Name your inspirational tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name your inspirational tunes

Name the songs that were a turning point, epiphany, or otherwise magical in your development as a musician for whatever reason.

These are all songs that I have vivid memories of their impact on me. All for different reasons.

<ul type="square">[*]Blue Wind - Jeff Beck - Wired[*]No Quarter - Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same[*]Detroit Rock City - Kiss[*]Stop (The Love You Save) - Jackson 5[*]Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower[*]Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Yas Out[*]Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen[*]The Attitude Song - Steve Vai - from the flexible disc in Guitar Player[*]Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats[*]Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd[*]Flight Over Rio - Al DiMeola[*]Tales of Brave Ulyssess - Cream[*]Back in Black - AC/DC[*]Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden[*]Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath[*]Jammin' - Bob Marley[*]More Than a Feeling - Boston[*]Wild World - Cat Stevens[*]Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant[*]Peacekeeper - Fleetwood Mac (this is a very recent one)[*]Shapes of Things - Gary Moore[*]Victims of Changes - Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East[*]The Lady Wore Black - Queensryche[*]Unsung - Helmet[*]So What - Miles Davis[*]Fight Fire With Fire - Metallica[*]Flirtin' With Disaster - Molly Hatchet[*]I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra[*]All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix[*]Stevie - Pat Travers[*]Lady of the Lake - Rainbow[*]Take Her - Rough Cutt[*]Round and Round - Ratt[*]Kiss From A Rose - Seal[*]Scarborough Fair - Simon &amp; Garfunkel[*]Walk - Pantera[*]La Villa Strangiato - Rush[*]Put Yourself In My Shoes - Clint Black[*]Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 - Live at Red Rocks[*]Amazing Grace - sung by anyone that can sing that is not in a boy band[/list]

This was a little longer than I thought it'd be but I'm old enough to have had a few things that inspired me along the way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Name your inspirational tunes

That's funny, the first tune to come to my mind when I saw the subject was Blue Wind [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Some more would be
    Cast away your chains-ULI
    Far Beyond the Sun-OyVay Numsteen
    I'm too tired to think anymore
    Great White Buffalo-Ted
    Senor Mouse, Race with Devil on Spanish Highway-Al Dimeola
    Wake up Dead-Megadeth
    Lazy-Deep-Purple
    Into the Arena-MSG
    Out on the Tiles-Zeppelin
    Pride o the Farm-Dixie Dregs
    Catch your Train-Scorps
    Discipline-King Crimson
    Cygnus X1-Rush
    Roundabout-Yes
    Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-Genesis
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

I'll keep this one short:

Silent Force - New Experiment - When I was first getting together with my ex this album came out and we would frequently "have a good time" listening to it.
      Marty Friedman - Cheer Girl Rampage - Possibly the most odd song in his entire catalouge and that's why I love it.
      Jason Becker - Altitudes - That song chokes me up.
      Masterplan - Heros - Combine Jorn my favorite vocalist who's not Dio and Kiske in a song with such a powerfull and possitive message. Always makes me happy hearing it.
      Paul Gilbert - I Am Satan - This song's so damn funny
      Mr Big - Static - The entire Get Over It album is great but this song just has all the emotion and virtuoso playing needed to get a reaction out of me.
      Firewind - Brother's Keeper - The most mellow song from a heavy band but it's got an interesting chord progression not used regularly in metal and a great message too.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Eminem- Till I Collapse
        Eminem- Soldier
        Paul Oakenfold- This is Trance
        AzN Pryde- Got Rice I, II, III, IV
        Black Label Society- Battering Ram
        Pearl Jam - Better Man
        Mr. Big - Strike Like Lightening

Comment

Tommy Lee- Blue, the first time I heard the Demo I cried
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Rainbow - "All Night Long". Ritchie's solo made me want to learn to play.

Eric Johnson's entire "Tones" disc. I sat stunned for the entire disc when I first heard it. I can still remember it being a dreary fall day but that album totally captivated me.

Van Halen's cover of "You Really Got Me." The attitude and everything about it.

Steve Morse on "Tumeni Notes" and "Simple Simon". Awesome technical playing on some very catchy tunes. A lesson to be learned there, I'd say.

The first time I heard Joe Stump was very inspirational and getting his two instructional DVD's were big kicks to my rear end to practice more.

Great topic, this one. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

X: Los Angeles
              AC DC: God wears a school uniform
              U2: Boy, War, Joshua Tree,etc.... Less can be more.
              Duran Duran: Changed the look of my hair and put a hole in the ozone layer.
              SRV: There is Something about chicks in wranglers &amp; boots
              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Basically ANY Steve Vai tune...

Comment

Working...
                X