Ticket Prices - Just my thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ticket Prices - Just my thoughts...

I'm a veteran of so many shows I can't begin to count. In 25+ years of shows, I've seen and met more major players and artists than I care to remember.

I've seen pretty big acts in big arenas for like $7.99 I think I reluctantly paid 13.99 to see Black Sabbath and Vanhalen in like 1978. But at least it was good times then ya know and the bands worked hard and people there were cool.

But anymore, I'm wetting so friggin sick of shows... I really try to just see small hall stuff nowdays as I can't reason spending so much to see any large acts. Most people I like are small hall shows anyways now. Even those guys are getting pricey, like Slayer etc. Not likely that I'll pay over 50 bucks to see anyone unless it was with some interesting perqs.

There are only a few places here in Cleveland to see metal bands, and only one is any good, The Agora Theatre. Sadly, the last couple shows there had horrible sound. Seems to be what happens there as of late.

We have Smegmadeth coming Nov 8 to another small hall here, The Odeon, for 40 bucks, and I really don't think I'll go for that. You can hardly see the band hardly at that place. Parking sucks there, in a crap area, and you stand all night.

Seems in general shows just suck anymore period. Expensive, pain to get into, sound sucks, can't see, alcohol is outrageous priced and the cops are friggin hardcore into the bust. Thy monitor these shows like martial law.

Plus, I'm really starting to hate the humans at these shows. I seem to always have to throw the smackdown on some dumbass jakoff who invades our personal space with his usually drunken stupidity. Metalheads seem to have lost a lot of their upstanding qualities lately and seem to be real dikheads a lot.

I hate to be so negative, but, things have really gone downhill. I used to love to go see bands. Anymore, I'm sad when a good one comes, as I know what a pain it will be to get to see them.

When my band played shows, I busted my ass to make sure people felt the 5-7 bucks was well spent coming to see us. Always wanted people to get their moneys worth and they did. Burns my ass when bands are halfass, do short shows in crap halls with crap sound, and want all the money...

Wow, what a rant huh?

Comment

Speaking about merchandise, I burst out laughing at the Van Halen show this summer($95 tickets) when I looked at the prices of stuff they were selling. They actually were asking $105 for a Van Halen baseball jersey!!!! $35 T shirts...... c'mon man, get real.

I just went to see Kansas for $30 a ticket and they made Van Halen and their prices were very reasonable! $15 for the Double live CD, $10 for hat. heres the catch, Kansas made Van Halen look like a bad bar band!!!:fart: There is SO much instramental virtuosity in Kansas, those guys are all masters of their instrament. Van Halen was very sloppy in comparison and had tracked keyboards, etc.... Kansas didnt miss a note, not even one! They played great songs with precision. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Hmmm. I've been wondering about this for a while, too. My guess is that the acts themselves aren't seeing a whole lot of extra $ from the increases, and that most of it is going to the producers, record labels, and/or venue locations.

Comment

Eh I paid like 70 to see Bowie but that was worth it to me personally. He works for his 70 IMO. Most shows are so over priced it hurts just to think about it. I got ½ price tickets for Satriani last saturday so it was 20 bones for a pretty solid three hour show. Not bad really. $40 seems a bit much though for a Satch show but ah well. As John said I try to bust my ass too if people are only paying 5 bones to see me at the local bar.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

It may seem like a bigger production, but Circus' are cheaper. They usually set up camp by the circus for a month or however long and stay in their trailers. $17.50 everynight for a few weeks is good money. Big acts like Metallica travel nonstop and need hotel accomodations for 200 people, so prices go up, especially since its a one time event unlike the circus. Less of a product = more demand, so people pay up the ass. Metallica was in town a few days ago but tickets were like $70-80 so I didn't go, but they have no problem selling the show out because people will pay. I wouldn't blame the rock stars for trying to make more money, I'd blame the people who let the rock stars rip them off.

Shreddermons also right... with contracts these days artists don't make much, they need to reap in as much as they can from touring.

Comment

The numbers only add up to one thing. Greed. The same thinmg they bable against from corporations, only difference is is the corperations swing a pen, the bands swing an instrument. If Metallica has 200 people on the road with them, then they have 150 people or more with nothing to do. Hotel Costs haven't gone up 500% in the last 20 years. Neither has labor rates, Insurance, Bus Rental, Promotors fee's, Gas (Well, not counting the last year) and anything else you can think of. The only thing that has gone up 500% is ticket prices.

Matt

Comment

I work in the production business, we talk about this stuff a lot. have you guys ever seen a union stagehand payroll? it is crazy how many people the ba wants to throw at a concert. not to mention teamsters to drive forklifts and the ibew to "shadow" the sound and light operators. overtime after midnight, the load out always goes until 3 or 4 am. so you have 25 guys on overtime for 4 hours, and sometimes meal penalties too. totally stupid and useless most of them are. Unions in my opinion should stay far away from rock and roll. i guess its cool to have people that know the difference between a neutrik speakon and a mic cable in every city you go to but not at the price they want. that is mostly why ticket prices are through the roof.

Comment

That doesn't add up. Hell, give those road hands $500 a night and it still doesn't even come close to adding up. That's only $12,500 a night. Being conservative, a 10,000 seat place pulling $50 a ticket is a cool half Million as opposed to the $17.50 it cost 20 years ago that would have brought 175,000. Now take a 20,000 seat arena at $80 a head and that's 1.6 Mill.

Like it or not, these bleeding heart rock stars that are on the working class side are bending you over.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X