Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more recess

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Karyn (with a "y") Clarke obviously was harrassed way too many times on the playground as a kid.
    How much does this blow?!

story here

Re: No more recess

Theyre just a bunch of poopyheaded peepee touchers.......

Comment

That frigging sucks. It pisses me off that some people just don't want kids to be kids. We've all seen what happens to the kids that weren't allowed to have fun growing up. Some of them turn out pretty scary.

Comment

Yep, another black eye for the Evergreen State. Tacoma has a complex because they are a Seattle wannabe. Tacoma is know for the smell of the city, hence the nick name "The Aroma of Tacoma"
        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

What a b!tch!!!

Comment

We just moved from Issaquah, Washington and let me tell you the public schools there were fuckin' pathetic. They were a complete joke. My son's school was horrible. The year before last the teachers were on strike for almost two months, his school had 3 principals in 4 years, about 1/3 of the staff left each year. And this wasn't like some troubled area with no money - we were surrounded by thousands of millionaires. I am so glad we got out of there.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim,
              I'm with you, Seattle's public school system suck!All those bloody teachers were always on strike. And yet we don't see improvement with the kids' results even after we give in to their demands.

Fong

Comment

I think the interaction that kids get at recess is another important part of them developing good social skills to interact with each other.

It's really wrong for them to alter that. I'd wonder if it is because they are trying to limit insurance liabilities since kids get hurt sometimes playing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  It's fine for children to have a brief break on a particular day because they are restless or sluggish, Clarke told the newspaper — but it's not supposed to be a daily occurrence.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we all know every child of a given group gets restless and sluggish at exactly the same time. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

While I don't agree with giving them 10 minutes of play after every 30 minutes of work, 3 evenly-spaced breaks in the day is not going to turn kids into illiterate sloths. Lowering testing standards to let the lazy have a smoother ride is what's doing that. If a kid can master a video game or a sport, he can just as well sit in a classroom and learn from a book IF the teachers themselves can pass the tests they give on the subjects they teach.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I love the line about how the little pumpkins have to settle for moving around the class or through the school to get exercize. Can they dribble basketballs in the hall? And using PE to address the obesity issue is just plain laughable. "Hey, kids what do you want for lunch? We have nachos; pizza; chicken nuggets or two scoops of lard, if you are in a real rush." [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

mmm Lard [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        If a kid can master a video game or a sport, he can just as well sit in a classroom and learn from a book IF the teachers themselves can pass the tests they give on the subjects they teach.
                        Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the key right there.
                        I am seeing some lazy teachers lately, not all, but some. My daughter's teachers send home an awful lot of work that the parents are specifically instructed to be involved in. Sounds like a hand-off to me. We're involved in her school and keep up with her education and follow-thru at home but these "family" projects that are sent home drive me nuts.
                        So far what I've seen of Texas testing standards, they are pretty high. There are things my daughter is learning that I didn't learn until much later.

But the kids need a break and need to run around. Excersize outside needs to be encouraged. I don't see how keeping kids cooped up is going to help them concentrate any better. Get a breath of fresh air, get the blood flowing to the brain... you're much more refreshed and ready to focus again. I would think teachers would welcome this.

Em

Comment

More good news about Seattle:
                          http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2004...thisSpeed=6000
                          Hey, were number #1 [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Give your child some brass knuckles and have her punch them in the forhead..

that's what I used to do at recess ...Times have changed.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

What's next, no bathroom breaks? The homework issue is a push off to the parents. I get stuff that I'm suppose to help with and I have no problem with that. I should be there to help them, but they don't explain well enough to the kid on what there are to do, so I spend a good amount of time trying to figure it out, then trying to explain to the kid so he can understand. They say home work should be only 30 to 40 minutes a night...my ass! Oh, I have 3 kids, so triple the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X