Cordless Drills What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cordless Drills What to buy?

check out the dewalts or other drills on ebay. So good deals there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...08594&rd=1
    I like this one.
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Deneb seems to have made up his mind on this, but I'll throw out another option.
      Panasonic is IMO leaps and bounds above all others in the cordless drill market.
      They make all other makers batteries and are always a generation ahead.
      I like the 15.6V for its power to weight ratio.
      They balance the best out of any drill I've used.
      The chucks are IMO the best on any drill.
      I don't like 18V drills. They don't balance well and are too heavy if you are using them all day.
      I work construction and I've pretty much used everything.
      I'd rate them this way.
      1 Panasonic
      2 Porter Cable
      3 Milwaukee - It's been a while since I've been at a shop that used these. We currently use the cordless sawzall though and they rule.
      4 Bosch (I hate their batteries)
      5 Dewalt (I've had bad luck with black and decker in the past, but many shops use these. Probably the most used in these parts)
      Ryobi is probably good enough for many people and I consider that stuff junk...
      http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sea...lter=panasonic

Comment

I ended up spending the 500$ on the DeWalt Cordless Drill pack.

I got an XRP Hammer Drill, 2 Batteries, a saw, a recip saw, a light, the charger. The batteries charge in an hour, and last longer. I also got a slip that I send in, and get a free tool. I'm getting the impact driver from Dewalt. It alone is 279$.

If you take my drill
        289, the drill I'm getting, 279, the extra battery (100),right there my kit paid for itself. a cordless recip saw, trim saw, light, and a hard case, just sealed the deal.

Look for my JCM 800 for sale in the classifieds within the next week.

Comment

When I worked construction, we always used DeWalt and Stanley, and Hilti because we had a deal with them going on for a while. My pops got a Bosch about a year ago and he digs that one too.

Comment

I use Milwaukee power tools exclusively in the shop- Sawzall, 1/2" drill, skill saw, 18W cordless drill, etc. The cordless drill and Sawzall, in particular, get tons of use and (I work on off road stuff as a hobby) I've never had a problem. I use Craftsman hand tools.

Comment

I've broken just about every name brand of cordless drill or reciprocating saw out there... Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Black & Decker...

All my power tools are Bosch unless I can't find something they make. My grinder, 14.4v and 24v cordless drills (the 24v comes with the cordless skill saw), saber saw, jig saw and router are all Bosch. I love them to death.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yeah, I've got 90 days to decide if I want to keep these, so if worst comes to worst, I may go to the Bosch tools. I heard they have awful battery life though.

Have you had this issue? For what I'm doing, it's not so heavy duty, I've thought about taking it back, and just buying that firestorm kit, I mean I'm not a contractor, I'm some ass with a house (as many of us are), and a few people made a few good points, my friend says, he can do all his home jobs on his craftsman 14.4V. If an issue comes up, he replaces it for practically nothing. They had a very nice hitachi kit, very similar to mine, just Hitachi, instead of Dewalt, and 300$ cheaper...adn too boot, they have a 4 year warranty.

A warranty is very important to me, because IF some can go wrong for me, IT FUKKIN WILL!

There's an adage though...you get what you pay for.

Comment

I was exactly in your position 7 months ago when we were starting remodeling one of our bathrooms from the studs on up. My buddy was pushing the DeWalt, and I looked and compared (like you) for hours. Finally the guy at Lowes (who could have easilly convinced me to go expensive) told me that unless I'm a contractor working this stuff everyday, and am worried about dropping it off a roof and still be working, just get the B&D Firestorm 18v set. He was right. The tools that came in that kit hammer drill, light, recip saw, 5 1/2" circular have all helped build the bathroom and did everything I needed them to do without spending $500. I think this set was $175? In my opinion, the Dewalt stuff IS great, but why spend the extra money when the Firestorm kit will do everything you need for much less - there the same company to boot!

Comment

I may do that, I mean, christ if I get it, and I do burn up the drill, that's just over 100$, where as if I burn up this DeWalt drill, it's 289$.

I think I may have went overboard with the purchase, so I'm more than likely going to stew it over for awhile, and actually see how much I use the stuff. If I don't use it very much, then, well that's the plan, get something that's not contractor grade.

Comment

Working...
                    X