Cordless Drills What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drills What to buy?

OKay, I've got a workshop in my garage, it's just starting up though. I've mainly got a small array of tools, for guitar repairs. Let's face it, NOTHING I do guitar-wise will require an 18 volt drill or something of that nature.

So I've only ever had a small 9.6V drill, and a small cordless screwdriver. My power tools, I've just got a circular saw, a table saw, and that about sums it up. For all other tools, I've got about a bazillion, from every imaginiable socket size to rebuild the motors of the cars I've owned, down to small files.

I've reached a point where the 9.6V drill WILL NOT do. I'm building a work table, and I have a feeling, it would die doing 3 inch screws into oak.

All of that said, I've been drill shopping. All my other tools, save my shitty drill are craftsman. I've never had a problem with any of them.

I've been looking, and I want an 18V cordless Drill. I don't want 14.4, I want 18. I look at these Dewalt drills, and the one I'm looking at is 260$.

I'm looking at this Craftsman deal, it's 80.99 for an 18V drill and a 5 1/2 trim saw combo....Why is this 180$ cheaper, and I get more with it?

I'm curious as to what your views are. I want to buy quality, but if the Craftsman will do the same damn thing that the Dewalt will, for 180$ cheaper, count me in.

What power tools do you stand by?

Re: Cordless Drills What to buy?

The latest Consumer Reports rates cordless tool sets of various voltages.

Comment

I've had both Dewalt's and Craftsman, the Dewalt's lasted a lot longer than any other I've had, now I've got 3 of them. They seem to have more power as well.

Get one of those bundles tho, for sure...

Pat

Comment

Black and Decker makes both, the Dewalts usual have slightly better clutches, chucks because they are "The Professional Line" but for home shop and home use the craftsman line I have found is fine. If you where going to be running screws and boring 3" holes all day long than go with the Dewalt. The other thing is at almost a third less if it only lasts half as long you can buy another and still be ahead of the game.
        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Dewalt is what I use in my shop at work. I build alot of custom skates, I have had my drill for 5-6 years (18v) not one promblem with it. I also have their small saw that works really well.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

The DeWalt is definitely of much higher quality; on the other hand if a Craftsman tool
            breaks, don't they still replace it no questions asked? They did that for many years and it was their big selling point.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Another one for DeWalt.
              I have, I think 3-4 of them. All 18 volt.
              I recommend that as a minimum.
              Also, not mentioned here, but the DeWalt, to me is the most comprehensive for controls and most ergonomic of all the cordless drills out there.. IMO-

Comment

I have an 18volt porter cable that has been been abused for 15 years by me and still kicks it out. I had to buy new batteries for it few times (plural, as I alternate packs).

DeWalts are very nice too.

Comment

I was just at lowes, and I'm between a Bosch and DeWalt package deal.

The Dewalt package comes with trim saw, recip saw, some light thing, and the hammer/drill. 2 Batteries, and charger. It is 449.

The Bosch Package comes with, Trim, Recip, light, hammer drill, jig saw, it also comes with 2 batteries. It has a 3 year warranty, and the batteries have an 18 month warranty. It is 489$

I like the Bosch package, because I don't have a Jig Saw and I would like one. I like the Dewalt package, because I've heard really good things about Dewalt. I've also been told that the Bosch stuff is super heavy duty.

Another possibility that was brought up to me was, buy the Craftsman 14.4, use it, because as a home owner, unless I'm doing contracting jobs, I don't need contractor grade tools.

The Dewalt users, how often do you use your drills, and what kind of hell do you put them through. I'm kind of worried about the small warranty, I don't want to buy a drill, then have it crap out on me.

One things for sure, if I spend 400+$ on tools, look to the classifieds for my JCM800 to be sold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

my Dewalt is used probably once a week, the batteries are not holding the original charge length after 5 years. I work as a construction manager in an industrial setting and alot of the contractors here use bosch tools.
                    "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Porter Cable and Bosch are right there with Dewalt in my opinion as well. I own various tools by both, just not drills.

As for the Craftsman return policy, there's some fine print when it comes to electronics, such as power tools, guages, etc.

I'd go with either package you're looking at, you won't be disappointed.

Pat

Comment

well warranty with the bosch and none with the dewalt.....horse a piece, its almost like comparing chevy and fords....dewalts are contractor grade but ive been using a black and decker firestorm 18v for going on 5 years now and it works great....i mainly use it for screws and the 3inch screws youre going to use it does just fine with. plus io think theyre only like $130 or something...
                        www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The DeWalt is definitely of much higher quality; on the other hand if a Craftsman tool
                          breaks, don't they still replace it no questions asked? They did that for many years and it was their big selling point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not power tools, only hand tools. I have had bad luck with craftsmen power tools, and Dewalt really stands behind their products. I broke my planer after 5 hard years, and they fixed it for $50.
                          If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

I think it's anything with moving parts power tool wise craftsman won't guarantee. My saw, floor jacks, all that crap, guaranteed 1 year.

I hear the DeWalt people stand behind their stuff, and I've not heard much on the Bosch stuff.

I'm probably going to buy the Bosch...the Jig Saw interests me. I'm going to look at a few more packages, and go from there/

Comment

I have DeWalt. Very good stuff indeed. I recommend them.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X