Most Influential Guitarists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Influential Guitarists

With the most under rated thread going Bill touched on something that got me to thinking. We always do a best of or most under rated. I don't think we have ever done a most influential on guitar playing itself. Lets complile a list of guitarist who changed guitar playing for their generation or some ground breaking technique.

These are in no particular order.

Chet Atkins - his hybrid finger picking style changed the face of country music. It can still be heard in todays modern country songs and some rock (Dire Straits).

Bob Marley - defined the reggae sound. No reggae then no ska bands from the late 70s and early 80s.

EVH - as doc would say "NUFF said".

Jimi Hendrix - guitar legend.

Robert Johnson - introduced the world to the delta blues.

Chuck Berry - pushed the boundries of rock in its infancy. first guitarist whose shoes weren't nalied to the floor. The famous duck walk.

Eric Clapton - On most list people slam him. But I think he deserves a spot on this list. His early work with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers inlfuenced the entire second wave of the british invasion. Townsend, Beck, Page. I think you can hear early Clapton in some of their early works. Plus Cream broke the ice for progressive music. Their concerts were nothing but jam sessions.

Ritchie Blackmore - To me the god father of heavy metal. Iommi comes to mind for most people. But Deep purple was already rocking when Sabbath was still a blues band called Earth. Blackmores solos were a little more technical than his compitition.

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - His Neo classical style gave birth to shred. Honorable mention Randy Rhoads. RR was branching into classical when he was killed I don't know if he would have continued to the point that Yngwie took it to.

Dick Dale - First guitarist to introduce a machine gun style strumming technique. Helped develope the Fender Strat.

SRV - brought the blues to the modern masses. Great blues lead player.

I am sure I have missed several people. Fire away.

Brian

Re: Most Influential Guitarists

The most influental are definetly Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen
    Then Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ace Freshley, Tony Iommi
    Also Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ritchie Blackmore are very important.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Endrik, I think your list focusson on the rock side of the picture, I think the list above by Brian covers a lot more.

I do mis one name though, Steve Vai, he changed the instrumental guitar stuff quite a bit I would say.

Harrald

Comment

Iommi for sure. I'm sure just about every guitar player here started out with Iron Man and Paranoid. And let's not forget Tipton and Downing, for some reason they get overlooked alot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Endrik, I think your list focusson on the rock side of the picture, I think the list above by Brian covers a lot more.

I do mis one name though, Steve Vai, he changed the instrumental guitar stuff quite a bit I would say.

Harrald

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I focused on rock players.
          Ok let's take other players then:
          Al Di Meola - no comments
          Paco De Lucia - definetly the best Flamenco player ever
          Django Reinhardt - he is a major influence to all Jazz players
          Chuck Berry, Elvis, Bill Haley - The Kings Of Rock'N'Roll
          Chet Atkins - He made country popular
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If you include Vai, you've got to include Satch as well. Surfing With the Alien was the first instrumental "shred" album to hit the charts. That opened the door for a lot of guys.

Comment

Ronny Jarzombeck - Taking super technical playing and making it no only listenable but at times very funny.
              Jason Becker/Marty Friedman - For being the most heinous guitar duo the planet has or will ever see.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Cool thread but remenber ...we are not talking about "our" or "your" or" my" favorite players here ...this is The most "influential"..

I would have to say the biggest names in this games would be ..

Chuck Berry , Hendrix *, Page , Clapton , Iommi , Ed *, Yngwie* , and I'm sure some some country and blues players are in the mix as well..

*I think it was cool that these three guys shaped three decades ...they really made their styles ...well ours.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Influential? In terms of what?

What inspires a kid to want to go get guitar?
                  If so, you've got to add more guys like Bob Dylan, Keef, George, Paul, and John, Ace Frehley, Cobain, Santana, Jerry Garcia.

Or, what inspires someone to be a better player?
                  I'd add Les Paul, James Burton, Wes Montgomery, BB King, Freddie Green, Pat Metheny, Robin Trower, SRV, Albert King, etc.

The most influential person in the guitar world is probably Mel Bay [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

How about Stevie Ray, Alvin Lee and Roy Buchanon?

[edit] I see endrick already had SRV
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah in a weird perverted way Kurt Cobain inpired a sea of grunging bastages for nearly a decade...so there you go

So he insprired more people than the likes of Mike Romeo or Jarzombek...wow.

I would say the Beatles...even though I really don't like the friggin' beatles..

No SRV took what Hendrix gave and ran with it ...just like Trower , Marino , Uli and a sea of others..

all players can be traced to main roots like a family tree..

usually Hendrix , Ed and Yngwie will always be the most common factor..along with the likes of other heavy hitters as Page , Iommi and such..

Most influential would mean the one that mostly changed the way guitar was played and approached ....Benchmarks ...the biggest benchmarkers!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

For example Tony Levin was the big influence on me with bass when I saw him with a chapman stick ...I took what he did on the stick and adapted it to the bass....but he didn't touch everyboby like that just a few I would assume...same goes with dudes like Jarzombek , Freidman and such ...because those dudes were Ed fanatics...so it goes back to Ed really.

Comment

oh my god! we've forgotten a HUGE player! not mentioned on this list or the other list going on... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] carlos santana [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Pete Townshend
                            Jimmy Page
                            Elvis

Comment

Johnny Ramone!

Comment