Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you pack stuff "like a tank" for shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pack stuff "like a tank" for shipping?

I've recently sold off most of my gear lately, along with a few items on Ebay, but I've never been complimented for my packing job even though all items arrived at their destinations unscathed. Then I go and read the Feedback sub-forum here and everybody is getting complimented on their packing job "worthy of Fort Knox", "like a tank", "impossible to open", stuff like that (paraphrased of course). You know, those fantastic impressions that I've never once received.

So what am I doing wrong? Wanna share more packing tips with me? I wanna know that my stuff arrives to their new owners perfectly as always but not just barely escaping the Courier Apes by a thread. What is it about your packed gear that people praise you for?

Or maybe I'm just fishing for compliments. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Boo hoo hoo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: How do you pack stuff \"like a tank\" for shipping?

Assume these things:

1) The goons will drop it off the back of the truck onto the asphalt;
    2) They will not see that they dropped it, and will back the truck over it;
    3) Once they realize what it is they backed over and they throw it in the truck, they will pile a small shipment of anvils on top of it;
    4) They will leave it, in the rain, on the doorstep of the receiver.

If you pack your shipment so it will survive the scenarios described above, the praise will come rolling in.

Observe my feedback:
    AlexL's Feedback

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Well, when I complimented Firebird V, he put an already tough pedal - Boss, wrapped in extremeley packed newspaper, on styrofoam peanuts, and then taped the firs set of flaps to the box repeatedly, then closed the flaps, taped them shut, then put notebook paper around the seams, and sealed the perimeter with packing tape. FOR A $30 PEDAL for goodeness sake!!
      I seem to think I do a pretty good job packing, but I think you have to go that extra 10 miles to get compliments. I never get complements or complaints either, but I'd like to get the opinions of how to ship gig bagged guitars properly

Of course that extra 10 miles may classify you as having OCD [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Definitely talk to Bloodsplatter.
        Tape is key, man, tape is key. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

<font color="yellow">Tom Diamond is no joke either with packing stuff [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

The Min-Pin got bored and trotted off after a few minutes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

The grey form fitting styrofoam packing around an amp. Then I reinforce with heavy duty cardboard put in a box. Then I fill all loose space with packing peanuts. Tape box close. Then I use straping to really lock down the box. Never got a compliment but I know it was a good packing job
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Alright, here, I'll give an example. The same procedure went into packing the three guitars I sold to JCFers, all arrived perfectly fine.

-Hardshell case. If the guitar was able to move around in the case, I scrunched up pages of newspaper to stuff in the roomy areas, paying particular attention to supporting the neck and headstock so that they wouldn't touch the inside of the case. Basically the guitar is floating there surrounded by crumpled up newspaper inside a hardshell case.

-Case goes into a thick cardboard box that originally had another guitar in it from the store, so I know that these boxes are designed to ship a guitar caseless! So, I put the case into the box, stuffing in scrunched up newspaper until the case is supported inside the box, much like how the guitar is supported by newpaper inside the case.

-Cut a rectangular hole in the area of the box where the handle goes through so the Yard Apes can hold onto it and know which side is UP.

-Tape everything shut. I then try shifting the case around to make sure there's no movement. There's none. Then I bring the package to FedEx, and the happy buyer receives the guitar safely a few days later.

Okay, so I'm not going overboard (ten extra miles). But at least tell me I'm doing somewhat of a decent job packing my guitars for shipment. I spent up to three hours one afternoon packing one of them. I guess the guitar arriving at the destination in one piece is reward enough so I don't want to be ungrateful and seem like I'm fishing for compliments again. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Boo hoo hoo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">Hey, NOTP.....just because I'm the upstanding JCF member that I am bro...how bout' this....send me your Shannon and do your best packing job, and when it gets here, I'll evaluate the packing job and do a follow up in the folder.

Hell....your an OK guy...I'll even invite Chuck Splatter down for the weekend and he'll do a complimentary critique also, plus probably throw in a roll of tape.

How's that sound [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

**LPC RUNS FOR COVER [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]** </font>

Comment

I would say that is a killer packing job, Priest!
                  My new JJ2 certainly didn't come like that. I was mortified. It was in its case (no special packing done around the guitar in the case), thrown into a cardboard box. The thing was beat to hell and back.
                  Thank goodness everything was fine!
                  Last time I buy a guitar from someone I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                  (and this came from a dealer even- his own store).

So here- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Great job!

Em

Comment

Unfortunately, if I do ship the Shannon, there wouldn't be scrunched up newspaper inside the case because the case is already molded for the guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ergo, I would feel like I am cheating on my packing job... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, if you're shipping a Tank, I'd say piece by piece. This way it won't break the back of the UPS guy carrying it to the door. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: How do you pack stuff \"like a tank\" for shippi

[ QUOTE ]
                        It was in its case (no special packing done around the guitar in the case), thrown into a cardboard box.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] That's how I've received every guitar I've ever purchased, new or used. My GMW came like that as well as Several from music stores and any forum members I've ever bought from. The only exception has been one forum member who put the crumpled up newspaper outside the case, but inside the box to keep the non rectangular case from slipping around. I dont think it really matters how much tape and paper is on it. If the UPS/USPS goons drop it that far or stick it with a Hyster or something, it's still screwed. I'd say as long as the case is a good fit, and it's in a box that's got adequate tape to keep it from flopping open, and the case isn't slipping around in said box, you're as good as you're going to get. Anything else is just for show unless you're putting it in a special reinforced road case or something. My opinion of course which doesn't really mean anything [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

Priest, bear in mind that guitars that ship from the factory in that rectangular box are inside a second box which has styrofoam inserts to hold the neck and body in place. Jackson didn't just toss that DK-2 into the box to flop around.Newspaper works fine, but since it's an at-hand material and not specific packing materials, people will not likely compliment you for packing this way. ALso, newspaper CAN settle during transit and a guitar that wasn't moving within the box in ew York can be moving when it reaches California. Styrofoam peanuts, foam shrouds for the guitar to protect it from scratching, and bubble wrap, those will get you compliments. BTW, don't know if this is just paranoia, but I don't know if crumpled newspaper pressed directly against the guitar might cause scratches or scuffs. Don't know that it would, just don't know either way.Generally, if they can tell you just spent $25on a box and packing materials, and used them generously, that'll get you the Packing Award!As for cutting handholds on the box, that can also mean something for the box to hang up on as it moves through Apeland, so I don't know if that's a good idea. It's not that hard to hold the box with a guitar in it anyway. I'd say you packed the guitars reasonably wellthough, except I'd want the foam shroud instead of newspaper directly on the guitar. Still, scuffs or scratches beat a broken neck any day!
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Only reason I don't use styrofoam packing peanuts is because they're not biodegradable. At least with newspaper, the person can throw them in the recycle bin.

Okay, nature boy &lt;slash&gt; utter cheapass has learned much in this topic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Priest,

If I ever send you anything I will be sure to include LOTS of packing peanuts. HAHAHAHA!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I have so many of those stupid sticky fukkers. My Mother sends them to me in her funny packages. I have TONS.
                              I should open my own packaging shop right out of my garage. I could probably make enough to buy something really spiffy.

Em

Comment

Working...
                              X