Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike related - What a friggin nightmare!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike related - What a friggin nightmare!!!

Well, as many of you know, I blew my bike up in Sturgis a month ago or so. Well, here's the story, I'll trya nd cut it up and make it as short as possible so it's easy to read. But I'd really like some feedback from those of you "in the know" So please let me know your thoughts and sugegstions...

For those of you who know about the Sturgis deal, skip to the red...

Wed - August 11th

Riding in Wyoming, Devils Tower, Gillette, etc I was riding down the mountain coming back to Sturgis, and when I'd let off the throttle, my bike sounded like an old man with Emphysema it was making a horid noise, sounded like the cam, right side of the bike, down in the motor. So I get back to Sturgis, stop at a mechanic that was open, asked him for an ear, it made the same noise throttling up to about 4k. He said, fairly certain it was the cam, and a new cam job with gears, replacing the chains would be about 5 hrs and $8-900, I said OK. Went to the next guy, he basically said the same thing, so I went back to Carl's, he said to bring it in first thing in the morning and he'd get it done right away. To make a long story short, I ended up going to 5 mechanics the next day. I eventually went to J&P cycles, they had 5 mechanics there, the guy that listened to it first, said the same thing as the previous 4, cam job. They said they could get to it pretty quickly, so I left it there and walked around, 30 minutes later, dude calls, says it's the Crank, I asked what are my options, he says drive it till it dies, or get a new motor, or have this one rebuilt. Since this was noon on Thurs, I asked around to see if I could get a new motor and finsih the rest of the weekend, Went to S&S, RevTech, etc, S&S told me the same thing, but they can't honestly say without pulling the cam cover off, he said to go to Speed's, he's the best out here. So I did and sure enough, it's the cam.

So, I'm staying in Rapid City, on the way back to the hotel, I stopped at Rapid City HD, grabbed a dude, he looks up my VIN, says I have no warranty, I saidsh!t, k, you got a motor, nope...

So I went back, showered, relaxed a bit, went back out to go see Jackyl, try to start the bike, click click click, toast! I went to Outback and got trashed...

<font color="red"> For those of you who know about the Sturgis deal, start here... </font>

Next day, threw it on the trailer and came home. Since I have no warranty, I decide to do this myself, so I grabbed the service manual and yanked the motor. I called around to get the best deal on one adn my buddy at Ted's says I got one for $3800, I said done. I go to pick it up, I'm talking with another bud of mine there, he asks waht happened, blah blah blah, and looks up my VIN, and continues to say, OH, you got the extended service plan, all covered under warranty, I said well, that's cool, BUT, the bikes apart and the motor's sitting out. He said bring it up, we'll get on it, but we can't get it done for a month/month and a half.

August 18th or so - So I called around to another HD dealer, Gateway to the west, BIG FRIGIN MISTAKE!!! The said they can get me in right away, cool, be there tomorrow. I go, drop it off, they take a week to "get me in right away" so they tear it down, said there's nothing wrong with it and they need the rest of the bike, I said ummm, OK, this is in the middle of me planning a total re-custom job, so I was pissed, but whatever, get er done. So I take the rest of the bike there, in boxes, not even a rolling chassis, but I get it there. They take about a day to put it all back together and tell me they need to order some parts, I say which parts, they need a compensator nut/bolt whatever, I said how soon will it get here, they say, a week or so, so I'm thinking BS, I'll have one there for you tomorrow, which I did. So come to find out, the reason they needed this, is because they tried to start it and as soon as they hit the starter, nothing but metal grinding and just locked up... So basically, they didn't put it back together right, cause it certainly wasn't like that before. So I got them the parts, gave them another day or two with it, i call, they said they're waiting on more parts, this is last week now, parts should be in Thurs. I said OK, I have an important ride on Sunday, I have to have my bike, no problem they say... I call them Sat, nope, stillw aiting on parts, I asked what parts? He never gave me an answer. I was pissed and let him know I was. So I call yesterday, around noon, ask them wwhat the deal is, oh the dude's off today, I said Iw asn't waiting any longer, I'll be picking it up shortly, gather all the parts together. I go over, get the bike, and the problem appears to be in the primary, so I yankled it and ordered a Primo Brute 3.5" open belt drive, over nighted, I'm looking at the bike and something's WAY wrong with what I'm seeing and I'm no expert by any means, but here's what I see:

I started freaking and pulled that pulley off the crank shaft and low and behold, I find this:

Keep in mind, when I pulled the motor, I looked for any obvious signs of damage, metal shavings, etc, nothing, I was looking at this:

The rotor is on the left side of that primary assembly, look,. clean, new, no visual issues, I even pulled it off and looked at the alternator.

Anyway, so this was yesterday, around 4pm, I didn't call them, I emailed these pics to Ted's and my buds were freakin out. Here's s few other pics of the damage.

I think I need to go straight to corporate on this one, with my attorney.

There's metal everywhere, chunks and chunks. They drilled that rotor, there's obvous air hammer marks, therre's a chunk out of the crank shaft from an air hammer, they had to cut the compensator bolt/assembly off with a torch and a saw. I'm just freaking out man, I can't fukkin belive they could do something like this!!!!!!!!

I think I need to demand a new bike or something out of this, this is so wacked, it's unreal!!!!

Thoughts, ideas? How could this have happened when it was perfect when I dropped it off?

Pat

Re: Bike related - What a friggin nightmare!!!

it amazing what companies will hire. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] I mean seriously how stupid do you have to be to f*ck something up that bad. Sh*t I would have gone f*cking balistic. Someone would have ended up with air hammer marks on there forhead. I say definetly call your lawyer and see what can be done from a legal stand point. Definetly don't do what I would have done and if you already have then f*uck calling the lawyer just run really really fast for canada and go as far north as you can but not towards alaska. Get a big *ss coat and hide in the canadian wilderness for a few months then go to russia or something like that. They will never think to look there.

Comment

My brother spent 2-3 years building his Harley...he finished it early June. He took it to someplace to get it tuned...get the carb set etc. The bike sat there for over a month without them even touching it. Then he took it to a new place....it was supposed to be done in a week or so...it took like 2.5 weeks. Well at least it got done. I went with him to pick it up form the place. We're loading it on the trailer and he notices the top caps on the inverted Ceriani forks he has are gouged up to ****...there's even scratches on the triple trees (but not as bad). Those dumbasses tried to remove the top caps on the forks to change the fork oil...but the caps aren't removable...for inverted forks you fill it form the bottom. These guys are Ceriani dealers too. My brother even faxed over the instructions for them too! Well...the one guy said my brother told them to "get the caps off by any means"...complete BS...who in their right mind would say that about a bike they spent 3 years building?
      It seems to be pretty damn tough to find a GOOD bike shop!
      Do whatever it takes Pat...get this done...they're causing you to miss riding...what's left of it for the season!

- Joel
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

hate that for ya man, its a real bad nightmare that ya just cant wake up from.
        #1 rule is to know your mech. and shop personally or do the work your self.
        i have a '58 model harley and my mech works with me on stuff i cant do alone, kinda looks over my shoulder while i am doin the job to make sure i am doin things right....or to take over when i start getting outta hand.
        i would think that you could at least get the price of the repairs from the shop that screwed up. take it to the shop you went to 1st and let them do the repairs and sue the other shop....just remember to stand over your baby while the repairs are being done this time.

Comment

This just ain't your month! Geez that sucks.

Comment

Working...
          X