Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions about multitrack cassette recorder

Hello guys,
    Lately I was thinkin about recording my new band's demo with a multitrack cassette recorder.Usually I've used a computer based daw but I prefer much more the sound I get when I record my mic'ed amp with an old pioneer cassette deck!Any opinions forum you guys that have used this toys (Bill?)?

PS:Think that I prefer the sound of Testament's The New Order than The Gathering.

Re: opinions about multitrack cassette recorder

I think considering the ease of use, the multi is fine, but when Iw as doing all this, I tried it and ended up with ProTools and a Digi001, it's simple to use and the quality is far superior, and you can get that old time sound with a simple plug or two. I dunno, I just like the way ProTools works.

I haven't heard those two from test, so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure you can get it with a plug.

What was the DAW you speak of?

Pat

Comment

Digital audio workstation? Just guessing.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I realize that, but how many are there out there? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've used a few of them, but always came back to the Digi, and at a certain point, never looked back from there.

Pat

Comment

Yep,actually a pc with some kind of sound card for recording is a digital audio workstation.I thought to buy the digi002r but I really like the sound I achieve with the tape recorder...I believe that the best solution it's to buy both systems...or maybe a reel to reel:P

Comment

Yeh, the bass player I used to play with, swore by a nice multi-track and/or a reel to reel over a new daw, I know what you mean, the new stuff sounds very polished out of the box in most cases.

Pat

Comment

Yeah,sometimes with a good deck and some good mics well placed it's possible to get a great "old times" recordings.The only problem is that R2R are a pain in the a$$ for manteining (sp?) issues...

Comment

I would remain digital especially if you want to make a semi-professional demo. You'll get more tracks, better frequency response and easier editing . While I think 24 track analog has its merits, cassette tape multi tracks do not share them as it doesn't have any.

Try a better pre-amp, better quality sound card and experiment recording and mixing first. You should be able to get a better sound with a DAW. When you are recording digital you may have to eq yourself or find ways to make up for whats to "lost" hehe all the crap that gets lost in the cassette multi records. I think once you get used to it you'll like it more.

I don't buy into the analog ways to record anymore, I do for tube amps though Digital is the way to go and usually people are afraid to change because they are comfortable in their own ways of doing things. I was the same way, using old Fostex multi's and once I made the change to PC recording I learned how to do it, I kicked myself in the ass for not doing it sooner.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

get a old Tascam portastudio 488mk2.You might be able to find one for $2-300.They took em off the market as soon as they came out with their digital unit.

Comment

I'm thinkin about a yamaha 8 trks...

Comment

If you go the digital/computer route, you can use an analog machine like a 4 track or tape deck as a preamp to get that analong sound. Hell, you could probably even use a VCR.

Comment

Yes,that's a good idea.Tnx NG!

Comment

Working...
                        X