Any .50 BMG shooters here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any .50 BMG shooters here?

The barrett is almost equal to a Magnum AW50, which is an Anti-Tank sniper rifle. The US Rangers and Seals use AW1's. The projectile will penetrate the front of the tank, go through the crewroom, through the entire engine block, and back out again, and still has enough power to destroy another tank(/building/...) if one were to be behind the initial target. They did use depleated uranium shells though, but still!
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Umm... the .50 bmg won't do all that, even with depleted uranium or RAUFOSS ammo. IF you're thinking about light skinned APCs, even the .50 BMG won't penetrate both layers of an M113... it'll go in one side and bounce around a bunch of times, hence the interior sliding kevlar panels... That's only mild armor, made from aluminum about 2" thick.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

> Barrett Mfg. is located about 4 hours from me,in Murfreesboro,Tn,and I have applied for a machinist job there soon as I graduate. They are awesome weapons,especially the M82A1. They are also making a friggin' 25mm version. For the ones that aren't up on your metric/standard conversion,that round has a diameter of .984,a G string out of a standard .009 set away from 1 inch,a plastic sleeve over a full metal jacket which has a .750 tungsten carbide penetrator behind it. According to the short article in a brochure I got from them "This exciting new military issue weapon will provide nearly unlimited AP (armor piercing) capability out to 5500 yards". That is 3 1/8 miles worth of range. A local cop that is leaving for Iraq Monday is a armorer that works on Barrett stuff says the .50 is good for 3000 yards under certain circumstances,and will still knock your dick in the dirt at that distance,but also leaves you sore from shooting it regularly. Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Xenophobe , I'm not a gun lover of sorts , actually since being shot twice I don't like them much at all, But that thing even if not taken out for range use just looks cool. Where can I get one I hope it's legal in Florida.
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Well, next year you'll be able to get one anywhere but California. Too many drive-bys...

Comment

Xeno, I've looked around, but can't find "too" much on it, but what's the ballpark cost on one of these?

Pat

Comment

I really would like to play with that for a while on a shooting range, sniper rifles somehow have always attrackted me, I even gave some thoughts of joining the army and the long distance marksmen (as a sniper is called in dutch translated to english), but these are only in the Marine Corps and the Rangers as well as in the "special forces" and these kind of guys are not really sought after, but it would give a kick to hit something at a range of 300 yards

harrald

Comment

NM, Found it. HOLY SH!T!

Nice tho, very nice.

Pat

Comment

I never fired the Barrett, just the M2. The max range depends on the shooter and the target too much to really put a number on it. My friend, who was one of the USMC's top snipers, was able to hit a man-sized target with the Barrett at 1,800 meters. That's just over a mile.

Comment

Pat, dealer price on those is about $4850 if I remember correctly. You can find them used at about $4000 on gunbroker.com. New they generally sell at stores for around $5250-5500.

Since assault weapons were banned in California at the end of 99, high end sniper rifles are all I've really been able to get into.

Right now I have a blueprinted Remington 700 action with a Schnider 22" Marine M40 barrel, though it's set up like a M24 with a H&S Precision M24 stock, threaded muzzle, detatchable front and rear iron sight (Redfield Big Bore front, Palma Olympic rear), and it's got a H&S Precision detachable mag trigger housing, I've got a 5 and two 10 round mags. Badger Ordinance 20 MOA long picatinny rail, and Mark 4 rings. Not sure of the optics, the Mark 4 M1 16 power Leupold I was gonna put on it is on my Barrett now, so i'm thinking Schmit & Bender 4.5-15x tactical for it. I've only shot 35 rounds through it, so it's not quite broken in yet. Still a fun gun that gets a bit of attention at the range. lol

Comment

i shoot a .50 every once in awhile. but mine has a cyclic rate of 750 to 850 rounds per minute. and i fire mine from a hundred or so feet up doing like 90 knots. it also weighs 65 pounds and i get to use API rounds.

Garry [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

That gun is bitchin!

Comment

glad i live in the uk [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X