Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning Down a Job Offer - Am I a F**king Idiot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turning Down a Job Offer - Am I a F**king Idio

The only job I never turn down is a blowjob..

well I turned it down once when I had the stomach flu and I been regreting that ever since.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Think of it this way: My ideal would be to do something like my current job (cool challenging stuff, on the front-line, rewarding), with a better boss & environment, and less hours / more family time. If I could find something like that I would gladly TAKE A PAY CUT to do it. ...Not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess thats why I figured job #2; it featured a better environment and less working hours, which it sounded like were more important to you overall, than interesting work/personal growth aspect of the current job. For me environment/working hours would be the greater importance, throw in higher pay for the hell of it and there's not much not to like.

Comment

Considering that you are in the northeast part of the US, the job security aspect becomes fairly important. If the new job only lasts 2 years, then what? Stay.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sounds like your perfect solution would be to flip your A-hole supervisor to the job you were offered, and stay where you are in peace!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Whoah, Lerx... good call. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yeah, pass it on to him and be rid of him [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Sounds like your perfect solution would be to flip your A-hole supervisor to the job you were offered, and stay where you are in peace!

[/ QUOTE ]

That might work well, except for the fact the she generally has that same reputation outside the organization. So it's doubtful she'd get hired. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(...And yes, I said "she", you male chauvinist pigs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Comment

SHredd... It all depends if you can handle the stress of really leading a subpar team in a stressful situation. If you think you can and you should know yourself then take the new postion. Me personally... I would take the new postion. You know all the details though. You know what allows you to make the better next step.

You know as we all know that the higher profile jobs are fantastic if you suceed beacuse it just elevates you higher but if you fail it can get ugly. Failed actors can they really go back and shoot sommercials or low wage stuff? It is as if they are blackballed. Just something to consider. I am married and have no kids and personally I would take the risk... but I have no kids.
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The only job I never turn down is a blowjob..

well I turned it down once when I had the stomach flu and I been regreting that ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he, [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]your life partner/lover scheeved out that you had a stomach flu and didn't want your sickly mouth on his pecker??? lol. Or was it that you did not want to swallow because you felt it would make your stomach flu worse????? J/K [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My girldfriend passed on better paying jobs being offered to her for three years because she loved where she worked.I couldnt understand why since they were all better paying positions.She just said that sometimes you have to place your happiness ahead of money.So i understand now what you are saying shreddermon.I am currently persuing a new career with a ton of challenges in the same field s my ol lady.

Now she passed on all of these offers only to come to work on a friday after lunch only to find out they were closing the doors and she was laid-off.She told me that fro now on she will entertain offers because you just nevr know what the future holds.Being that she is in an industry that needed her job skills, she had a new job the next week.

read:job security isnt really job security anymore.Its just being comfrtable where your at.Its definatly not what it used to be.

I say, if you believe in you, pass on it because obvioulsy you are capable of finding something else down the road.My girl onlyregretted passing on the offers until she found a new company she liked with new challenges.Regret only last a little while if you are motivated to better yourself.I can tell you already made up your mind, dont feel bad if its what your heart is telling you to do.

Comment

sounds like you already made up your mind shreddermon, no you aren't an a$$hole for turnin it down. The pros in my mind outweigh the cons but hey...its your life [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Re: Turning Down a Job Offer - Am I a F**king Idiot?

I don't know how well skilled you are, what your resume is, or if you're an idiot.

That said,

The higher pay raise you get, you could stock back, and lean on, if something DID happen.

The job sounds interesting to you.

Without knowing the complete semantics of it, we really can't judge.

A few other things to factor in, if you're working 10 hour days now, and the others will be shorter, then you're not really getting a 20% increase, you're getting more of an increase, but a few less hours. Like this, if you make 10 dollars an hour, 100 a day if you work 10 hours (not counting overtime, because it sounds like you're in a management job), if you work 8 hours a day, at 15 dollars an hour, 120 a day, it looks like a 20% increase, but it's really a 50% increase.

Okay, that said, the question is this, you're worried about job security? You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Don't worry about things, you cannot have anything to do with.

Whatever job in the end makes you happier is the one I would go with.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Whatever job in the end makes you happier is the one I would go with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've done a lot of soul searching about this one. I've come to the conclusion that, except for a couple of factors, it's my current position.

For a while I thought the other way. But the more thought I've given about the new position, the less attractive it is to me. Two years or so ago, this would have been a no-brainer and I would've jumped at the new job. But they've made changes to that position since then, and have discussed even more changes in the interviews with me. Some good & some bad, but overall those changes have been to the bad, IMHO.

Thanks for the advice, guys. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

COOL, you tried to make sense of it and in the end, your guy feeling is what you decided was right.

Comment

Shreddermon, go with your gut. In todays market place "Job Security" anywhere is a myth. I'm in the technology field and I could stay where I am for 10 more years, or on Monday morning I could be told my job is going to India. When I follow my gut , I find I'm rarely ever wrong.
                                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X