Neon ACR anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neon ACR anyone??

I wouldnt call it the best car for the money, unless youre whole creteria for best car is the one that goes from 0 - 60 the fastest on dry pavement..............Id say its probobly the best muscled econobox for the money.........

Comment

Neons are ugly....especially the new 2005 color...Orange Blast....dont get me wrong...orange has got to me one of my favorite colors...but this color isnt even orange...more like brunt copper or something..thank God 2005 will be the last Neon models....Im soooooooooooo sick of seeing those....(stocking in over 200 in a week can cause mental issues...nightmares about neon spiders)

Mrs LPC

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        man, i had a neon, and it was the WORST car i've ever had. i got it in 99, and it was a 98. it was fine until the head gasket went bye bye. that was all fine and good, as it was under warranty.

but then it happened again. i remember that week i was having really bad overheating problems, and something blew up and the fan tore into the radiator. when they told me it would be about 2 grand to fix, i walked away fast.

that's one car i soooooo do not miss.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Head gaskets are problem #1 with the Neon. Those are gold to people like me in the repair business...just like the dex-cool equipped GM 3.1 L engines that need intake gaskets replaced every 30,000 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Problem with the Mopar "warranty" repair on the head gaskets was the workmanship. They used an "improved" design that could have prevented further problems but most didn't get it right because there were so many in for the same thing that corners had to be cut to keep up with demand. They did nothing more than remove the head bolts, lift the head up and slide out the old & slide in the new gasket. I'll bet 75% never had the heads checked by a machine shop for damage. Most people found out they had the problem by overheating the cars so this was a big mistake on Chryslers part. Lots of warped and or pitted heads and pitted blocks. I'm sure they are content in knowing that most of the problem Neons are out to pasture now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am most likely getting an early ACR. What a wicked STOCK car street racer. I have always been a Mopar or Nocar kind of guy. My Chevy powered 1959 Austin Healey Mark I is cool as heck but it is really not my style at all. As soon as the rest of my Weber parts come in and I get it back together (within the next week) I am goin to sell it and buy an ACR or a bike. Either the Ducati M900 or a Lightning S1. I never owned a bike before though. Lots of people say I should start small because it is my first bike. The only other motorcycle I ever had was a Honda XR50 back when I was 14. I had a Kawasaki KZ1000 when I was 18 but I cracked the crankshaft doing holeshots and burn outs in my driveway. I never actually drove it.

Comment

Let's see about neons, the noted head gasket problems, the oil burning problems, or the early 95/96 ones that had the goofy smaller sized radiator, that if you did yourself would run you, roughly 400$, since those few models were made with German radiators, when they blow, you have to find a place that has them, and on top of that, good luck. When a guy I know bought one, there was ONE in the nation, guess who had it, him. Keystone Radiator (a radiator place) had to order is special, and charge him a fortune for it.

Sunfires and Cavaliers junk? They had some issues with some things, but most have been addressed by recalls. I mean, I've seen crap with them, but I've seen far more Neon crap than I have Cavalier crap. Quite a few of my friends have them, and have not had any trouble, save the one who used to own a 96 Sunfire (gf talked him into buying it, it was pretty, must admit, but girly) anyway, it blew the head, but guess what, covered under the recall.

The 3.1 GM motors, tell me all about it, my gf has one in her car, it was just an intake gasket, water pump, ignition module and **** like that, all in one shot. I just checked the antifreeze again, and I think it's leaking again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Buy a Honda [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've got a 93 Honda Civic, runs like a God Damned Champ. I want an Acura RSX or one of the new Civics or Accords, but atm car insurance is enough to kill a young rice racing fag like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I can only go by my personal experience. My Neon is very dependable and fun to drive. My 2000 Plymouth Neon LX has every available factory option. The dealer told me it was the most expensive Neon ever made. That is why it sat on the lot for over 1 year. It had a sticker of $17,850.00 which was more than the RT's. I got it for $13,500 with $1,000 instant cash back because of the SOHC motor. I got it for $12,500.00 out the door. It now has 56K on it. Here are my repairs:
              Factory power sunroof leaked. They replaced the entire sunroof assemble N/C and also replaced my carpets. It took 1 week for them to do it and they gave me a kick a$$ loaner to use while it was in the shop.
              A rock kicked up and cracked my right front wheel splash guard. The dealer replaced it for free.
              I put tires on it at 45K.
              I put new brake pads on it although it didn't even need them.
              I change the oil every 3000.
              Thats it.
              It't quick, it handles great, it is fairly good on gas, the radio cranks, the power sunroof and AC are excellent and it drives at 56K miles as good as it did with 5 miles on it. I went to Florida (1500miles each way) with my wife and 3 children in it with a trunk full of luggage and averaged around 85 MPH the entire ride down and back. Not even a hiccup from my little Neon. We like it so much we have considered buying another one for my son. Used ones are really cheap. Well.. thats my .02

Comment

Oh yea.. if I were to buy a new car I would be looking at:
                SRT-4
                Lancer Evo (although it is too expensive for me)
                Suburu WRX STI

Comment

SRT4 is nice, but there is no way in hell Id want to drive a front wheel drive econobox with that much power..........
                  Neons are a great deal second hand, because you can purchase them for nothing, and if you have to fix them its also nothing, and anybody can do the work on them...........

Comment

Working...
                  X