Saw Jeff Pilson, Mitch Perry last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Jeff Pilson, Mitch Perry last night

Myself and the other guitar player in my band were making the rounds last night, trying to book a couple gigs. One of the places we went to was called Dingbatz, in Clifton, NJ. On our arrival we saw that Pilson was ready to go on, so in we went. Sadly the place was empty. Maybe 10 people in the joint. They got fired up and played for about 1 1/2 hours. They mostly played Pilson's War and Peace stuff but cracked out some classic Dokken. Tooth and Nail, Into the Fire.
    Mitch Perry had a simple, but VERY loud and killer sounding setup. Cort guitars--->Boss stompbox tuner--->delay pedal(I think---->JCM 900 50watt head---->one 4x12 Marshall cab(old). Yes I said CORT GUITARS!!! I am not sure what model Cort they were. Stop bar TOM, Duncan pickups, locking tuners, vine inlay on fretboard, bound body, odd strat shape. He sounded great through that rig. Jeff Pilson sounds pretty much like Don Dokken on vox. The harmonies Jeff did with the bassist sounded just like the old Dokken harmonies. Pilson played a Epiphone bolt on LP and a wine red Gibson LP Standard on a few songs, as well as a Guild 12 string acoustic on one song. Mostly he just fronted the band though. The bass player had a Sound Gear 5 string through an Ampeg SVT tube head and 8x10 cab. As a whole they sounded killer and it was like a private concert due to the low turn out. One odd thing I noticed was that the whole band was pretty much dry, but Jeff Pilson was drenched in sweat as the night progressed. I mean soaked and pouring off him. That struck me as odd.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Re: Saw Jeff Pilson, Mitch Perry last night

Mitch Perry is a great player.
    I always loved his solo CD.

Cort? I thought he was using BC Rich again..

Comment

He used 2 different Corts last night. One was sunburst flame the other was wine red flame top. Both had vine inlays and Duncans. Go figure.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It's pretty cool to see a show and be right up front without any pushing, jockeying, etc. (for the fans at least) I saw Graham Bonnet at Paladinos (Reseda, CA), the "crowd" was quite thin but the show was killer.
        Hope that Pilson's band makes it down to San Diego!

Comment

Paladino's is a great little club. There's that raised section off to the right of the stage where you can sit down and you're practically backstage! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The last show I attended was Megadeth, Slayer, and Pantera tribute bands! (Hangar 18, Angel of Death, and Domination 101) I had a blast!

http://www.megadethtribute.com/paladinos04-06-19.asp
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
          X