Being in a bad band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Being in a bad band

Okay, we play all sorts of music, everything from STP to Poison. I don't personally dislike either of the other people (we're a 3 piece). The singer just sucks. He also plays bass too, and he's not too good at that.

I don't know, maybe I'm just letting personal feelings get in the way of things. Most of you know I've had a friend die, and him and I played music together. It's just not been the same in any band since.

Now, what I'm doing, and I should have mentioned is, I've got 6 solid, good originals that are complete, that I did with my friend. I've got another 5 that are damn near complete, and one that is just a step behind that. 12 Originals, that are all pretty solid music pieces if you ask me, and I've heard it from some other people.

I'm doing the unthinkable, tuning down...but only because we're not running with a bass player, it's going to be, 2 guitar players, tuned to D standard (Think Motley Crue), a Drummer, and a singer. The originals, all had bass at one point, but the bassist is in Korea, on his way to Iraq to fight some terrorists. I've heard the set up I'm talking about (2 guitars, tuned to D), because I did it at sound check one night. Sounds thumpin, and we can get away without a bassist.

All of that said. I'm going to finish these other originals, and teach the other guitar player, all of it. The drummer I'm working with *(who's not in the band I'm playing in that sucks now) already knows them.

The plan is to open for the band I think sucks, with the band I'm making, play in both, get the contacts and stuff, and then break off on my own.

How does it sound to you? I know a 12 song original set is ballsy, but for an opener, I think I can get away with it. IN the meantime I learn covers with this band, and we then play covers and originals when we start doing it on our own.

What do you think?

Something else I've heard from people is, "you're awesome, you're singer needs work", I mean just crap like that (meaning band that sucks).

I just don't want to tarnish my rep as a good musician. I'm not the best, but I know my stuff pretty good.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Currently I play in a band I do not like. I do it though, because we're playing out.

I don't like how the singer sounds, and I think we are terrible. My buddies at work tell me, that I should stay in because I'm getting exposure, and another band will pick me up.

So far, out of about 12 shows, everytime I'm done, I get wonderful compliments on my playing, so I guess it's working. However, I can't help but think playing in this band is hurting my reputation.

What are your thoughts"?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what's it like being in Metallica?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The plan is to open for the band I think sucks, with the band I'm making, play in both, get the contacts and stuff, and then break off on my own.... I know a 12 song original set is ballsy, but for an opener, I think I can get away with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

12 song set for the OPENER?! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          How long are the songs? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If they're 2 minutes each, you're golden! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

dude.. been there!

in fact the ONLY bands I have been in basically sucked, primarily due to AWFUL AWFUL singing.

Unfortunately you can be amazing as can be at your instrument, but if your singer sucks, you're not gonna get anywhere... Nobody can get past a bad singer. Sad but that's how it is.

For me it came to what I was doing it for. Basically a band for me was my "bowling night". A few nights a week to go out, drink beer, smoke, ..., and play music. As an added bonus sometimes you got to play out and even make a couple of $$$ (or at least earn free drinks). So even though I was eternally dissatisfied with the quality of singing in the bands I was in... hey, I was still happy. To be fair, I wasn't the greatest guitar player either!

I have some recordings to demonstrate... click here to download some tracks from a practice we recorded. I really liked the songwriting actually, but man....it just wasn't quite working!

Comment

why do something your not happy with ..

If someone doesn't have his "heart" in something and is just goin' thru the motions ...you won't be at your best ...you won't be on yer game ...there will be growing tension amoung members and things will even tumble into much more stagnant territory..

so again, why bother..
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The ONLY reason I'm doing it now, is for my other band to open for us. That's the only rationality I have, and like you say Horns, if I don't like it, why do it. That's where I'm at.

Race, the songs are anywhere from 3-5 mins, and the whole set takes a little under an hour. There is one thing that I can't really say is a song, it's something I'm going to open the set, in the middle play it while the band is being introduced, and once again at the end to close it. The music was never written as a concept album or anything, but all of these songs when I play them have something in common (other than the obvious), but I'm playing them for the memory of my friend. I didn't finish all with him, but about 1/2 were finished with him, and the rest were just started.

This band I'm in now has opened for a few bands, and we usually open for 45 mins to an hour and 15 mins. So it looks like I'll be able to do it. I mean hell we've usually shared time with people from 10PM-130AM. We'd play from say 10/1015-1115, then they'd play all night after that, or vice versa, we'd be the headers, and they would open.

Do you think it's a bad idea to do an all original set? All the bands I'm talking to around here, and A LOT of the people are saying it would be a great thing, but when I do it on my own (no longer opening, main staging it) I'll have to add covers to the list, because even the really good bands around here don't do all originals.

Comment

Well maybe you can market it as a concept show, dedicated to the memory of "---". Ya know, FIRST PERFORMANCE! of this SPECIAL MEMORIAL SHOW!, etc etc.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X