Hi point Firearms and guns in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi point Firearms and guns in general

I'm looking for a new personal carry pistol. I currently carry a North American Arms 32, but I'd like to carry something a little more ballsy.

I was talking to the gun dealer, and he said that if I'm looking for a very good, very reliable personal carry gun, that these Hi-Point arms guns are very good, and very affordable, along with the fact they carry the lifetime warranty.

He also showed me a Smith and Wesson 9mm, (forget the exact model, 4.5 inch barrel, right around 450$ and you could send in a coupon for 2 free high capacity clips (15 shot). Another one he showed me was a Makarov 380, and a S. Amoury 9mm extreme edition, 450$ ish.

Has anyone heard of High Point, or used them, or heard anything bad about them. The 129$ for the 380, and the 179 for the 40 is alarming to me, that they may be junk. Personally the polymer frame does not bother me, so if that's the only issue, then I'm fine with it.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Re: Hi point Firearms and guns in general

Like Sears tools they will service the gun forever when it breaks.

Hi-Points are a low cost piece that are "you get what you pay for". Yep they shoot, and they can be accurate, they just don't take wear so well. I would not stake MY life on one I assure you.

Makarovs are decent pieces, just harder to get any parts for really.

Look to the Smith for a cheap generic weapon. But, if it is a carry, they are sorta big though. Glock makes some very nice smaller pieces that are good quality. Sig and HK are VERY outstanding and probably my preferred weapon if I were to buy something right now.

Basically, when you use a carry weapon, when you have to use it, you are going to be using it to save your life. Do you want to stake your life on a low quality weapon? No, you don't.

If you can have one thing in your hand to save your ass, you want the best and most reliable thing you can possibly get...

If at all possible, try to get at least a 9mm. If you have pop someone who is wearing a good leather, a sweatjacket and a couple flannels with a 380, and you'll be sorely lacking. Even a nine isn't such great stopping power, they aren't doing so well in the military arena really... They just have capacity in their favor.

Comment

Cleveland is right. I have had some of the lower end guns (Bersa is one) and after a suprisingly small number of rounds things start to loosen up (having to tighten grip screws, readjust the sights, etc). I think a 9 is plenty of power, especially with some hollow points. Yeah, an amped up, crack-head giant might be able to take a few rounds, but there aren't too many of them!
      If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

Glock does make a nice SMALL 9 that literally fits on the palm of my hand and fingers for about $500. Not my favorite but try carrying a 357. Not very doable.
        http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Have you checked out Walther? Granted, my only experience was with finding an inexpensive target pistol (I ended up going with a .22), but I was very disappointed with the feel of the S&W offerings in general. Most looked like toys, and even if they didn't, they felt that way. I ended up going with a Walther P22, and someday would like to move up to a P99. That might be bigger than you want for carrying, but they do offer a P99 Compact with a shorter barrel length.
          sigpic

Comment

I am a Sig fan through and through.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I was once trying out 9mm's at a local range, and believe it or not, I shot the tightest groups with a hi-point. THis was in comparison tot he glock and S&W ones. Overall, I liked the GLock the best-small, lightweight, easy to use, never jammed up. The Hi-point felt really cheap, so I agree that I wouldn't depend on it to save my life. Basically you have to buy the best that uyou can afford, that seems usable and comfortable for YOU. Now go get those crackheads....

Comment

Well, like I said, I carry the NAA 32. It does good, and with the hollow points in there, if I can't get the job down with the 7 shots, then I need shot.

I could save up to buy the SW, or the Glock, or any of the 500$ guns, but right now, I just can't put myself out that. I worked in maintenence for awhile, and then was bumped to house keeping. I started working for the union, but that is done after the election, so I go from 39K$ to 14$ an hour, quite a difference, granted I'm pursuing fulltime employment with them, just it probably won't happen until January.

Anyway like I said, I could get an expensive one if I REALLY wanted, but if I can get affordable, AND reliable to save my ass, that would be great. I've not heard any bad things about the hi-points, save they feel cheap, but they always perform.

The SW I was holding felt really good to me, and the Glock felt even better the more I think about it. I didn't like the Smithfield Amory feel, it was too heavy, but you could tell it's quality.

Ultimately, my life is worth any amount of money to keep me alive, however if I don't have that chunk of change, and don't want to charge it...and I've got a decent small gun.

I could I guess carry both...

I've never shot a Sig, OR an HK, are there more owners of those guns, or people who've shot them on here? If I'm going to charge something, I'm going to buy something that can be spoken for. So far it seems like all of the mentioned brands have not been bad (unless they've been pointed out shitty), so as long as I was comfortable, it would be a good choice.

Comment

I had a Sig 226 for a while and it was really nice but much bigger than my glock and for whatever reason I shoot much better with the little glock? Sigs are definitely quality weapons though. Alot of law enforcement agencies issue them. To me though for personal carry the Glock is great cause it's so small and shoots so well and still holds 10+1

Comment

http://www.swfirearms.vista.com/stor...sw_activeTab=1

That is the SW I was looking at, I'll post links to the other guns I'm looking at.

Comment

the glock is the model 26 it's at http://www.glock.com/g26.htm

Comment

http://www.glock.com/g26.htm Here is the one Glock.
                        This is the 2nd Glock, it's a 40, rather than a 9 or a 380 I was looking at.

Comment

carry hand guns are about as personal a choice as it gets. i agree with cleveland hi-point is cheap and you dont want cheap when ya life might depend on it.
                          i would suggest a .45 acp over a 9 mm anyday.a .45 has imho more stopping power. do informed research on ballistics reports,and actual case reports from wounds inflicted and the victims responce to being shot with each caliber you consider. dont forget to think about where the round will go after it hits the target,will it pass clean thru to hit someone else that is just a by stander or will it stop with the intended target?
                          check on gun weights and carry methods. i myself carry a full size 1911 .45 kimber gov model. i use a small of the back holster. it works for me very well, but may not for you. bottom line is to use and become VERY familar with what ever you chose to carry, usually in that process the decision of what works best for you will come clear to you.

Comment

My favorite carry piece (carried it for 12 years) Is my S & W 5 shot bodygaurd airwieght...I load it with "true" hydroshocks....they don't make them anymore..

I like to carry a hammerless revolver over a semi-auto...because , they are more reliable when you need it ...all the time , you can trow it in your pants pocket with no buldge with no problems of access, it doesn't leave casings everywhere ...just in case you don't want to leave any evidence..

yes it only has five rounds (carry a speed loader) but it's much less cumbersome and reliable ...very reliable ...which is most important..no double feeds , stove pipes , jams or BS...it goes boom evertime.

I am no fan of Glocks ..Cleveland just switched from the old workhorse S & W 9mm to Glocks and there is nothing but problems with them ...BIG TIME!!!

Buy a Barreta ..**** Glock!

I just bought a Barretta 92 ...and it smokes my old Service S & W 9mmm and any Glock I ever played with..and I played with a lot of them ...never liked them.

In my shoot out the fag emptied two Glocks at me and my partner.

Nailed him three times with my Smith...boom boom boom ...done! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Smiths are very reliable....if you maintain them properly.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

For Semi Autos ...Sigs and Barretta ..and the Smith is a unrefined old workhorse but they go boom when you need them to!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X