Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE Need To Work On Post Titles...

[rant]

I'm not picking on anybody here, but some of you post threads with titles that tell nothing about the topic whithin. That's just wrong.

Here's some recent examples:
    HOLY FUCKIN SHlT!!!
    Holy Crap!!
    SCORE!
    Tomorrow...
    I can't believe I missed this one! UGH! (NOT in the ebay section...)
    Holy moley
    weird
    ???

You get the idea.
    Please label your threads with a title that is at least a little descriptive?
    Thank you.

[/end rant]

Re: WE Need To Work On Post Titles...

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, but these kinds of thread titles work well with Newc's "TV Guide" game... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

True, those titles are teases... have no idea what's in them until you open them. The Acoustic Guitar Forum is full of forum users who don't know how to post good thread titles and it drives me nuts because I don't feel like clicking on all of them just to find information that might be pertinent to me:

-Taylor question (there are a million of these threads) [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
      -Help!
      -What was going on here?
      -Purty!!!
      -Advice please!
      -Whaddya know?

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's probably why I don't participate at that forum as much as the JCF.

Comment

I agree, Chuck, though I have been guilty of it somewhat.

[rant]
        Another prime example is the SG Jr Ebay thread that just says "Jake E Lee", but the listing says nothing of Jake. The only link between the man and the guitar is that he played one similar to it in a video [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
        That's a pretty weak excuse to throw out your hero's name.

The biggest problem that vague thread titles creates is duplicate threads on the same subject - especially in the Efraid section. You've got one person posting about a San Dimas Jackson as soon as it appears in the Newly Listed category under the title of "Nice one", then a few hours later someone else comes in and posts it again with the title "Killer San Dimas!", and then when it has 2 or 3 days left, someone else comes in and posts "Anybody seen this one?" and all three threads are the same guitar.
        Now, I don't recommend trying to type the whole description in the title like a smartass/dumbass, but if it's about a woman with big silicone tits, say it in the title. If it's about a guitar like Jake used in a video, say "SG Jr like Jake Lee used".

Other thread titles are pretty much self-explanatory - "Nice description, asswipe" lets us all know that it's a good read, even if there's only 5 words. It's gonna be funny.
        However, again you run across the duplicate posts - one guy says "Nice description", another one says "What the hell?" and a third asks - yet again - "anyone seen this one?"

Even in the other sections: "Funny video" - about what? It might be something I've already seen that takes 30 minutes to d/l.
        "Disturbing" - can you be more vague?
        And of course the Ultimate Vague Thread Title goes to everyone who titles a thread: "???"

[/rant]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          And of course the Ultimate Vague Thread Title goes to everyone who titles a thread: "???"

[/ QUOTE ]

I JUST read that thread in the Tech Q&A section. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"???" was an edited, late addition to my list.

Yeah, I've done it too. I'm guilty. Just tryin to raise the level a tad.

Comment

Yeah, just trying to teach the kids "Do as I say, not as I do" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

We need to work on post content... I've never seen more drivel in my 3 yrs or so around here... It's horid...

Pat

Comment

Now now, just as fat in a piece of food meat adds flavor, so does drivel add to the substance of the board [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

since you brought up thread thingy's... one thing that bugs of me is when someone post a picture of something and others reply to it with quotes and you see the exact same picture 20 times in the same thread with the only thing added to it "nice" "cool" "drool" etc etc etc
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yup!! I hate that too!
                      Hey, there's a lot more stuff that I hate than I originally thought! This is great!! <-- Major "Becker" fan...

Comment

On this mustang form I visit, when you put your mouse arrow over the title of a subject,it shows a sample of whats inside the post. This would be a great addition to this form also. Yes?
                        Finn

Comment

I know I haven't been around too long... but really the only thing that bugs the crap outta me is when someone bumps a thread that does NOT need to be bumped. For example, a thread that is right on the front page for all to see.
                          I go in there thinking someone replied to a topic and there's nothing there. Nada. Zilcharoo.
                          Y'all get what I'm sayin'? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Though I do think if you've posted in the classifieds you can bump your own thread- sometimes there's a lot of gear moving around in there.

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

How about when someone does a search and finds an archived thread from six months ago, reads it, gets all excited and posts to it, thereby bringing a thread back from the dead!?

Comment

Chuck, if they don't reply to that old thread someone is gonna flame them for not sticking to the "one true thread" or "don't you know how to use the search function".
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X