Question about GC pre-halloween 'clearance' sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about GC pre-halloween 'clearance' sale

So after almost 20 years on guitar, last month I finally went in the nearest Guitar Center. It is about a 45 minute drive.

Today I received a postcard about the 'big huge super' pre-halloween clearance sale, with promises of "price cuts up to 75% off" but no specifics.

So here is the question.

I can drive up there Friday, but an hour and 1/2 round trip in the car is a pretty big chunk of day: are these things usually all hype, or are there some good deals to be had, or does it vary from GC to GC?

(I liked the guys I talked to in this store the last time I went in.)

As always, thank you for your wisdom.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Question about GC pre-halloween \'clearance\' sale

Most of the time "Great Deals on Stuff you Can't Use"

Well maybe not, depends on what you are looking for?????

Comment

Re: Question about GC pre-halloween \'clearance\' sale

We actually put a bunch of Jackson stuff on clearance...usually clearance gear is used stuff we can't sell or discontinued stuff. But you didn't hear that from me.

Comment

Re: Question about GC pre-halloween \'clearance\' sa

See, even the prospect of a clearance price on used gear is enough to get me to make the drive. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I dunno what I'm looking for, until I see it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

Usually the stuff on sale is pretty decent if you need a guitar or amp or mics. SOmetimes there are good deals on pedals and tuners and other accesories too. I was just at GC today and got a JB jr for 40 bucks and a Wasabi OD pedal for 22 (not very high gain, but I am going to try it out on my tube amp in a few minutes!) I don't know if all GC's do this, but the one I frequent has the "big bin o' deals" that they throw a bunch of stuff in. SOmetimes there is cool stuff (like today) sometimes there is not.

Comment

i say make the drive, bro. I know lotsa folks hate the GC and all it stands for, but there's a lot to like about it. You never know if you'll come across something cool, they can be bargained with if you have cash, and it's just plain fun to look at guitars for an hour or two.

Here's something I never thought i'd say out loud, but I'm gonna do it anyway:

I live an hour from Rochester, New york. Roch is home to the nearest GC, as well as the world famous House of Guitars. Guess which one I prefer spending time in? Surprise: Guitar Center. At HOG, everything's jammed in cases, and getting to play something can sometimes be a pain in the a s s. At GC, you just pull it off the wall and plug in...even the higher end stuff.

Don't read that wrong: I LOVE going to HOG. I just happen to have more fun, and feel less pressured, in the Guitar Center.

So get in the car and drive, Keith. Make a nice little day of it. Tell your clients you have to leave town for a deposition or somethin'.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i say make the drive, bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been talked into it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

"All I know about GC" I've learned from you guys, pro and con, until I first went in. I had a great time in there. No complaints from me. All I bought were some drum heads, but I looked at an ass load of used Jacksons (mostly RRs, and I don't know nuthin about them).

And I've worked the past two weekends, so there is no question about whether I'm taking some time off this week. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
              I don't know if all GC's do this, but the one I frequent has the "big bin o' deals" that they throw a bunch of stuff in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see that in mine, if they have one, but that would be way cool! I'll try all kinds of crazy sh!t, if the price is right. I guess that makes me a garage sale gear whore. And I'm the worst kind: I don't care if it is guitar stuff, bass stuff, mics, keyboard or synth crap, drum parts, recording stuff... GOD HELP ME, I LOVE IT ALL.

OK, it's a sure thing. I'm going. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

I have bought my last 2 guitars there. The only problem is actually trying to hear the instrument your playing. There is always people playing too loud and out of tune to hear what you are doing. Buy by feel. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Bring a headphone and plug in one of the Line6 amps
                  [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I always plug into a PODxt at GC to try guitars out--you don't have to compete with the store's piped-in music or the tuning-challenged teens that way.

You do have to watch out for some of the "sale" items at these big GC blowouts. Sometimes, the "sale" price is really just the normal retail price, while the "normal" price they show on the tag is the list price, which they never charge anyway. But at every one of these sales, you will indeed find some true blowouts--especially the clearance items. They aren't marked as such, but I saw a couple of new USA Jacksons at one of these things a few years back for about $500. Those things don't tend to last, however, so it's good to get to the sale early on.

Comment

Yeah, watch the price thing. I spend alot of time looking at stuff online and in catalogs, so I usually have a decent idea of what the going price is for most things. I have noticed that alot of times they will have a huge thing in the flyer saying "Save 30%" when 30% is what their usual markdown is. Stick a copy of the latest MF catalog in your pocket-if you are not sure if something is a good deal, look it up!

Comment

MF is overpriced though just as GC (sorry Boxcar Willie) they are both at the highend (and MF and GC are the same company to an extent) as are all MAPS but you can always wheel and deal.
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I went. Spent a couple of hours looking the whole place over. Nothing that I couldn't live without.

Three neckthru Jacksons that got my eye: two were stringthru with two EMG hums and those tiny fret markers. Not fins, not dots. Erie dess was $1000, black was $900. One new SL2 (that is what the tag said), $1,100. One cool used USA bolt on trans red archtop double hum (with nickel or chrome covers) with no locking nut and a bridge like I've never seen before: $900.

Neat to look at, but nothing that I couldn't do without. Lots of dinkys, some clearance, but I just wasn't into bolt ons, or non usa's.

If you can't tell, I don't know my Jacksons. Yet. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

keith,
                            make the drive. my buddy scored a les paul standard goldtop
                            for $600.00 last year. that is unreal.
                            sometimes they have nice axes that have been there forever.
                            make the drive, i feel magic vibes about it. you'll score.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Hey Tetsuo no need to apologize-I agree that a lot of the stuff is overpriced. However I can cut you a deal on something easier than someone from MF can over the phone. I gotta eat, man!!

Comment

Working...
                              X