May buy a new 'puter soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May buy a new \'puter soon...

OK, I'm about to go for the Dell 8400 deal. One last question concerniong upgrades: I eventually want to record with this. Nothing elaborate, just single tracks.
    Should I upgrade the sound card to the Soundblaster Live for $25 or the Soundblaster Audigy for $80?
    Second choice, harddrive: I want to be able to burn CDs. It comes with a single 48X CD-ROM drive. Do I add a single drive CD-RW, or do I want t dual drive?

Comment

no Chuck. I'd wouldn't upgrade the sound card with Dell. Get a 2496 card from Emu or M-Audio...about 100 bucks and blow anything soundblaster away

I didn't look at it but if it isnt a write drive you would need another one, if it is write capable you wouldn't need a second drive.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

No one complains about outsourcing, until they get affected by it...funny.

Anyway, for computers,
        go to pricewatch.com, you can check out what places are selling computer parts, at the best prices.

Also check out Newegg.com they are very reasonable on a lot of things.

There is not a problem with the Dell, I ordered mine a year ago online, in less than 15 minutes. They then kit, process, and ship your order. (after confirming method of payment of course).

If you need tech support, call during US business hours, or you're going to get someone in India. I swear to God I had one woman ask me if she could use my email for her own use to contact me...messed up crap.

The one time I did have a problem, my hard drive was fubar(imagine that, sitting by Marshall 4x12 cabs). They brought me a new one. Since they didn't have an 80 gig, they brought me a 200 gig. Some guy even came and put it in (not like I couldn't, but hey, fukk it!).

I can't complain about Dell, save for the tech support can sometimes take some time. You'll have an issue, and they will want you to check out about 30 other things, not even related to it.

Just ask for a senior tech when you call. Also, it's by far better than AOL tech support.

Comment

well, my pc had a cd rw and a dvd rom drive. the cool thing about it was that i could put a disc that i wanted to copy in the dvd drive, and copy it on my dc rw all in one step. that's the only real benefit i see. it's a cool one, tho!

but if you can only pick one, then get the rw of course.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            no Chuck. I'd wouldn't upgrade the sound card with Dell. Get a 2496 card from Emu or M-Audio...about 100 bucks and blow anything soundblaster away

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I have an Echo Mia and it is far superior to any Soundblaster I've ever had.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That's a $100 sound card vs. a $25 sound card. This is spendy enough as it is.
              Are you sure the Soundblaster Live wouldn't be good enough?

And I like the dual drive idea, thanks Sully!

Comment

Chuck,

If you can put a drive in yourself, there's another deal on that site for a dual drive for $49.

If it's eventually going to happen, recording that is, just get the $25 upgrade now and get a Mia, M-Audio or whatever when you're ready.

Pat

Comment

That's what I'm thinkin.

I'm gettin the dual drive for $49 and the Soundblaster Live for $25.

I think I'm gonna upgrade the harddrive to 80 gig (from 40) for $20 as well.

Comment

Yah, I've got a sound blaster live downstairs, runs pretty good. I've got an audigy 2 platinum up here, and I'm looking for something better.

Ive not looked at anything these guys are talking about.

I usually stray away from computer build threads...makes me want to build another one.

If you buy an aftermarket vid card, buy something by Gain Ward. They are a 3rd party who gets the license to a chip set, and makes their card. I've never seen one burn up. I've never seen one go bad. The only time I've seen one crash was when it was insanely over clocked, and we were TRYING to crash it. Good stuff, and in the gaming industry heralded as gold.

Comment

Sounds like a plan Chuck, get er done...

Pat

Comment

It's done. I orderd the 8400 and added the dual CR ROM RW drives, the 80 gig hard drive, the Soundblaster Live card, and the speakers with the subwoofer.
                        A little over a grand and it's orderd!

Thanks to everybody who helped...it was a big help!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Blew my budget all to heck, but...what the hell. It's only money!

Comment

I bought HP PCs from here.
                              www.ecost.com and www.pcmall.com

Comment

I have a HP, 2 Dells, MICRON, and a built one. Micron is worth checking out, next time.
                                ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                                X