Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 Les Paul found in my Girlfriend's closet!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Les Paul found in my Girlfriend's closet!!!

My girlfriend told me a while ago that she also had a guitar, and wondered just how good it was. I asked her to describe it to me, and got basically this:
    "Well, it says Gibson or something on the part where you tune it. Dad says it's good because the neck and guitar are the same piece. Dad gave it to me, it used to be his back in highschool (her dad's 60). He says it's a double cutaway special"

I just kinda stared at her. She couldn't have possibly been lying, she doesn't know jack about guitars, can't even play the damn thing. How in the hell does this happen? She asked just how much the axe was worth. Not a Les Paul fan myself, but I could see this thing going for well over 5k in good condition. I dunno, what do you guys think?

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.

Re: 1960 Les Paul found in my Girlfriend\'s closet!!!

That's awesome! It depends on if it's a LP jr. or a Melody Maker and how many pickups. Anywhere from $1500 to $6000.

Too bad it's a double cut - just think if that was an LP Standard! That'd be worth over $100k.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I don't believe it's a Melody Maker. Did they even make double cut melody makers?

Comment

I think it's only worth $50, but I'll give you $100 + shipping... Need a shipping addy? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice bro, get some pics when you can!

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I don't believe it's a Melody Maker. Did they even make double cut melody makers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tons of them. I'm pretty sure double cuts are more common. I don't have production numbers or anything like that but I see double cuts all the time - maybe 1 in 10 (give or take) are singles.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Marry the girl!!! With a dowry like that, she won't last long. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Cool...take some pictures of it..

When I was in 10th grade I was over a buddies house and I was telling him I wanted to learn to play guitar (didn't start yet) and he pulls out a case from underneath his bed, a gold top Gibson Les Paul that he said his dad bought in the late 50s or early 60's and only played it a few times and put it the case....wonder what happened to it...
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

And you never went to her house to see it?
                Dude, go there and take pics and write down the specs and serial number, pot numbers, and see what the pickups say on the bottoms.

Then hit Ebay's Completed Listings, as well as the Les Paul Forum to see what it is and how much it's worth.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  That's awesome! It depends on if it's a LP jr. or a Melody Maker and how many pickups. Anywhere from $1500 to $6000. Too bad it's a double cut - just think if that was an LP Standard! That'd be worth over $100k.

[/ QUOTE ]A 1960 LP Standard is worth $100K now? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Holy Carp!As for Melody Makers, I had a 1963 and it was double cutaway. I didn't even know they made a single-cut version for years, as most of the ones I ever saw were double-cuts. I paid $250 for that one in 1981 I guess, and sold it for the same about a year later. Really wish I'd kept that guitar!My nephew told me his friend had a 1954 Les Paul, in dad's closet. I told him to bring it over and it was a Gibson, but a ES125 I think (thin hollowbody with no cutaways). Next time visited him I brought my '77 LP Standard and said "THAT wasn't a Les Paul, THIS is a Les Paul!". He knows the diff now! He'll probably inherit that guitar from me too.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

you fag!...I mean that's awesome!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      you fag!...I mean that's awesome!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am dying to see the pics and read the specs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] LOL @ Bill. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hopefully future-daddy-in-law doesn't hate you and prevent you from seeing the guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Better hold off not sleeping with his daughter for a little while longer until you can pry the guitar out of his hands... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well if it's double cut, it's not a Standard. Sounds like a Junior or Special to me. Depending on condition, it's worth between 3 to 5K (Special has 2 P90s and the Junior has one)

Comment

how come my parents were square and liked things like cuckoo clocks and other worthless crap? Damn them.

Comment

Re: 1960 Les Paul found in my Girlfriend\'s closet!

[ QUOTE ]
                              how come my parents were square and liked things like cuckoo clocks and other worthless crap? Damn them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But it's nice to hear of stuff like this happening to other JCF-ers, at least!

Keith
                              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                              X