Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USPS- denial of services...you won't believe this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS- denial of services...you won't believe this.

As those of you who I've bought or sold guitars from know, we live in a tiny town in southern Illinois of about 900 people. We have no mailboxes on our houses and all mail or packages have to be picked up or dropped off at our one room post office. I've shipped lots of guitars out of there and I always get there at about 4:30-4:45 to handle my business. So I go there yesterday at 4:34 pm to buy a money order and ship a guitar case (for the second time...long story). They close at 4:55 pm. The sole employee, who I commonly deal with, asks me if I'm going to pay for the MO and postage with a debit card. I told her that I was. She says, "Sorry, I already closed out my receipts for the day. I closed them out at 4:30; you'll have to come back another day." Now, realize that the earliest I can get there is about 4:30 or a little after and they are still open. I regularly buy money orders and ship guitars during the last half hour that they are open and it has never been a problem before. It was raining and I carried the King V case, which was boxed up of course, back out to my truck and left. I asked her when it became a policy that customers could not buy postage or pay for services after 4:30 pm but while the post office was still open for business. She said that she's been doing it that way for 10 years. This wasn't true because she's handled my transactions several times previously at similar times of the business day. I was shocked that she was ultimately saying that it doesn't matter that many customers can't get to their post office til late in the business day. If a customer wants to use a debit card to pay for services and it's during the last 20 minutes that the post office is open, guess we'll have to find another company to ship thru.

I came right home and called the USPS hotline and filed a report about it. The person who took the call was shocked as well and said that someone would be calling about it. I was completely blown away that she would refuse to sell postage or allow the purchase of a money order using a debit card. Anyone else have an experience like this? Anyone here work for the USPS and can give their impressions fo this scenario?

Re: USPS- denial of services...you won\'t believe t

Dood, if you're going to have to keep dealing with her, you may have just bit yourself in the ass. I mean, that sucks and I would have been pissed too, but you gotta keep dealing with her for the next ___ years while you ship stuff, right?

Sorry that happened, bro,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Re: USPS- denial of services...you won\'t believe this.

They close at 4:55? She cashed out her register at 4:30? Could be a union thing, I suppose. More likely, it sounds like a lazy f'n employee who doesn't want to stay the extra 5 or 10 minutes it'll take her to cash out her register and lock the doors. Taking advantage of the small town BS that she wouldn't be able to get away with in a bigger post office with more employees (read: supervisors), so she can bail at exactly 5:00 on the dot.

You were right to complain. ...But, given the small town nature, she'll probably figure out it was you and give you a hard time now, too. ....If she does, file another complaint. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The last report I filed, they said the same thing, they we shocked etc, Guess what they did for me, nothing not a damm thing. Hope it works out for you, that sucks.
        www.kiddhavok.com
        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

TM,
          You've paid with a debit card before, with this lady handling the transaction?
          So its not like you've never done this?
          That is really odd.
          Maybe she's schizophrenic. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          I wouldn't have been too thrilled either. Grrr.

That's happened to me before- I get to a store or a place half hour or so before it closes, and the employees are complete jerks. Usually I don't return if I have a choice.
          When I worked at Subway Sandwiches in college I would get hordes of kids in FIVE minutes before closing and I'd have a huge mess to clean up. And I was all by myself. It sucked, but business hours are business hours.

Comment

Where's my damn case Tom?

LOL, just kidding bro! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Where's my damn case Tom?

LOL, just kidding bro! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since he pissed off the only postal employee in town she took liberty to cahnge the address and send it to South America instead of Canada [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Good point about having to deal with her in the future. But, being a tiny one room post office, I can always use the larger post offices in other nearby towns. We have to drive west each day for work, school, etc so stopping in O'Fallon or Fairview Heights is not an inconvenience at all.
                In our town, everybody knows everybody and I've bever had even the smallest difficulty in shipping or buying postage there before. Now, she and the postmaster (only those 2 employees total) have seemed, shall I say, maybe a little unhappy that I have brought in big guitar boxes at 4:35 or whatever for them to weigh, measure, write insurance and delivery confirmation on. But they always would say, "No problem" and jokingly mention that they were almost done for the day, etc. But neither one of them have ever said anything to make me think that they were genuinely angry that I brought a package in to ship in the last half hour they were open. This time, however, she said that if I was using a debit card to pay for postage and a money order, she wouldn't do it and I'd have to come back another time. So in all likelihood, she was pissed because I brought another large package up to ship late in the day. On at least one other occasion, I purchased a money order at around 4:45 and the Postmaster mentioned that she was putting the purchase on the next days receipts since she had already closed out her register. So this lady just didn't want to do anything or it was her way of telling me that she was pissed that I brought a package up late in the day. Or a combination of the two.

Comment

Tom,

Just go to FedEx, an actual FedEx hub at Horseshoe Rd and 255, right down from my house. They're open till 8pm most of the time, and you drive right by there from school.

Good luck!

Pat

Comment

It's just that USPS seems to take better care of guitars so I always ship with them. In this case, the case was going to Canada and therefore less costly with the postal service.

Comment

Lazy employee, as was stated earlier. Like she's got somewhere important to go in a town of 900 people? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm just surprised you CAN buy a M.O. with a debit card!!! Every time I try that, they say that I have to pay cash. Some sh!t about how long it takes to process a debit card transaction... that I could cash the M.O. before they actually have the money, and I could cancel the debit card payment or it could bounce or something!

Comment

One time I walked into my local Subway at 9:35 and they had packed all the stuff away....man was I pissed cuz I was hungry! The close time is supposed to be 10 PM. I contacted the manager later and he was very apologetic; he sent me 2 coupons for free meals! Sa-weet!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I lived in a small town(600 people) for a few years, and I understand how businesses in a town that small are usually run pretty relaxed. But the post office is a branch of the federal government, no matter if there are two employees or two hundred. You have every right to complain.

Comment

Agreed. Federal buildings have a set open and closed schedule, and they have to stick to that schedule.

Ron - Yeah I almost ran into that Subway sh1t up here. They close at midnight but put everything away and lock the door at 11:45, so they can walk out the door at 12:00. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                              The chick behind the counter was trying to rationalize it to me and I told her straight out - "The sign on the door says you don't close until midnight. That means you don't START putting everything away until 12:00. So what, you don't get out of here until 12:15 at the latest. Boo Hoo Hoo, too bad for you."
                              Friggin lazy ass children.

Of course, knowing how lazy ass children are, I didn't lay that on her until AFTER she handed me my order [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll have mine without spit, thank you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X