Upgraded my Home PC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded my Home PC.

My poor Celeron 900 served me well, but damnit if I didn't get bit by the gaming bug <font color="red"> again </font> and had to upgrade...

I have always been an overclocker, had my 900 up to 1.3, so I did some homework and went with the P4 2.4c and an Albatron board with 512 Ram (2x256). Without really pushing it I am at 3.2 GHz and it runs as stable as can be. I put XP Pro on there fully updated minus servicepack 2. From the time it gets past the bios screen till the time I have IE up with the first web page is 15 seconds. This thing truly rocks.

Matt

Re: Upgraded my Home PC.

<font color="aqua">That's sounds nice Matt! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of virus scanner are you running? </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

that rocks...i run an athalon 1 gig with 512...any tips on overclocking it? I am running XP Pro with all updates minus the POS SP2 on a ASUS motherboard.

Also, I am in need a new video card, currently I have a VooDoo5 5500 AGP 64 meg board and it wont run Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude and its pissing me off! Any help there, anyone have a board they are looking to sell or trade?

Thanks!
      Mike

Comment

surprised you got anything to run on a celeron, overclocked or
        not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

The Celeron's aren't bad, but I do DVD decoding so it made sense to go with the extra Cache on the P4.

I just run the AntiVirus portion of Norton 2003. All the other added BS like crash guard will cause you more problems then they will ever hope of curing.

If you are going to overclock, just go up one step at a time till it starts to give you problems, then back it off a step or too and watch your CPU temp.

Matt

Comment

You overclockers were a serious pain in my butt!!! I used to have to go debug crash dumps that were uploaded from customers that were overclocking their machines. After a while you could spot the patterns - invalid opcodes in known code, register values differing between calls, etc.

We'd get folks totally irate that their machine wasn't working - they felt we should have been able to handle it.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
            X