Being in a bad band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being in a bad band

Currently I play in a band I do not like. I do it though, because we're playing out.

I don't like how the singer sounds, and I think we are terrible. My buddies at work tell me, that I should stay in because I'm getting exposure, and another band will pick me up.

So far, out of about 12 shows, everytime I'm done, I get wonderful compliments on my playing, so I guess it's working. However, I can't help but think playing in this band is hurting my reputation.

What are your thoughts"?

Re: Being in a bad band

If the band is so bad, how are you getting shows?

I would say that if you can put up with it, why not stick it out until something better comes along.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

We've never been booed, people haven't left or anything. Personally, we could be doing things a lot better. The singer sucks donkey assholes.

Somehow there is a local music magazine that does reports on bands all over the state, and the one guy who does reviews gives us good reviews all the time. It's nuts.

Comment

You must be doing something right. If Your band is as bad as you say, then you wouldn't be so well received. What type of band is it? I'd say stick with it because You are getting to play out and get paid which is farther than most people ever get.

Comment

why not get a new singer?
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'd stick with it until you find something better. If you just quit because you think the band sucks, then you're the prima donna who torpedoed a gigging band that everyone liked. If you stick it out til you find something better, then you're the local hero who went on to better things.

Maybe you just personally dislike the singer?
            Is his singing bad, or his showmanship? Some singers can't sing but if they have stage prescence audiences still love 'em; that can be irritating to a perfectionist guitarist, but that's the way it can be. It's the same as with classically-trained music professors who make minimal college salaries while 18 year old punks who know 3 chords become millionaires. Skill level and popularity don't always go together in music, and often go in opposite directions.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Around this time last year I left my band because I was pissed at what I thought was the other members not pulling their weight. I am not in my twenties anymore and am obsessed with a bands "Overall" sound and tightness .
              Looking back , I would have stuck it out as I did enjoy a lot of what we were doing.
              Guess what , I haven't been able to join or form a band since !! [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Stick with it.

Comment

Quit and start from scratch..

why do something your not happy with..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

See I am with Bill on this but that is just me... I ahve to do something I am proud of personally not somethng I hate. I don't depend on music though for any income at all so that is all a subjective viewpoint I spew
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Is it that your band sucks, or are you just overly-critical of yourself? I always think I suck when I play, but people who are not guitar players are totally amazed by it. If the crowd is having a good time, and you are getting gigs, and good reviews, your band ids doing just fine. When I go out to a bar to see a band, I am not checking for the tightness of the bassist and drummer, and if the singer is off key a little bit. I'm going to yell and scream and drink beer and have fun. If you are in a band, and not having fun, then maybe you don't need to be in a band at all. Become a studio musician or solo instrumentalist. If you enjoy going out in front of a crowd of 5 or 5000 people and making a few bucks to play your guitar, then stick with it.

Comment

I've been in bad bands, but I stuck around purely to gain experience. I learned a lot about what NOT to do, which I guess has been helpful in my current band. Still, I can't help but feel that I wasted a lot of time going nowhere when I could have been doing something else. I'm 29 now, started playing when I was 14, and haven't been gigging a year yet. Lots of wasted time in there, in worthless bands.

If there isn't much of a music scene where you are, stick with your current band if you personally enjoy playing...but if the band is ruining your interest in playing, it's time to move on.
                        sigpic

Comment

Stick with it until something better comes along. You're getting shows, and a good reputation. Sometimes, to get where you really want to be, you have to do things you hate. It's okay. But ultimately, it's up to you.

Comment

stick with them AND try to form your own on the side. hell, take some of the better players in your current band with you if they can handle it. that way its a mutual thing (at least between a few of you)
                            you're helping them by not quitting and they're helping you buy forming another band of YOUR own where you can be proud of what your doing.

this will help the scene in your area grow even bigger and yall can even play shows together.

i know, i've done it around here as well as many others. my lead guitarist and i helped a friend start his band and recorded a demo with him and then told him to find other members to play it live. he did and now they are going strong since we got him off the ground and going.

another band around here lent half there members to another band and now both are going strong. they share a practice space so it cuts down on everybodies cost and everyone's happy.

this will not only help the scene but help biuld your status as a major player in the area. before you know it, you'll have your pick of the lot of players in the area.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

It takes a good six months to a year to form a completely new band with new material, for everyone to get the same "feel" for the music, and get tight enough to play shows.

If you like playing shows, stick with it, because unless you're really lucky, you won't just find a spot in another band and be able to play shows off the bat.

Nothing is harder than putting together a band and trying to find compatible members who won't flake out in some way... not paying studio rent, not showing up to all the practices, or whatever....
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X