GTA4 - San Andreas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA4 - San Andreas

Anyone else get this yet? It's a lot bigger than Vice City, but I don't think the main character will be as memorable as Tommy Vercetti.
    They got some SnoopDogg-wannabe doing the voice of the main character, and there's tons more harsh language in it.

There's also tons more areas to explore, though, which is great.

Unfortunately it has one major issue that I am not at all happy about - the "SpaceChannel5" type mini-games where you have to push the buttons at the right tim to make the guy dance. It wouldn't be so bad if those games weren't tied into the main mission, meaning you HAVE to go through them to proceed to the next storyline mission.
    There's a similar one where you have to work the hydraulics in a lowrider to the beat in order to advance, but that's f'n retarded and should only be a side game.

Most of the old VC cars are in it - the Voodoo, Hotring racer, PCJ-600, Sanchez, and some others, but there's 3 new motorcycles, as well as BMX bikes. The main character (CJ) also has stats you can work on and build up like in an RPG - Stamina, Muscle, Fat (too much makes you a slob, too little robs your muscles), lung capacity (YES! You can SWIM this time!), and whatnot.

Unfortunately, when you first start the game, it doesn't tell you where to go or what to do like VC did. You hafta run around until something pops up and tells you that you're close to where you need to go.

Anyhoo, I've been playing for a couple of days, but haven't progressed too far, because it IS so huge. Even with all the right Codebreaker cheats (health, ammo, etc etc) you still gotta actually go through the missions to get to the end, and the dancing crap slowed me down - made me waste 3 gamedays on that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There's also more radio stations, but no Metal channel :madd: There's like 4 Rap/House/Boo'sheet channels, an Alternative station (that plays Ozzy's Hellraiser [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]), a Classic Rock station that plays Strutter and Horse With No Name (), and the typical Public Radio thing with funny dialog and funny commercials and such. There's also a Country station.
    There shoulda been a Metal station. VC had one, and it only had a few weak songs.
    Anyhoo, it's easy to see what demographic this edition is aimed for.

It could be better in some parts, but I'm still playing it - at least till Halo 2 comes out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: GTA4 - San Andreas

I've not cheated one time, and the dancing stuff is easy...you hit a button when it comes under a circle.

The stations could be better, but the commentary is funny.

If you're too much of a pansy to hear the proverbial N word, don't get the game. They also drop, every other cuss word.

Newc, I don't think it's particularly aimed at the crowd you think it is, I think it's ripping on how silly their gang life is/was.

I'm suprised you haven't mentioned the terrible glare you get on some parts with that sun being so damn bright.

I won't be playing halo, or halo 2, I think they were both no good, so I'll play this until I beat it, then possibly play bards tale until Metal Gear Snake Eater comes out.

Comment

I wish it could come out on Gamecube [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

I wish it could come out on Gamecube [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

They will never release a game of that nature on a Nintendo system. Nintendo has always catered more towards kids. Sony and Microsoft are breaking that boundry, thus forcing Nintendo to do more in the way of making games that are adult oriented.

I'm not saying gamecube, or nintendo systems for that matter don't have good games, rather that they are a little devoid in the area of adult oriented ratings (M).

I know there's exceptions to every rule, but for the most part, you want kiddy games, get a nintendo system, you want adult games, buy Sony or Xbox.

Comment

True about the kiddie games and Nintendo. They are so concerned with NOT insulting anyone that it's pathetic. They removed the crosses from the headstones in the opening sequence of one of the Castlevania games (3?) to keep from offending non-Christians (even though the storyline itself is set deep in the heart of Roman Catholic Europe).

And I simply despise the "button dancing" stuff. There are games available that cater to the dance crowd, and that's where that stuff should stay.
            And yeah that glare is truly annoying. It was bad in VC, but this time it's a helluva lot worse. You can't do anything at sunrise or sunset because of it.

I'm also not too fond of the way the Missions are being doled out - I was nabbed by the cops and told I had to go find a guy, so I went looking and after 30 minutes of NOT finding the guy, I go back to the cops, and THEN it throws me right back into the game saying "Go find the guy" and shows him as a blip on the radar. I'm like "Dammit, you just TOLD me to go find the guy, why do I have to go back to you so that you can tell me AGAIN to go find the guy?"

This one is not going to be as good as VC, and won't have the fan support like VC had, and it's all going to be due to the screwups.

Another gripe: once again they think it's a good idea to give you an ass-heavy car to do important missions in (i.e. get to so and so before he gets killed, but even if you hit a pedestrian at 5 MPH your car spins around in the opposite direction)

The Stinger, Comet, and Hot Ring Racer were the best cars in Vice City - they had the best traction and handling. The others were spin-happy and flip-wagons. So far there's not many cars in SA worth having. The Corvette thing is nice, and you can get a Hot Ring Racer once you win the NASCAR-style arena race, but there's far too many of the crappy VC cars like the Perennial (station wagon), Stallion (good night this car blows), and the Hermes (slow, noisy, and weak). Not to mention that POS that's always in front of your main house.

But at least it's better than Driver 3 - I was about to put my foot through my PS2 because of how the guy responds (or doesn't) to the "Get in the damn car" command.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I love SA. I'm in San Fierro right now (having trouble with a certain guy in a certain helicopter) won't tell you what exactly to not spoil it.

I never use cheats before I beat a game completely.

One thing bothers me, and that's the AIMING system, it blows bigtime, VC had a good aiming system, imho, but in SA you press R1 to autolock, and CJ turns around or looks up or something, and he just won't lock on to the real targets, causing you to get shot to pieces (which happens quite easily).
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

A buddy of my was ranting about the game. He also said he stole a tractor and then did a driveby with it. That made me laugh. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I am really enjoying this game. That BMX bike is a great addition. Granted the "metal" radio station (note the qoutes) sucks hard. I'm stuck on Ceaser's low rider race mission. All in all, I think it is a great game. I do agree with Newc; CJ is no Tommy Vercetti.

Comment

We needed a change from Tommy. And now that I'm through in San Fiero and heading to Las Venturas, I'm growing quite fond of CJ.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Getting shot to pieces due to the game's targetting and control problems is exactly why I put the cheats in. I'm not interested in devoting weeks or months to it, I just wanna see how it ends without getting killed. I never did like the "you're our ONLY hope so we're not even gonna be there most of the time to help" games because they always put you as literally the only one doing all the work, and then taking all the blame (i.e. Mission Failed, bad performance ratings, etc etc) so I cheat to even the odds - since I get no help, then I take no damage [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It does have a "few-star" voice cast though:
                      Ice-T
                      Samuel L. Jackson
                      Chris Penn
                      Peter Fonda
                      James Woods

The rest are people I either never heard of or TV actors I haven't heard anything from in 10 years.

Driver 3 has a bunch of popular actors doing the voices - like Michael Madsen, Iggy Pop, Ving Rhames, and Mickey Rourke.
                      Funny thing about Driver 3 - you drive around a corner and there's a guy with an M16 in a Hawaiian Flowerdy shirt blasting you. So you gun him down and it says "Timmy Vermicelli 1 of 10 Wasted" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

"I never did like the "you're our ONLY hope so we're not even gonna be there most of the time to help" games because they always put you as literally the only one doing all the work, and then taking all the blame (i.e. Mission Failed, bad performance ratings, etc etc) so I cheat to even the odds - since I get no help, then I take no damage"

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I think you're taking it a little too personally! I haven't played this game except for about 15 minutes yet but I don't like it as much as VC just because the vibe in that game is totally cool. Plus I don't really care for making your guy have to eat and work out and stuff that just becomes a chore rather than a fun game. My roommate says that once you play it more you get a bit more absorbed in it and it gets cooler, so I will have to give it more time if I can.

Comment

Newc, I agree with you..I'm just in denial :P

I do like the game, granted the dance **** could go, however, I breeze through it to get to the next part.

The auto target is bull man, you hit the button and it will target a bystander NOT shooting at you, rather than the ass muncher shooting you. All my gun ratings are hitman, so I don't see how my guy sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The glare BLOWS.

Overall, I'd buy it again, even knowing what I know, and it's going to tide me over till MGS3 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Agreed. The targeting system needs work, but I think the pure "massiveness" of this game makes up for any shortcomings. One review stated that SA is six times bigger than VC and even more so than GTAIII. Although I am more fond of mafia type take overs in GTAIII and VC than the whole gang banging aspect of this one. We'll see how this one turns out.

Newc, I had trouble with the same mission; "Life's a beach" I believe, the one where you have to dance. I went to the dance club and practiced. Once you master Snoop's song and get promoted to level 2, the next song is the exact same song for that mission. So, you can practice it as many times as you want. Worked for me.
                            "

Comment

Working...
                            X