My day with the Stanley Cup.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day with the Stanley Cup.......

Yes, the Stanley Cup spent the day at my neighbors house, who works for the Lightning. Needless to say, being a hockey psycho fanatic, I was his first call. Had some beers, food, and hung out with the NHL's ultimate prize and about 30 people. A once in a lifetime experience.

Spent hours looking at every years engraving. Also, hanging out with Phil the cupkeeper (the guy in the Visa commercial). He was a great guy and we talked about the wild parties he has seen, particularly, when the Stars won it. Pantera's guys were good friends with a few of the players, so there were some big throwdowns at Dime's house. he said it ended up in a pool about 4 in the morning that was shaped like a Jack Daniels bottle, and the spa was the lid..

This was really a microcosm of why I love the NHL and always have. Its the people's sport, this is what it is all about. I mean, for god's sake, I am standing there reading the names, and it's getting splashed by pool water as kids do cannonballs.

A very cool day, no doubt

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: My day with the Stanley Cup.......

Looks like the cup is as upside down as playing hockey in Florida. Seriously, what a kick!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Man, that is awesome. And look at the thick padding in the road case for the cup. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am not a huge hockey fan but I have to say....THAT IS A FREAKIN AWESOME TRADITION!!!!

Comment

Man, I'd have given a nut for a chance to drive up for that, bro.

Too cool. Thanks for the pics!
          Keith
          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

That's very cool! Hopefully the cup will attend many more parties in the future. Once hockey resumes.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thanks for posting those pics Shawn! God I love hockey and you nailed it by saying it's the peoples sport. Must have been awesome reading the names on the cup. hopefully, we'll get to see these guys back on the ice sooner than later.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

oh man....that is so great and I'm so jealous...biotch! j/k

sounds like a geat time Shawn, congratulations!
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Man, any of you local JCF'ers would have been invited, but it was quite short notice. Today was its last day of "show and tell". It left our party at 5:00, and still had three more to go, the furthest being in Ft. Meyers, another exec's house.

Phil the cupkeeper figured he would get back to the hotel with the cup about 3 a.m., polish it for an hour,and in the morning, he flies with it to Montreal, where it goes to the official engraver to have the Bolts names put on. Then, on to the HOF.

Check out some of these other pics. Wayne's first year. Mario's first year. The VERY first year, engraved inside the bowl, and of course, the empty slot reserved for the Lightning. This is the last year for that particular ring. Next year, thet take the top ring off, and it permanently goes to the HOF.

Being an enormous hockey fan, and having played most of my life, it was way cool.

Shawn
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Not knowing what you look like, I'm still trying to figure out which one is you in those photos... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Not knowing what you look like, I'm still trying to figure out which one is you in those photos... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arm around the cup. Blue shirt. Sunglasses. Fairly hungover.

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

thanks for the great pictures Shawn, those are so sweet...greatest trophy, prize of all of sports. The history of that Cup and the stories behind it. I know people who have walked into a bar in Detroit and the cup was sitting there, got to drink from it too.

I have been a NHL fan all my life and I have never seen the cup in person. My wife and kids have pictures of it when it was in Dallas one year. I don't make a big deal over anything, but the cup leaves me in awe..
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

<font color="aqua">Wow, thanks for sharing Shawn, you are truly a very lucky man. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] What a great day that must have been and it's appreciated that you shared this tradition with us. It does make me sad, however, to think about the season that never started........... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] </font>
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

lucky dude! now i really have to move to tampa!
                              1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                              X