your car, it has to go faster...

Might be a bummer to contemplate that with all the brake stuff you have now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Congrats though! Sounds cool Joel...

Comment

They make bolt in 9in's for that car so that'd be what I'd do. Same with a 12 bolt or a Dana60

Comment

If he used the 4th gen brakes on the car a 12 bolt would be much easier to swap in and probably cheaper to.Plus he would not have to deal the weird pinion angles that the 9 inch would create and the weld on torque arm mount.If it was a G or A body I would say go with the 9 inch.The 12 bolt should handle 700-800hp with no problems if he feel the need to spray the car also.
              Mike

Comment

Yep, Didn't think of that, I'd swap a 6 speed into it too. I've never been a fan of the 700r's

Comment

Wow, someone is going to be spending their paychecks on tires!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Yep, Didn't think of that, I'd swap a 6 speed into it too. I've never been a fan of the 700r's

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither if I do not go with a the new Tremec TKO-600 in the 70.I am going to use a 2004R they both end up costing the same when all is said and done.
                    Mike

Comment

Sweet......if you insist on keeping fuel injection.....either go with a full aftermarket setup through Accel ( your best and cheapest bet ) or upgrade the existing setup. The factory EFI units for those cars were weak even for the stock 5.7L ......you will need to upgrade the plenum and runners, the fuel injectors, and the fuel pump to get the most out of it and to keep the cylinders from running lean. Also send the CPU off to have it programmed for the new configuration to adjust the fuel/spark curve.
                      I , myself would run a carb configuration with a standard tranny.........you may need to get an after market hood more than likely to get the intake , carb and air filter to fit under the hood if you use a raised plenum.

Since it is a 383 stroker, you would probably be better off with a stock height plenum....the 383 is a low end grunt motor , usually, with most of its power being made in the 1500 to 6500 RPM range. -Lou
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Lou's right, the low end torque kicks ass on a 383. The accel unit is the best, I'll try to get the specs on my uncles TA, it's a pretty sweet ride. In the past year I've had my fill of injected and turbo cars, I'm gonna stick with my Carbs

Comment

Make sure you have really large fender washers under your bucket seat mounting bolts. And I thought my chevy powered Austin Healey Mark I was fast.. Congratz on making some SERIOUS torque and HP.

Comment

If you've never staged a car like that, the 1st time you're at the tree with the engine at about 3000RPM ready to go and you let off the brake at the green light, it's like sex

Comment

The fastest car I was ever in was a 68 426 hemi dart. I was crying it was so fast (and I drove a 69 383 big block GTS Dart at the time). Recently a buddy of mine took me for a drive in his 2004 25th anniversary SVT Cobra. It is 390HP stock from the factory with a 6 speed and brembo brakes. It was crazy fast but controlled. Nothing like the feeling of a big block waking up.

Comment

Working...
                              X