Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Lee Roth Career Change - Paramedic in NYC?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Lee Roth Career Change - Paramedic in NY

Lerx, I get your points and appreciate what you are saying. Howvever, Ed is an addict - he has a disease. This illness is not new to Eddie, he has been fighting alcoholism and addiction since the late 70's. Maybe he's weak willed in that he can't overcome, but he may also be an insecure guy who relies on these things to cope with the pressure of his musical reputation?

I know for me, the pressure of being a sexy love god is almost too much to bear sometimes and I must smoke a medicinal doobie to get me level. I have empathy for poor old Ed.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Tommy how is training going?

Jimmy - Ed's attitude doesn't dictate he needs much sympathy though. My Sister has been a horrible alcoholic going on 30 years now and her attitude is why she is horrible not because the illness. Having empathy for Ed is fine but his character of giving him a break isn't by me. Aside AVH who close to him has great things to say about him?
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

i'm in training ya know? yes TETS, my soupbone is in great shape, i'm up to about 84 m.p.h. with the fastball. i should hit the high 80's by spring training and then get rocked by the cardinal batters like a red headed stepchild and then be cut with all the other scrubs. my beanball is exceptionally good.

i just think eddie's playing lost all of it's fire when roth left. i can't bag on him because he was and is still one of my heroes. and for me to bag on him for any drug abuse or drinking, gadzooks!! talk about the pot and the fukkin' kettle. they can't piss test me anymore because my piss burns through the cup, then the carpet, and then all the way to china-lol
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

With roth Van halen was a kick ass band, with Sammy, they turned into a pop metal band. It killed it for me, I never bought a VH album after Roth left. They just have such a completely different vide without Roth.
          I agree with Tetsuo attitude can fix a lot of things, ( or make them worse). As far as what he's like personally, I'll never meet him so I don't really care, I just miss the kickass rock that they used to put out when roth was in the picture. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Tommy, good luck with that stuff man. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Tetsuo, dude this is fun. Ya see, I love EVH - I really do. Since 1978 when I was a young 8 year old punk, Ed has been my hero and I just can't justify bagging on him for anything. As for his personality - he's a rock star man. It is his obligation to society to be a dik...we expect it of him.
            You asked a question regarding who may have good things to say about Ed; I would assume his family only. But isn't that whose opinion really matters? I'm sure he's really feeling good right now because I'm watching his back on the JCF. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Thanks for the dialogue, Tets. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I hear where you are coming from in the fact that he has been crystalized in your mind as the man he was. I respect you can be empathetic for too. for me personally I have been screwed over by too many people who let their addictions get in the way emotional and physical scars. Now that is the personal level and I totally can see where you are coming from.

On a band level though I look at it like this.. Guns and Roses. The original lineup is great... Fantastic. Replace Steven Adler for Matt Sorum (well I like Matt) no real p[roblem it was an upgrade and chemistry was still there. Now I am a huge Slash fan and not so much on Axl. Slash without Axl is alright but it isn't GnR. Axl without Slash was a pretty big joke (but I love Buckethead) maybe the greatest parody since spinal tap. Slash with good bandmates has done Velvet Revolver and it is so so. That is kinda to me what Van Halen is like without Roth.

Comment

well TETS, i see it this way-

if AXL was stuck in a barrel of tits, he'd come out sucking his thumb. that primadonna ruined guns. and i am a big fan of slash myself. but without the prima donna, it just does not compare. just like the vh situation.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself one thing that gets me about the Velvet Revolver stuff is that most of Slash's riffs are stolen from his snakepit stuff... I guess he figured no one heard those discs anyway so he could just reuse them. I actually like the first Snakepit disc better than the VR stuff although the lyrics are so terrible

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Lerx, I get your points and appreciate what you are saying. Howvever, Ed is an addict - he has a disease. This illness is not new to Eddie, he has been fighting alcoholism and addiction since the late 70's. Maybe he's weak willed in that he can't overcome, but he may also be an insecure guy who relies on these things to cope with the pressure of his musical reputation? I know for me, the pressure of being a sexy love god is almost too much to bear sometimes and I must smoke a medicinal doobie to get me level. I have empathy for poor old Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]I feel for you, man! The love god thing is a heavy load - literally! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]I can have empathy, but then again I am an addict too. I LOVE weed, cocaine, and meth - fukkin' LOVE 'em! However when I realized that in particular the coke and meth were killing me, I quit. No program, no NA, just stopped doing them in 1989. My circumstances have been and are that I have a lot more reason to escape than Ed sitting in his platinum palace atop the hill. If MY miserable ass can clean up, and I close my eyes and think lovingly about the schit every day, 15 years after the last line I snorted, then Ed with the support he had from his wife for 20 years should have been able to cope. Now the weed I didn't quit til 1996, and I do backslide several times a year on that, but I basically leave it alone since I have congestive heart failure, which is a heart-lung tie-in problem. No sense pushing it.I have empathy, but at the same time I think of how those who care for him, especially his kid Wolfie, suffer because he CHOOSES to SAY he's too weak to fight the addiction. His dad died an alkie and he figures that's good enough for him, but he's fukking over his son and that's the main reason my sympathy isn't that strong. Suck it up for your son, don't teach him to be a lush like you, Ed.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Couldn't have said it better myself one thing that gets me about the Velvet Revolver stuff is that most of Slash's riffs are stolen from his snakepit stuff... I guess he figured no one heard those discs anyway so he could just reuse them. I actually like the first Snakepit disc better than the VR stuff although the lyrics are so terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you steal licks from yourself?

See I feel differnt. The thing I always hated about GnR was Axl. I dig the solo records and Vr more than GNR. Other than the first album to me GNR was inconsistent. I hate Axl's vocal's. I thought Scott and Slash are the perfect mix Scott's a good front man.

The reason I am not into Eddie has nothing to with what he put's in his body. I could care less what someone likes to put in them; not much i haven't done a lot of. But I am old and mellow and no longer like to beat the **** out of myself. I don't like the music as a whole without Roth. I am not into his playing anymore, plus he is a greedy ass. The **** with him shutting down home made 5150 paint jobs non ebay is just a little to much. But now we no why, to make his custom charvels worth more cash. Good for him for making money of his paint jobs(really), but no reason to shut down fans that painted there guitars and now want to sell them. He has nothing I want and contains nothing I want to be. I could care if he ever puts out another album, there is plenty of music out there without him. He has his place and its in history.

Comment

Strange, but I can only think of 1 band that was worth a crap once the lead singer was replaced, and that is AC/DC. I'm sure there are more, but I'm drawing a blank. Not too many solo stuff is worth a crap either.
                        ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I dunno, when Yngwie picked up Joe Lynn Turner, I thought he did himself a favor.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Iron Maiden comes to mind - Bruce Dickinson is great!
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Well, let's see.... Rob Halford is not the original singer for Judas Priest, Ian Gillan is not the original singer for Deep Purple, James LaBrie is not the original singer for Dream Theater, Joey Belladonna is not the original singer for Anthrax. All these bands, like Maiden, made their major marks after replacing the original singers in the bands.
                              I'm sure I forgot some, but if I remember while the thread's still current I'll add them in.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Priest, Purple, and Anthrax (not familiar with Dream Theater), were able to avoid being affected like VH when replacing original vocalists in terms of musical quality / shows. (Halford & Gillan would be on my short list of the best of all time greats).

I believe the difference is the above mentioned bands never had a rare original vocalist / strong persona type frontman who reeked of energy, charisma, and extroverted peronality like DLR. His humor, attitude, wit, etc. was clearly what set him apart. Other bands have benefited from "evolving" with a different frontman - but VH was never a canidate for this possiblity. Ed & Al are still clueless and in serious denial to this day.

Comment

Working...
                                X