**** ClearChannel - RIP KSJO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **** ClearChannel - RIP KSJO

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Goddamned motherfucking sons of bitches ClearChannel yesterday killed off KSJO, a Bay Area radio institution that has been broadcasting metal and hard rock since before those terms even existed. (About 40 years)

They turned it into yet another latino station. I can't even begin to count the number of rock stations that have disappeared in the last 5 years to be replaced by latino stations. Nothing against such stations, but they are taking over the whole damned dial. Starting to feel like LA up here. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

They didn't even say a word about the change. No "thanks for listening all these years, times are changing, demographics are changing, blah blah." Nothing. Just at midnight on Saturday they start playing Mexican music.

**** I'm pissed. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: **** ClearChannel - RIP KSJO

Sounds a lot like what happened in San Antonio while I was living there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Clear Channel is just one of many things wrong with your system, they broke up the phone company because it was a monoploy yet clear channel can own 9/10ths of all the radio markets in the USA.Sad very very sad.
      www.kiddhavok.com
      www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

clear channel bought everything in denver about 4 years ago. now there is 1 "pop rock/metal" station 1 "classic rock" where there was 3 or 4 of each. to make it worse clear channel and CBS merged a few years ago. a publishing arm of CBS was trying to buy the denver post/rocky mountain news about 1 year or so ago.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

No Habla,, No Habla,,
          Humm, Maybe the good old KOME 98.5 will wake from the dead.
          Where's Dennis E Rectus when you need him?
          Finn

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Clear Channel is just one of many things wrong with your system, they broke up the phone company because it was a monoploy yet clear channel can own 9/10ths of all the radio markets in the USA.Sad very very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand and agree with what you're saying Skidd, but what do you mean by "MY" system? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I can tell you exactly why ClearChannel gets the preferential government treatement that they do, but then this discussion would turn political and would get canned. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand and agree with what you're saying Skidd, but what do you mean by "MY" system? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I can tell you exactly why ClearChannel gets the preferential government treatement that they do, but then this discussion would turn political and would get canned. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant "the" my ours etc. I live in the US. In WPB you can't even surf the dail anymore. All the breaks are at the same time so you can't go look for a song etc. It was one of their selling points when they wanted me to buy radio ads.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

i knew they did that ****. same here in denver!

[ QUOTE ]
                All the breaks are at the same time so you can't go look for a song etc. It was one of their selling points when they wanted me to buy radio ads.

[/ QUOTE ]
                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I meant "the" my ours etc. I live in the US. In WPB you can't even surf the dail anymore. All the breaks are at the same time so you can't go look for a song etc. It was one of their selling points when they wanted me to buy radio ads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it. Not to mention the fact that there are more ads than music.

Satellite radio is starting to look better and better...

One of the first things I noticed when I moved to San Francisco from Montreal 5 years ago was the diversity of radio stations here. There was something for everybody. The market in Montreal had turned to all pop or alternative. On the SF airwaves I was able to listen to new rock, old rock, metal, punk, dance, you name it. "Cool", I thought. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Then I noticed that while typical commercial breaks in Canada were 30 seconds to 2 minutes MAX, here they are like 6-10 minutes. Ugh! Well, if that's the price I have to pay to be able to hear the likes of Ozzy, Maiden, and The Clash on the radio, so be it. But now all I've got is bad pop and latino music, and commercials. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Oh well, I guess I'll go back to just listening to CDs and my iPod in the car.

Comment

Growing up in the Texas Panhandle, I never knew what good radio was like (since 99.9% of the stations were country music stations), so I don't miss it now that it's apparently gone.

I don't recall CBS and Clear Channel merging (and they aren't the same company now. Viacom's - owner of CBS - Infinity Radio is still separate from Clear Channel). Of course, I don't recall CBS ever having a newspaper publishing arm (and I would think Dean Singleton would sell the Post first chance he got, especially since he's been concentrating on his California operations over the last few years), so what do I know.

If anyone buys both the RMN and the Denver Post, one of the papers will disappear.

But anyway, because radio sucked back in my day already, I've always been a CD/Tape kind of guy.

Comment

There is one real DJ left here in Los Angeles on public radio. Jim Ladd. Lord have mercy. I try and catch his program whenever I am in the car between 10pm and 2am weekdays. Other than that college radio is kinda pansy, but at least it's not the same two hundred songs that you hear on the other stations. And I also listen to oldies on Motown Mondays.

Your love keeps liftin' me up, Your love keeps lifitn' me up, Higher and Higher, HIGHER!!

Yeah, that's me, the dude driving all over L.A. singing along to Jackie Wilson!!

Comment

NOOOOOOO. KSJO and KOME where the only stations I listened to when I was stationed at Moffett field. I even have their stickers on one of my Charvels. Dirty fridays was the greatest. I used to be able to tune in online until the company I worked for blocked us from the internet. Check out the XM thread. RIP KSJO 92.3 fm.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's very political, but no where near as one sided as Salon.com and other liberal rags would have you believe. The Mays family (owners of Clearchannel) get preferential treatment because they're filthy stinking rich. And they throw their money at whoever is in charge at the time. Just because they're from Texas don't assume they're Bush supporters. They support him now that he's in power. I clearly remember a HUGE Clinton/DNC rally thrown by Clearchannel in Orlando during the Clinton years. I was living there at the time and thought it was a little odd for a radio station to be so publicly biased. Clinton killed the radio ownership restrictions in this country, allowing Clearchannel to own the stations they own. Used to be you couldn't own more than (3 or 4?) stations in a single market.

So it's political? Yeah, but with the same type of loyalty they use when killing off all the good rock stations (which they did in Dallas too BTW).

Comment

Mudkicker --> Fortunately, Lamont & Tonelli took their morning show from KSJO over to KSAN 107.7 (The Bone) 3 or 4 years ago. In fact, most of the KSJO crew left for KSAN. So you can tune them in over the 'net and get your fix. The show has only gotten better as they seem to be able to get away with absolutely anything now.

Beaner --> I wasn't referring to any special support from the President. This preferential treatment comes from a much lower level and unfortunately is more relgious affiliation based than politics driven.

Comment

It sucks that KSJO is now gone. I just wish Lamont and Tonelli would go away too. At least The Bone still has the Metal Zone on fridays.

Comment

Working...
                              X