Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you pack stuff "like a tank" for shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you pack stuff \"like a tank\" for shippi

An M1 Abrams weighs 70 tons. If you pack a guitar to the point that you have a total weigh of 70 tons, it will be safe. And the box will be the size of a bank.

Comment

And it can be delivered to your door by the M1 Abrams tank.
      I'm just guessing.
      That would be very cool. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Only reason I don't use styrofoam packing peanuts is because they're not biodegradable. At least with newspaper, the person can throw them in the recycle bin.

Okay, nature boy <slash> utter cheapass has learned much in this topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some that are water soluble. I got a guitar packed in them. I just turned the water on in the shower and threw them in the tub. Gone in about 10 minutes.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

NO WAY!
          Some of those things are water soluble? How can you tell?
          I'll throw all of mine in the tub tomorrow, but with my luck I'll end up with a sorry mess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I recently sold a 79 Ford Pinto on eBaY. I shipped it inside a 55 Chevy Bel Air filled with peanuts....the guy was very pleased with my packing job. Oh yeah, the Pinto arrived undamaged!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              NO WAY!
              Some of those things are water soluble? How can you tell?
              I'll throw all of mine in the tub tomorrow, but with my luck I'll end up with a sorry mess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to first test them by holding one in your mouth [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, wet a few of them, silly [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

If the ones you have are not water soluble, try warm water, Borax, and Surf laundry deterrent [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you've got sensitive documents you need to dispose of permanently, such that the FBI can't piece them back together and build a case against you, that solution is far better than shredding, burning, and eating combined. I should know - I lost a $450 paycheck that way once. Once. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As for packing a guitar for safe travel (like a tank), sounds like you're doing everything right except the hole for the handle. Wrap a bunch of tape around the middle of the box. That works great for a handle. Also, if you make an address label out of a sheet of printer paper written with a black Sharpie, and tape it completely (clear tape [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]) to the top face of the box near the headstock end, they'll not only know which end is Up, but also what's the front.

Don't worry about public comments on your packaging - some people give it, some don't (unless it's completely whack, in which case they can't wait to tell everyone how whack it was) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've shipped stuff padded and packed in cases and boxes with peanutz and foam and newspaper, and I've shipped stuff in the case wrapped in shipping paper and string tape with nary a problem (the legendary Pedulla to Tokyo saga).

JCF01 and 02 came to me the same way - in the case wrapped in bubblewrap, in a box. My DK2 HRF came in a case with no bubble wrap, in a box with no padding. Neither had an issue.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Only reason I don't use styrofoam packing peanuts is because they're not biodegradable. At least with newspaper, the person can throw them in the recycle bin.Okay, nature boy <slash> utter cheapass has learned much in this topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]No, but they ARE reusable. I've saved every styrofoam peanut that ever came my way, knowing one day I'd be sending something out and need them to protect it. Same with the bubble wrap. Also newspaper's a lot heavier and a bit less relibale as packing protection, so you save money on shipping and reduce the chance of damage by using the correct stuff.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    Only reason I don't use styrofoam packing peanuts is because they're not biodegradable. At least with newspaper, the person can throw them in the recycle bin.Okay, nature boy <slash> utter cheapass has learned much in this topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]There are some that are water soluble. I got a guitar packed in them. I just turned the water on in the shower and threw them in the tub. Gone in about 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]Just curious; any incident of "ring around the ankle" afterward? In the plumbing business I learned that manufacturer's instructions often don't cover real-world issues - tampons are a big example. Sure, you CAN flushthem, but they can ALSO clog the toilet and/or sewer main. Think of the design objective - to stop fluid fromgoing down a passageway to the exit point! If they hag up on a fitting by that litte string, they will swell up until they block the whole way, or until they catch enough of their compatriots to do it.So I wonder if your shower has a lining of styrofoam peanut residue now?And another thing! Those little colored deodorants/cleaners you put in your toilet tank? They also coat the moving parts, eventually causing the toilet to spill water at a gallon a minute, which siphons off down the drain as a preventive measure to keep the toilet from backing up. 1 gpm = 60gph, 1,440 gpd, or 43,200 gallons per month! Wonder why your water bill's high? Now THAT, my friends, is a true threadjack! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Not that I noticed. They just dissolved, no residue left.

I live in an apartment, I don't worry about paying water or plumbers.
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

If your drain didn't start running slowly then they probably dissolved completely. You'd probably notice if the shower was draining slow. I know the tenant situation, but bear in mind if a tenant does something that necessitates an expensive repair, the landlord CAN go back to the tenant to recover the cost.
                        The landlord is responsible for maintenence, but not negligence by the tenant. When we found tampons imn the sewer, for example, we'd nopte a warning on the invoice, which owners would present to the tenant. Next time, the tenant would be liable for the bill, and I do know landlords who've prevailed in small claims court when the tenant ignored such warnings.

I'm a renter too, but have seen it from the perspective of owner, tenant and contractor and just because you're a tenant doesn't give you complete carte blanche. Not trying to give you a hard time, but I spent nearly 20 years watching that kind of wrangling play out.

And DON'T buy a condo!! Nightmare of nightmares, you'll fight with your neighbors forever over what problems are association responsibility and what are the individual unit owner's. Ugly schite hapens there...
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

just call chucksplatter, i broke my arm just trying to open one of his letters. i sent the letter to a local welder, but he has had no luck either. if you want it packed right, call him. you won't be able to open it, but it will be packed as right as the rain.
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Re: How do you pack stuff \"like a tank\" for shipping?

For guitar shipment, I don't win any award. I wrap up all the parts in the case in bubble wrap. I put bubble wrap around the entire case. I put the case in a garbage bag. Put that in a box, tape all edges of the box.

For other items, I make sure I've got 2-3 inches of packing on all ends. For a Boss pedel, I would just wrap it with about 1 inch of bubble wrap, toss it in a bag. Put the bag in a box, tape all edges of the box.

CD's and all other media, stack, place cardboard around all edges (to prevent sliding),place in bag, wrap in bubble wrap, place whatever you want in the box, peanuts, newspaper, old issues of Maxim and FHM, seal up, ready to go.

Comment

Re: How do you pack stuff \"like a tank\" for shipping?

Newc, that tape handle thing is a great idea! Unfortunately, I have no more guitars to sell/ship out to try it on... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Next time though! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Great advice on the packing related topic and the stuff not relating to packing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X