DEER KILLING ANYONE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEER KILLING ANYONE??

If anything, you non-hunters can still go out and enjoy the hunt with a camera and post the pix here. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know back-in-the-day when we were "bar-stars" you could always tell when it was deer season. The bars would be packed with these doe-in-heat married women looking for a one-nighter. Ah, the good old days.

Adrian
    All hail the 'King'
    R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I have heard that southern deer are typically smaller. Is that true??

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen some huge deer come out of Northeast Louisiana all the way over to the Mississippi line. But for the most part, the deer in my neck of the woods are relatively small. Poaching during the 1970s really hurt the quality of hunting in Louisiana. That, along with piss poor land management and the idea that whitetail deer could rebound without a little help, really hurt this area for true sportsmen.
      "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I have heard that southern deer are typically smaller. Is that true??

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Picture a greyhound with antlers [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

er...ummm, no offense Sully [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (sully has a/few Greyhound(s) as a pet/horse [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

I remember the first deer I killed here, a 6 POINTER, and went to the weighing station, it weighed in at a whopping 116 pounds [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] One of the local "good ol' boys" came up, slapped me on the back, and said "damn Son, that thar is a damn nice deer" [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Back in Maine, our does are bigger than that thing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But, the cool thing with NC is you can legally kill 6 per season....

Fortunately, the crack craze hasn't hit NC yet as we are still rural, just a lot of moonshining deer around tho [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

no deer huntin for this guy , but just about everyone I know here in wisc. is in a tree stand today.....its musky huntin time !! john

Comment

I do my meat hunting in Wal-Mart - dressed and ready to go without all that doe juice business [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And what's funny - I live way out in what a lot of people would consider "the woods" (rural farming-type community) and have to go into town to get to Wal-Mart. All you guys are leaving town to go into the rural farming communities to find food [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And they call me "backwards"? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yes, please don't shoot the greyhounds; they have a rough enough life as it is!

tonemonster, i'm gonna hafta take your word on it. i have friends and co-workers down here that are avid hunters. i guess i'm just one of those folks that thinks it's wrong. not gonna get on a soapbox or anything, and i understand the whole population control part of it. and really, it's not like i'm a vegetarian, either. but when i saw a pic of my coworker's 8 year old daughter holding up the head of the deer she just killed, i was instantly repulsed.

sorry...don't mean to be a downer.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                yes, please don't shoot the greyhounds; they have a rough enough life as it is!

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow"> Greyhounds are great dogs...most of them are big babies, at least the ones I've met. They are affectionate, even tempered, and intelligent animals.

I was just using their size as a comparison.

I think it's horrible what some people do to Greyhounds....they should all be electric-nutnoosed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I have nothing against hunting per se, but in Texas, we allow hunters to set up feeders. These so called hunters (and I'll argue this all day long) set up timed feeders prior to the season to condition Mr. Buck to an every day 8AM feeding time. Then the "hunter" gets in his stand, waits for 8AM when Mr. Buck comes strolling along for some easy food, and blasts him. That ain't hunting. IIRC, Texas is one of the few states that allow this type of "hunting".

Brett

Comment

Stick shooter.

Comment

Agreed, Brett. I don't consider sniping them from a tree hunting either. It takes less hunting skill to sit and wait than it does to track them and sneak up on them. Yes it increases your chances of scoring one, but it's not hunting - it's sniping.
                      Setting out bait and using doe juice to attract them are just as bad. Mud and such masks your scent, but using something to force them to run towards you is cheating IMO.

I have nothing against hunting for food, and the high population of deer does allow room for sport/trophy hunting where you don't eat the meat. It's not for me personally, but I don't have a problem with people doing it per se. I just think it should take more effort than sitting in a tree or setting a sniper trap.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        ..but when i saw a pic of my coworker's 8 year old daughter holding up the head of the deer she just killed, i was instantly repulsed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man. That's just not right. Sorry, nothing against hunting, but most kids that young just shouldn't be exposed to that kind of thing.

Then again, my parents were immigrants that used to farm in the old country. And my dad would hunt. I was a young'n when I witnessed him slaughter a chicken in our basement. Freaked me the hell out to see the body running around without a head, spurting blood out its neck. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Not for kids!

[img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] ...Actually, now that I think of it, that explains a lot. No wonder I'm not right. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Why not? If they are taught how to hunt and respect what they are hunting at a young age all the better in my opinion. That's the problem with this country is closed minded people that look down on the age old traditions that made this country great. Just because guns and hunting aren't their thing nobody else should be able to do it either. That's a bunch of crap. As is it's hard enough to find a place to hunt because of people that don't like it. What I saw the other day that disgusted me was a kid that was obviously brought up to respect guns and use them properly that had his year book picture banned from being in the year book because he was holding his shotgun that he had used for trap and skeet competitions in which was a big part of his life. Trap and skeet is just like any other sport and requires a lot of talent to hit the amount of clays that they do. But his sport is discriminated against because it requires a gun. Pathetic. Us hunters and shooters should find something to complain about that the non hunting/shooting population do and petition and rally to ban that.
                          We must!
                          We must!
                          We must increase the bust!
                          The bigger the better!
                          The tighter the sweater!
                          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I agree with several different points of view here.

1. I do not think that training deer to be where you want them to be when you want them to be is hunting. That's a **** business appointment. Zero sportsmanship. That would be like if next time ole' Buddy the Labrador came up to the back porch at dinner time you shot him in the face instead of filling his dog dish.

2. Tree stands are only slightly better. IF I were to hunt a deer, I would track it, get to understand it, and give the animal the respect it deserves. I would probably use either a bow or a handgun(there are hunting handguns by the way, I'm not talking about putting 8 rounds of .45 from my HK into a deer like it was some dude that broke into my house).

3. IF you are going to hunt, might as well get the children involved. A hundred and fifty years ago children in this country had to help Dad hunt, dress and cook animals, or the family would starve. As long as it's done responsibly, there is no shame in taking life for the sake of living yourself. I would much rather my child learn to respect animals, and by extension the Earth and other people, as opposed to just go buy pretty packages of dead flesh at Wal Mart from the bodies of tortured animals.

Comment

I've got no problem with that. And people can do what they want. I'm not saying it ought to be outlawed or whatever, no matter the age.

But, for cripessakes, an 8 year old??? That's - like, what? - a 3rd grader? Sorry, man, but that is NOT an age-appropriate activity for a kid that young.

A little older - like into middle school - and you get into "possibly appropriate" territory. A high-schooler handling guns - if taught and educated respectfully - definitely. No problems, there.

...But a freakin' 3rd grader? Sorry, man. IMHO, that's way poor parenting. I feel sorry for that kid.

Comment

She probably used an assault rifle and sprayed it down with bullets. That's what those guns do. That's all they do. lol
                                We must!
                                We must!
                                We must increase the bust!
                                The bigger the better!
                                The tighter the sweater!
                                The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Working...
                                X