Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone now anything about Oscilloscopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone now anything about Oscilloscopes?

I have two scopes that I got cleaning out a basement. I took them because I figure I could flip them for a few bucks. The first is a Tektronics 475. IT works fine (as far as I can tell). The Guy that owned it (before he died) used up until last year. The second is a huge one. It's a Fairchild Dumont 766. I have no clue if it works or not. It fires up, but I have no way of knowing
    if it works or not.

I'd like to bring them someplace to get inspected and calibrated so I can sell them with confidence, but I have no idea where to take them. Anybody knw anyplace that buys this kinda stuff or what they may be worth?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Anyone now anything about Oscilloscopes?

Sambencuda-

Asked the Sarge because he works with these in his career field... he said to tell you that the 475 brand new sells for about 8 grand.
    If you go to the Tektronics website it should tell you how to get it serviced.
    The fairchild he hasn't heard of before.
    As far as where to sell these things... LOL! Sarge didn't know- probably evil bay, dude.
    People do collect these things- ham radio operators... if you know any maybe they can give you some direction.
    Hope this helps some.
    Good luck.

Em

Comment

Jim - If you can use it, you might be able to score a fairly large tax deduction by donating these to the EE department of a local university. I'll bet you could get a far higher valuation that way than you'd get in a cash auction. Just a thought.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm kinda inbetween on this one. On one hand, I want to get the most I can for them, on the other, I really just want the space back in my garage. THe tax deduction thing is a good idea and I may go that route. Thanks! I would have never thought of that.

I was going to try evilBay, but they don't seem to be getting that much for them there. Thanks for the help Em and tell Sarge I said thanks.

Comment

Both units should fire up and put a line on the display. You can get some cheap probes for them at most any electronics store. It's a small investment to see if the units will work.

If you set your voltage to .2 and the delay to 5 us you should be able to see the output waveform of your guitar.

Matt

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            If you set your voltage to .2 and the delay to 5 us you should be able to see the output waveform of your guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 us (micro seconds) = 200KHz. I'd use 5 ms to show an analog guitar signal (if my memory is correct).
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

My bad use 5 ms.

Matt

Comment

Can I scope my balls with this thing..

and if I could ..what would it tell me..

the future??? [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I KNEW Bill would find a way to bring his boys into this.

If I understand correctly, oscilloscopes let you observe sine waves that have been converted to electrical signals.
                  Sarge uses them with the electronic equipment he works with. You could use it to measure brain waves, engine vibrations, sonic booms... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] any kind of energy or vibrating particle. Though I think you have to have some sort of transducer- I've heard that.
                  The resident expert in my house isn't here- so someone correct me if I'm wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

But- yeah- you could probably figure out some way to put it to good use. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] If you really wanted to.

Comment

P.S. - come to think of it... I bet you could tune your guitar with one! Hmmm.... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, your right EM. The guy that died that owned these actually built a modual that allowed him to tune pianos with the tektronx.

And Bill, If you bought them, they would tell you whatever you want wherever you wanted. I can see it now, Bill z Bub - the future via penis readings! Let this man and his magical penis, tell you your fortune! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Where's Ron. I spelled know = now. I can spell Oscilloscope, but not know [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

What a maroooon!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm sorry ...I'm such a moron.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But that's sound a great idea Jim!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Another high tech information-filled thread goes down the BillTube and all that people will ever remember is something about balls and stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

´tis all good! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I'm sorry I can't help it

My doctor says that I have ...well I'm obssessed with my pud..

first case he's ever seen..

I'm taking meds ...I'm a lot better now.

Comment

Working...
                              X