May buy a new 'puter soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May buy a new \'puter soon...

Sounds like the speakers put you over the budget Chuck...

Oh, you can't take it ($$$) with you bro. Enjoy and let us know when it arrives and how you like it...

That was certainly a killer deal IMO.

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      my PC:
      http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eMach...oductDetail.do

I bought it on sale with the 17" monitor bundled in for the same price as one without it, so check your local paper. It has good hardware, but the biggest complaint is that it comes factory-installed with a ton of spyware that needs to be cleaned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks like a good deal to me. I am certainly happy with my eMachines laptop. I would definitely go for the LCD display - I will never buy another CRT again.

Regarding the factory installed spyware, that is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. Did you contact eMachines about it? Mine didn't have anything to obnoxious preinstalled other than a bad anti-virus package.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I contacted E-machines about it, twice actually. They didn't respond.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

How do you like AMD's? I know, it's the old Ford/Chevy thing, but I've never used one for anything more than surfing the web, email, etc and it's been 6 yrs or longer.

What'd that setup cost you, if you don't mind? Where'd you get the parts, etc? ( Just asking for Chuck, basically )

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had no problems with AMD so far. My first computer was an Intel i386, and then I got a Pentium 200MMX, and then a Celeron 366. All my cpu's since then have been AMD (two XP's and now the AMD64). They have all worked great, both the Intel's and AMD's, so I cant make a fair judgment. Some years ago, AMD had way better bang for the bucks ratio compared with Intel, but I guess the situation has evened out a lot since then.

I were going to buy a third XP at first, but the s754 AMD64 was priced about the same, and scored better in all the tests I came across. I would have to buy a new MB anyhow, so I went for the AMD64. It will probably be old fashioned when the 64-bit technology is common, but that is life I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Where I bought my stuff would be off no help to Chuckracer, since I live in Sweden and bought from a Swedish company. I guess things are abit more expensive here (as usual [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]) but I paid approx $1000 (even more with todays $ value) for CPU, MB, 1gig RAM, 200gb SATA, CDRW + other stuff like cooling fans, sound isolation and PSU). I kept my old chassis and monitor.

I agree that Mac's really shine through in some areas. They kick ass at desktop applications and musical/graphical software (although I do not believe the crap about Mac being 98% faster in Photoshop). The design is also nice (even though it comes with an hefty pricetag).

I mostly use my computer for programming, web developing, watching movies and surfing, so I have no need for a Mac right now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I agree that Mac's really shine through in some areas. They kick ass at desktop applications and musical/graphical software (although I do not believe the crap about Mac being 98% faster in Photoshop). The design is also nice (even though it comes with an hefty pricetag).

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw those test results on Apple.com as well, I'd like to know how they got to that conclusion, it's a pretty big diffference... Those are certainly hard to believe, no doubt...

As soon as I get PS for Mac all together, I'll do soem testing and let you guys know what I find...

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw those test results on Apple.com as well, I'd like to know how they got to that conclusion, it's a pretty big diffference... Those are certainly hard to believe, no doubt...

As soon as I get PS for Mac all together, I'll do soem testing and let you guys know what I find...

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those "tests" has gotten Apple into alot of trouble. I have heard of several big magazines who have forced them to reformulate, or else they would not publice them at all before they can back them up. Same with the Dual G5 being "the worlds fastest computer" or what they say. I like Mac, but they put way to much energy into trying to get accepted.

Yeah, I would love to know what your testing comes up with. I dont know many people who owns both a good PC and a good MAC. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good PC, and Good MAC are both oxymorons...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Good PC, and Good MAC are both oxymorons...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X