Hi point Firearms and guns in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi point Firearms and guns in general

The Rugers are ....well.....not bad...not good. Absolutely stay away from the P90 .45 model. It is the biggest POS I have ever seen. I went through 3 of them before I got my Kimber .45 1911 model. At 20 feet, the P90 shoots about 2 feet left of center.....I had to pull the rear dovetail clear off the edge of the slide to get it back on paper. All 3 models were like this. The guy that owned the store where I buy all of my guns thought I was joking. He took it out back and had the same problem.Got the Kimber...problem fixxed. Still like the Sig line better though.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I had a P89 Ruger...good gun, bulky and heavy.
      I had a Kimber Stainless 1911...wonderful gun, but a big beast.
      I had a Glock 19...put over 5000 rounds through that gun, and I think I cleaned it twice. Never a malfunction, quick to the target...my favorite.

If I had to depend my life to a gun, the Glock would be it hands down, no second guess.

Comment

Well the only accidental shootings I have heard of with Glock are the ones where the shooter had his/her trigger finger where it didn't belong when drawing and bringing the weapon to bear. I carry a Glock 22 (.40) which is kinda big and a pain to conceal, but it is a great, reliable firearm. The full size 9mm is the Glock 17. I know Glock had a recall on the 17's a while back for certain s/n's. We use the HK USP 40 at work and a couple guys have the USP Compact and love them.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I have a Glock 21, and my wife has a Beretta 92FS Compact. The Beretta smokes the Glock as far as dependability and accuracy goes. I also have an older High Point 380, it's a fun and cheap little gun to play with but I wouldn't depend on it to save my life. One thing I've found is that the Glock really seems to be picky about ammo. If you load it up with cheap re-loads it'll jam up constantly. You can shoot anything throught the Beretta and the High Point. My opinion, if you want a good reliable carry weapon go with the Beretta 92FS. It's one of the best little guns ever made in my opinion.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Chuck if you were were working the streets 24 / 7 and knew of all these problems ...you may change your mind..

a lot of pre-Glock fans have...and for legitimate reasons indeed..

you wouldn't want your partner to accidently shoot you during a building search or visa versa..he could trip up the stairs , fight a suspect with weapon in hand and the list is endless.

The Smith models were awesome for safety for the fact they can't fire by popping the clip out ..

if I was fighting with a person that wanted my weapon I'd feel much safer if that weapon wasn't a glock..you have to think of the scenarios ...and what gun is best for the worst case scenario..

do you get what I'm saying ...there is a lot of bad scenarios that could be tragic over a simple design that Glock didn't have in mind in designing the weapon.

Maybe they are cool while shooting your enemy from a distance or plinkin' at the range ...but hand to hand combat ..The Glock is a potentially dangerous weapon..yes it sure the fukk is!

I think I could safely say I had the most experience with these scenarios to make a "hands on" decision..and there is NOTHING anyone here could say to debate that.

Do you know hoe many times I had yo pop the clip out of my S & W to save my ass during a major brawl ...and yes a few did try and take my weapon...at least if they got it they couldn't use it ....then I could take another course of action...like hitting him in the head with my asp baton or maglight ...like I never did that before.. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ehh, Cleveland probably bid for a crap line of Glocks then. Knowing Cleveland graft, the buyer got blown, got a kickback, and took a backstock of Glocks the Iraqis turned down cuz they were crap...

Them Iraqi Kmart seconds etc... Hehe...

Comment

Yeah probably knowing this second rate town..

I'm not saying Glock are bad , they are made fairly well with reliabilty in mind in the worst conditions , sand , water , weather ...ect..

but they are not the most accurate of weapons and they are not the safest weapons to carry..for the above reasons.

My dad bought two like new 9mm for resale ...A glock and a Baretta ...We went to the range and put a couple hundred rounds thru both. The Barretta smoked the Glock hands down in feel , accuracy , recoil , and breakdown for maintenance...so I bought the Baretta 92 a great handgun.

I shot John's Sig and that was very nice as well very comparible to the Baretta in performance....I was impressed.

Hey when it comes to guns ...I don't fukk around.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I still insist that a S & W Airweight revolver is a fantastic carry piece ..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

> Got to chime in here. Not being a hunter,just somehwhat of a gun enthusiast thanks to my grandfather,I get all kinds of gun publications geared toward cops. If there is a reliability problem with Glocks,and I'm not saying there isn't,it's a first,many of the cops that write for these magazines tell stories about unflinching reliability,so I can imagine cops that experience the opposite are fit to be tied. I agree,however,that in a fight where it might be taken from you and used to kill you,it's not a good choice. I prefer them for feel,weight,and accuracy,and have never experienced a malfunction with either my pre-ban 19 or the .40 Model 23,over 1000 rounds thru each. All of the major brands,like HK,Beretta,SIG,SW and Colt all have their up and downs,just like the Glocks,it's just a matter of personal preference based on actual experience with them. In the spirit of the original post,my experience with imported,off brand guns is not good,so unless you buy a cheap one and it turns out to be a gem,which happens occasionally,stay away. By the way for all the cops out there,I saw on Yahoo news a few weeks ago that there has been a rash of Second Chance vest failures,resulting in several officers killed or wounded. According to the article,the Japanese supplier of raw materials withheld their research concluding that the material would eventually deteriorate with prolonged,repeated exposure to moisture and heat,a serious problem for people with families that depend on them coming home safe,a class action lawsuit may wind up bankrupting them. Tommy D.
                  "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Yeah we uesd to wear second chance vest but now the city just switched to some other brand...they are only good for up to five years anywhoo...probably not ...but that's what they tell me.

Once I was chasing this drug boy thru rear yards and as he was running he took off a Green covered Second Chance level II vest ...well I stop chasing him ...wasn;t going to catch him anyways..I knew who he was ...I grabbed him a week later on a warrant.

well I took the vest and brought it to our outdoor range for some fun and curiousity...

At approx. 25 feet I shot two rounds "tack tack" into the center of the vest with our issued 9mm 127 grain controlled expansion round...well it didn't penetrate all the way thru but it did spread the mesh of the vest pretty good...so I put two more rounds into it and it blew right thru..oh well ...the vest appeared to be pretty old.

I had a lot of fellow coppers that got shot while wearing their Second chance vests...even though the impact may damage some bones in the upper torso and some serious bruising but it did save their asses ...so I can't complain too much I guess..

My bud was shot twice in the chest with a .38...He told me he thought he was going to die and it felt like he wasn't wearing anything...his partner killed the dick ...so that's cool.

Comment

I've bought the high point 9mm compact (3.5 inch barrel). Total with a new cleaning kit, holster, box of ammo, it was 180$. I cannot complain yet about this gun. It does not feel cheap, and the gun dealer told me, "Hi point used to be junk, but now they are good guns, and the company stands behind them". I'm going to use this as a carry for awhile, and also my NAA 32 (in my boot), and I'll eventually spend the several hundred on a Glock, HK, Sig, or something along those lines.

Comment

Are the standard Colt 1911 .45 worth the money, I have a somewhat affection for these old workhorses? My favorite gun hands down is the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 with the 7 1/2" barrel, I love single action western style guns with firepower. Jack.

Comment

Ahh, good to see you heeded everyones advice. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Glad we could help.

Umm, Congrats!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Intersting. I usually dont go into this section and I didnt think you guys were into this kinda stuff.

I am also surprised that so many of you would recomend a Glock to an obvious novise (I mean, I would not go to subgun.com to ask about Charvels [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). Glocks are great guns but they are either loaded and ready to shot or not because of the "safe action". I would be real hesitant to recomend a gun which must be carried with one the chamber with no safety to a newbie. 1911 action ("cocked and locked") or a double action Sig is probably a better choice. I am also surprised that no one brought up the HK P7......
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Well here is the range report (whoo hooo!) I cycled 292 rounds through it (I left 8 in it for when I carry it, or it would have been 300 rounds). I had a few jams, but they were not the guns fault, they were more mine. When I would cock the gun, I would hit the clip release, and the bullet would be half in, half out. I stopped hitting the clip release, and viola...not a single jam.

I fired them as fast as I could fire them out, and took my time, not a single jam. From 25 yards, I can consistently put it on paper, but with a 3.5 inch barrel, it's a bit iffy as to my accuracy. Let me give you an idea. One of the Gatorade bottles, not the largest, or the squirt lid ones, I sat up on the target place. Just pissing around, you know shooting at something at the range, rather than paper at the range, I was able to hit it from 25 yards 5 out of 8 times. I am not bragging, but I'm a novice, so I think I did okay. I also did some practice from the area where it's going to matter, 20 feet. I was able to put them all within 6 inches at 20 feet. To me, that's the size of a chect area around the heart, and if I need to defend myself or my family, I am confident I can. At first I thought the reliability of this weapon was going to be an issue, but after as many rounds as I fired, and no jam, I've no need to carry another gun..just in case.

I'm still under the consensus that I'm going to buy something a bit better later, but for bangin them out at the range, this one is fun.

Though shooting a 22 would be cheaper [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My verdict, this gun is worth every penny of the low low price tag.

Comment

"I had a few jams, but they were not the guns fault, they were more mine. When I would cock the gun, I would hit the clip release, and the bullet would be half in, half out. I stopped hitting the clip release, and viola...not a single jam."

That issue alone is enough to tell you that you can't rely on that pistol for self defense. In a "situation" you don't know what to expect, or how you'll be drawing, or if you have a safety on, or if you'll accidentally hit the mag release when you pull out the weapon. You'll probably only have a few seconds for instinctive reaction, and in those few seconds you could easily lose your life fumbling over a piece of crap.

For you, I'd reccomend the Kahr K-9/K40 Compact 3"bbl. Excellent quality full sized cartridge compact steel frame gun. A bit heavy, but they're made to high standards and really pack a punch for their size.

In the order I would recommend for anyone who would consider a self defense concealed carry weapon (quality first, generally priced from highest to lowest):

For size:

Seecamp 32
                                Kel-Tek P-32 (the only thing Kel-Tek makes that isn't junk)
                                North American Arms Guardian 32
                                Beretta Tomcat 32
                                Colt Mustang 380

If size isn't much of a concern:

Walther PPK or PPK/S
                                Glock 26/27/30/36
                                XD-9/XD-40 Compact

Revolvers:

S&W lightweight .38spls (I like the 340PD Airlite)
                                Taurus 85 lightweight/titanium
                                Charter Arms Bulldog

There are so many options, depends on what you really want and how much you're willing to spend. Avoid Raven, Jenninigs, Davis, Targa, Excam, IAI, AMT, Hi-Point, Kel-Tek (except for the 32)...

My personal choices would be:

Seecamp 32 auto

Kahr K9 Compact

S&W 340PD .38

Beretta 84F (13 rnds of .380 CorBon yay!)

I wish I could carry my Walther P99 or a Sig P220, but umm... those just wouldn't be very practical. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X