Dimarzio X2N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio X2N

I have been thinking of getting one of these or trading out my Dimebucker for one, I know Chuck Schuldiner was a huge fan of them, but what do you guys think of them?

Re: Dimarzio X2N

I had one in my old HRR strat with Floyd Rose ..

That was a pretty crunchy pickup...I remember it being pretty hot and very cool for pinch harmonics and squeals...

then again I could make an Acoustic squeal...so go figure.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I can make my acoustic with high tension nylons squeal! Hah! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] (insert nylon/squeal keyword joke here) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I can make all of your moms squeal! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

I have used quite a few of these back in the 90's. I like em. Lots of distortion. Quite the metal pickup.

Comment

I've got one laying around at the moment. I bought it new in the early '90s and put it in my '87 Kramer. It sounded great... even though the Kramer's made of plywood. Last year I put it in my Charvel Model 5A, thought it was a little too bright (poplar body). Then I put it in my Warrior MG mutt (alder body) and thought it sounded awesome with a Super 2 in the neck. I sold the guitar to Newc and took the pups out, so now they're just laying around and will be put back in another guitar eventually.
            The X2N is so hot that when using it with the gain cranked on my amp, even backing off the gain about three or four notches didn't make any noticable difference! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I can make all of your moms squeal! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              So I've heard. And my dad was pretty pissed off!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are s luch sweet pick up!
                I think its one of Dimarzios better pick ups for high gains. and right on the squeals!!
                These were widely found in the 80's on Kramer guitars.
                Usually can get a cheap st for 50-100 at pawn shop.. and if they have the X2N, snap it up.. chances are good you'll get a collectable Stamped one!!
                I have everytime I did this;-)

I have a couple stamped 1979 ones waiting for projects [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Get the X2N now! do it..do it
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I've it in my DR3,great tone,singin upper mids.Don't expect to use it for a really clean tone though!

Comment

Clean? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I am going for a pure Death Metal chunky tone. The Dimebucker is ok but I want a more meaty muted tone as well as a nice thick crunch.

Comment

then what are you doing still here? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        It's one of the best pups out there for a chugga chugga death rhythm tone.

Comment

I have 5 guitars with them. Very crunchy/ Great even pickup. Very full sounding. Great metal pickup but you can coil tap them and they get great twangy strat tones too. If your amp is just on the edge of enough gain than this pickup should put it right where you need it. When you back the volume off on your guitar it can do great rock/blues. I would not hesitate to buy one. Hell. I have 2 sitting around that I got used waiting to go into other guitars. If you lower them into the body more than you would other pickups they still retain there even tonal characteristics but sound like a hotter JB. It is my pickup of choice. Even though they are pegged as a Metal high gain pickup they are way more than a one trick pony. If you get it you just have to noodle with your controls on your guitar/amp and pickup height.

Comment

So SO tempting, Right now I have about 20 bucks to my name, I really want to try one out. I am pretty sure it will totaly crush the Dimebucker.

Comment

The X2N is a monster. Period. The Duncan Invader ain't even close! Each individual coil has about the same output as a good strat single-coil, so, like Firebird said, they coil-tap really nicely. In fact, Adrian Legg, acoustic player extraordiaire (Check him out!) used X2Ns in his electrics.

Comment

Working...
                              X