AOL Pics Compressed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL Pics Compressed??

<font color="aqua">I was at my brothers the other day and went on a "certain" website [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] on his AOL browsered PC to show him a few things and I noticed the pictures looked like CRAP! Is all of AOL dial up like this? Can you turn off this "compression"? The reason I'm asking is because I would like people to be able to see the pics on a "certain" site as they should be, not compressed to where they look totally pixelated. I realize this is probably an attempt to have faster downloading and make the internet seem faster, but that really blows.

Your thoughts please? </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: AOL Pics Compressed??

Just another part of the conspiracy to push everyone over to high speed access. Cheap Dial up will be a thing of the past soon. You want it, you will have to pay the big bucks for broadband soon.

Just like cellphones. Weird how my analog units worked great for years till the companies started pushing digital, and suddenly analogs had nothing but troubles, and when the problems were complained about, the companies just said to move over to digital units as they work so much better.

Hmm, soooo... they used to work fine till they companies wanted you to go to another technology that was generally more expensive. Interesting...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      <font color="aqua">Is all of AOL dial up like this? Can you turn off this "compression"? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
      The default through AOL is to have all pics compressed. Just click the "Settings" box at the top of the browser, click "Preferences", click "Internet Properties (WWW)", click the tab for "Web Graphics" to get to the option for Do you want web graphics to be compressed? There will be three options: Always compress graphics, Never compress graphics, Compress graphics only when I do not have a broadband connection to AOL. Hope that helps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Quit ruining my conspiracy theories!!!! Hahaha...

Comment

Sorry. I do think your conspiracy theory is pretty much true, though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">Thanks so much Joe, I'll let him know the instructions you gave. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

On a side note CM, I'm STILL using analog with AT&amp;T and I've yet to have any problems BUT, they are definitely pushing me to go digital.......hard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Wow, cool that yours still works. I loved my analog stuff, it ALWAYS worked well till a couple years ago when Altel went digital, and then my coverage went to nothing, and the connection went to crap, hardly useable...

It's better in a way I guess, but I was far from happy at first. Easier for them to keep an eye on you I believe as well as getting more people online at a cell site at once. It was supposed to help improve service and lower costs, so far that hasn't been the case.

Comment

No problem, Dave.

I also had an analog cell phone for quite awhile, then upgraded to digital. Well, the reception in my house was crappy and it was even worse in my basement and sometimes wouldn't ring! I just recently upgraded my phone to a better digital GSM thing and it's much better, and I even have internet access/web browsing (it's a pay-per-use thing so I don't have to worry about paying for some crap I won't use all the time). And I've got a better plan with long distance so I don't really need to use my home phone all that much any more. I've also got Cingular and prefer them over AT&amp;T that I had years ago.

Comment

Digital started making it cheaper... when I was on my analog cellular plan, it was 40c/20c a minute... As soon as digital became a player, I got a plan that was like 1000 minutes for $100, and cut my mobile phone bills in half. Digital was a good thing :P
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                  X