Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I threw my back out and can\'t stop throwing up

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm telling you, man. You need to see a chiropractor, ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the plan as of tomarrow, or thursday
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Sorry for your pain, but as the past owner of two physical therapy clinics, I can not recommend chiropractors. Chiropractors are notorious for providing instant relief through manipulation, but they do not provide a cure.

Go back to your doctor, let him re-evaluate your problem and then ask him if it would be beneficial to prescribe physical therapy.

P.S. If I offended any chiropractors on the forums, sorry.
      "POOP"

Comment

I threw my back out in the Marines. I went from being a fighting machine to a vegetable in about 3 hours. I felt it creep up for a few weeks, hurting a little if I stepped wrong while running. The one day on a short hump, it just blew out. I dragged myself to the end, because I had NEVER fallen out on a hump before, and I wasn't going to let it happen o a pussy 5 miler. For the next three days I could barely stand, and we would have section meetings in my room around me. They gave me 3 muscle relaxers to deal with the pain. In the USMC they would give you only a handful of pills because they knew how they used to end u getting abused.

Comment

Man, I take 3.5 - 4 - 7.5mg Vike's every morning... Couldn't move without em, as Sully said, they're Pez!

I fee yer pain bro, but the sickness will go away after a few days, and the buzz isn't too bad either.

Feel better bro!

Pat

Comment

Chiropractors do help with manipulations; traditional doctors tend to want to medicate, or operate. That might be necessary in some cases, but the regular docs can tend to view the patient more as a source of revenue than considering what he/she may need to recover.
            Sorry if I've offended any doctors here, but even if you don't do it you know this is true to some extent.

I had a heinous backache several years ago, sort of like Ace described, and had no medical insurance at the time. I finally scraped up the dough for ONE chiroppractic visit. The guy twisted my neck like breaking a 2-pound package of speghetti. It hurt like crazy but over the next couple of days the pain receded. Now he did try to sell me a twice-weekly visit regimen, but I told him no way could I afford that. He then gave me a pamphlet showing me exercises I could do to help prevent a recurrence. They worked pretty well. He could have just let me get jacked up again and I'd have had to come back in, but he helped me deal with it on my own, which I appreciated, and which traditional doctors just don't seem to do.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have a freind who's a masoose(sp) so she's coming over tomarrow, then later in the week if it's still here I'm gonna have to go back to the Dr.
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'm telling you, man. You need to see a chiropractor, ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...BE CAREFUL! I screwed my back up in Feb of 2000. I had my back "adjusted" and it just made it worse. Come to find out, I had a buldged disc (L5S1). When the Doc tried to adjust me, he ended up rupturing the disc. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I Lived with it til Jun of 2003 when I had a MicroDiscectomy. They cut away part of the bone in my spine, and removed the part of the disc that was rubbing the nerve. One word to sum it all up:

SUCKED!

It's by far the worse pain I've ever been in. It felt like getting continuously hit in the Knads with a bat. Talk about something that will make you wanna puke. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] As far as the pain meds go....You're better off without them.
                >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Not all Chiros are kookbats and quacks, just like not all Surgeons are Count Bankula wanting to do an emergency cashectomy.

Manipulation of the dislocated vertebrae DOES work, IF the Dr knows for certain which one(s) it is and which way to push it back into place.
                  It's easy for a Doctor to say "ok, now just relax, 1-2-3 WHAM" without giving you a chance to relax your muscles. If you DON'T relax completely - even to the point where you feel like you're going to sh1t yourself - then the muscles pulling against what the Doctor is trying to do CAN make the problem worse (which is then blamed on the Doctor).
                  When the Doctor says "relax", make sure you say "ok, gimme a second because it hurts if I relax my muscles too quickly. I'll let you know when I'm completely relaxed", and then relax at your own speed. If you just "go limp", the weight of your muscles letting go of everything quickly can cause a spike of pain in the affected area, and you tense up quickly again, usually as the Doctor makes the adjustment. Pain makes the muscles around the injured area tense up in order to support that area, especially with the back and neck, and you need to let your Doctor know that you can't just "go limp" because it hurts to do so, and to give you time to relax.

Then there's the whole "some total stranger is putting his hands on me, I hope he's not a rapist like you see all the time on 20/20" issue, which causes you to tense up.

You'd be surprised to really feel each muscle group relaxing, and you're AWARE of how they feel when you relax them. Muscles you didn't even think were muscles, affecting other parts of your body that you didn't think were affected by them. If it's not something you conciously try to focus on, it can be difficult, and I don't think many Doctors (MDs and DCs included) are taught that. They're taught "the perfect patient" and "the difficult patient" and that's it - and there's usually no one out there to teach the Average Joe how to relax, except for some spaced-out Yoga instructor.
                  Most people don't want that sh1t, and many more don't need it. They just need to learn more about their own body than eat, talk, sh1t, cum, and scratch.

It's VERY important to get a full set of X-rays and go over them with the Doctor BEFORE you get adjusted so you know that he knows what he's doing and what he's looking at.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I will be the first one to admit that chiropractors cannot heal everything. And those that claim they can are crazy and the biggest hinderance to the profession. There are bad doctors in every field and chiropractic is not an exception.

However, a good chiropractor can work wonders. If you suffer from a chiropractic problem, then a good D.C. can help. Don't be afraid to shop around for a doctor. It is your right as a patient. Talk to other people who see chiropractors and be referred to one by word of mouth. Talk to the chiropractor at length about your problem, his/her experience, treatment plans, etc. An informed patient will be a happy patient. Now this does go for M.D.s as well. Don't be afraid to fire your doctor if you're not being treated as you should.

It may take quite a few adjustments to fix the problem completely (but it's still cheaper than the hospital). After that, maintenance care is a good thing. It keeps the body functioning at optimal levels which can prevent other injuried/ailments/chronic problems etc. from occurring.

Finally, most chiropractors believe in wellness care rather than crisis prevention. This is against what the majority of the United States believes in regards to health care. Other countries are more apt to go to their chirpractor regularly, see a massage therapist or other "alternative" health care provider. Do a search online for wellness care and see what you can learn. Be objective, but be open minded. It's not all crap.

Comment

I probably am the biggest pill poppin' piece of crap on this board and I can't take Vicodin ....my stomach get's all messed up and I can't poop...

Darvacette is better on the stomach...
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

screw chiro's and PT!!!!!!!

that's all BS!!!!

Pills my man ....PILLS!!!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Darvacette? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] now that's the epitomy of Pez... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can't take those at all, well, I can, but it's a waste IMO, they do nothing for me... But Bill's right, if they work for you, it's much easier on the stomache...

Now, for the real question, what kind of beds do you guys sleep on? ( Those of you with back problems? )

I need to get a new one, and I've had a couple different one's, yeh, the expensive ones, but it just doesn't work for me, I get up in the morning and I'm stiff as a board, no, my back's stick, nothing else. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I went to American Appliance/TV/whateverthehellelsetheysell last night, and the wife was checking out one of those Latex mattressese, any thoughts? Nice place by the way, lots of cool stuff and decent prices to boot. travis, don't you work there now? Which one? I'll come buy some sh!t from you today.

Pat

Comment

Hey Pat I eat about eight Darvs a day ...everyday!!!

and yeah I keep them in a Tweety bird PEZ dispenser....I don't even take them with water...NO

I just chew 'em up and savor the flavor!!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I wish I had never responded to this thread because there are so many aspects that need to be addressed. First, not all doctors are good. Second, not all chiropractors are quacks. I'll even go one step further and say that physical therapy is not always the solution.

For just over ten years, my clinics treated hundreds of patients with neck and back problems. We saw patients that had been butchered by doctors who then expected us to work miracles. We've also seen doctors that performed brilliant work, thus making our job extremely easy.

Maybe it's a north Louisiana problem, but it's alarming at the number of patients we receive that have been to the doctor, then the chiroprator, then back to the doctor who then sends them to us. The first question these patients ask is "are you going to turn me upside down and jerk my neck?"

For years, anyone off the street could walk into a chiropractor and get manipulated for $25. Average cost for an initial evaluation and treatment at a physical therapy clinic was $210, plus you needed a prescription from a doctor before treatment could even begin. That should set off some bells and whistles.

Times have changed and I know for a fact that chiropractors and their practises have come under close scrutiny. My best advice is to go back to your doctor and get re-evaluated. Discuss chiropractic procedures versus physical therapy and see which one he recommends. In Louisiana, a prescription for PT is no longer needed, but you damn well better check with your insurance company prior to your visit. Therapy is not cheap. Best of luck with your problem.
                              "POOP"

Comment

just smoke a doobie and call it a day... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X