Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Tweaking" CDs so that they sound better... WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tweaking" CDs so that they sound better... WTF?

Look at this link I found on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Cd%20tweaks.html

Anybody ever heard about this process?

Apologies if something like this has been posted before... you may provide me with searched links for your amusement. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Plus, I wouldn't know what to search for since this CD tweaking thing is completely new to me.

Re: \"Tweaking\" CDs so that they sound better... WT

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Check this out

http://www.snopes.com/music/media/marker.htm
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i was gonna say BS but X and his faithful snopes beat me to it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Excellent debunking, thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I knew that sounded familiar! I got a nose for these things. Always check snopes, m'boy....always check snopes.

Comment

I had a Roger Waters CD that I had to mark the edges on so it could play in the my cars CD player. There was a program that was on the disc to prevent it from being played ina computer that also prevented it from being played in the car too. The marker blocked the program so it would load up as usual.

Comment

OH!!! That's where I heard about marking up CDs. Apparently, according to this rumor, you just mark the edges on a rip-protected CD and then you can then rip songs from the album. Sounded weird... Guess it's all hokey.

Comment

As far as using the marker to make it useable in a computer, atleast with the Waters disk, it was not a rumor, it was 100% true. I just had to take it out and beef the line up a little at a time until it worked. Once I got the line fat enough, the disk was no longer protected. I did it so I know it worked atleast on that disk.

Comment

OK, but making marks and designs with a marker to improve the sound is a bunch of hooey. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well at LEAST it's not ruining the sound quality of the CD. As for the new appearance of the CD, nothing needs to be said about THAT. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

along these same lines....is there any way to get a PAL formatted dvd disc to play in a ntsc player ? short of getting a non regional dvd player or having the disc reformatted? john

Comment

just buy a non region, multi format dvd player...they are not much more than a normal NTSC player. The problem with converting is the format have different frame speeds...if you convert a DVD the sound won't match the picture (and it will look like a bad lip synch).

Comment

an easy way to tweak your CD's is to play through your home theater system which has multiple sound fields. the receiver will reprocess the sound based on an algorithm, so if you want to hear a lot of reverb, use the "church" sound field, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X