• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: any JCF martial artists here?

I Wang Chung, does that count?? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Muay Thai kickboxing and many years of Jeet Kun Do.

Although, I think I would trade it all in for Germandeth's "3rd degree elastic belt in wang dang sweet poontang" - that sounds much more fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I do Dim Sum, Kung Po, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Szechuan, Lo Mein etc.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Taoist Kung Fu, 2 black stripes back in the 80's, as soon as my 2 1/2 yr old daughter is old enough to go, it's Tai kwan doe for the both of us, I miss it and I want my little girl to be able to kick ass! no girlie girls in my house!
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I started studying under a friend of mine a while ago. He's an amazing fighter. He took Judo and a bunch of others a long time ago, then practically became a hermit and taught himself.

Martial Arts is a lot of fun. Painful as f*ck, but fun. I'm thinking about joining either Kung Fu or Karate pretty quick here.

Comment

I also studied under sum dum fuk while in college. I majored in advanced skrew two tang where you have multiple "opponents" of the opposite sex. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Mortal Kombat champion.
                J/K

I did Shotokan and some Kyokushinkai.

Comment

Fight or Flight

You just try and catch me [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Actually I like weapons

Matt

Comment

I've done martial arts since I was a kid but it's been a couple years since I've been in a dojo because I broke my knee pretty bad and need some more surgery to be back to 100%. I used to do Choi Kwang Do, my favorite style I did where I earned a first degree black belt and Seido where I just got to a junior black belt (and broke my knee).
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

8 years of Shotokan Karate and still practicising [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

3 years of Shotokan, and 6 years of Wadokai (an offshoot of Shotokan). Now I am out of shape, but I can still kick over my head as long as I'm not wearing tight pants.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I took Kenpo and aikido since I was 12.....after a few REAL fights in bars, I realized it was a waste of time.-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I love it when someone gets their ass kicked and then blames the art when they should be blaming themselves or their teacher. It's not the art's fault you weren't able to apply it realistically. Maybe you had a shitty teacher or school or maybe it was just you. There are plenty of people who use it everyday. It's saved me a few times.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            After 12 years and starting over from white belt 3 times I'm going to finally be getting my black belt in Kenpo in 3 weeks. I'm pumped! Just curious if there are any other martial artists here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned that you are getting your black belt in 3 weeks. Do you have to do anything to get it? A buddy of mine was 1 step away from a black belt ( I don't remember which martial art) and the test for black was extremely difficult. "Snatch the pebble from my hand and it will be time for you to leave". lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My teacher doesn't test students for rank. He decides when you're ready and pretty much promotes you on the spot. Black belt promotions are usually held until everyone in the group can get together and be present. Not all, but most schools that make people test for rank do so for the purpose of collecting testing fees. My teacher doesn't make his living teaching so that doesn't really interest him.

Comment

6-years of Hun-Gar Kung Fu
                              4 years of Shotokan Karate
                              3 years of Akkido Karate
                              2 years of Jeet Kun Do
                              3 years of Traditonal Kendo training
                              5 years of fenceing
                              15 years Bounceing in bars,
                              & a whole list of battle scars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Our black belt requirements were very strict for Tang So Doo. Hell, our belt requirements were. I'd hold a black belt, if A; I didn't wear a black shirt under my dobhak at my Blue test, and B; I had an operation and instead of having the required 36 or 48 classes, I was one short. After that, I had several more surgeries, and stopped taking.

I took Ju Jitsu from a guy, who learned it in Japan. He was quite the character. My friend was his neighbor, and one day he saw us wrestling, and said "if you want to know really how to defend yourself". And that was that.

Every fight I get into, before I throw the 1st punch, I make a quick judgement, can I take him to the ground? If I can, what do I go for, a guitine (spelling) choke, or an armbar? If I can't win on the ground, then it's all strikes to keep them at bay.

Ju Jitsu is pretty bad ass, when you're NOT taping out. People see, for instance UFC, and think that's it, you don't really get hurt or whatever. An armbar on someone, when you don't stop when they tap, is very devastating. A choke, they go unconcious. I've NEVER been in a fight where I stopped when someone *tapped* out. In sparring yes, but in a real fight, I do it until it's done.

I never got to take any of it, but my sisters boyfriend *(dead now) was a kick boxing champ in Ohio 2X and PA 2X and I think even NJ once.

Sometimes martial arts are not practical in some applications, and some street fighters can go longer and harder. You shouldnt be judgemental of someone who has an opinion, that their street fighting skills are better than their martial arts skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X