Duncan JB fans - a question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan JB fans - a question:

For those who like the Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge of whatever guitar, what amp(s) are you using, and what level of gain are you using it with? Also, what are you tuning to with that pickup?

Please note: EMG and other such fans, please refrain from posting. That question may come later in another thread. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Duncan JB fans - a question:

Hmm. Maybe I better try in the Amps section?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well, you said JB fans and that leaves me out. Although perhaps I would be more apt to like it if I tried it with 250k pots. After all, supposedly it's the same as the Distortion with a different magnet.

Comment

I'm a HUGE JB fan. It really seems to be the best all around pickup I've ever heard. I think it would work well in high-gain situations, but really shines with a more mild overdrive, IMO. Its got more output than most people assume I think. I use the Engl Blackmore with gain on about 3, and the sound is very Megadeth using the JB.

Comment

I've only got one guitar in which the JB really sounds good...but it REALLY sounds good. It's a Dinky XL with a basswood body and Schaller Floyd. Oddly enough, in another basswood Dinky with a string-thru bridge, the JB sounds the way I unfortunately would expect -- muddy on the low E.

I use the Dinky XL as my backup live guitar, and at band practice using my live rig, which is an ART Xtreme and Boss digital delay into a Peavey Classic 50's clean channel.
          sigpic

Comment

Dood EMG's rool and Duncans drool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (j/k I hate EMG's with a passion)

Jackson Flattop bound Strat, Firebird mutt and one other Charvel Strat I believe.

I use them with Marshall 2203 with a Hot mod (gain at about 7), Mesa/Boogie DC-5 (gain at about 6-8), VHT Pittbull 50/CL (gain at about 3 o'clock), Bogner XTC 101B (gain around 3-5 o'clock).

I'm not a fan of super high output pickups I really don't change gain levels on the amps when I change guitars, I never have but I think that is because all of my bridge position pickups aren't supper high or super low. I have Super Distortions, Screaming Demons, Custom Custom, Distortion, Parallel Axis etc..
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I use a boogie with the gain on about 8. I tune to both E and Eb. It is my fav by far.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I was not a JB fan until I got my SD Charvel last year. It's the only one I play now. I had to completely redo my settings. I'm running it through an Xtreme Processor into my Crate G60 GT. Drive 7, Low 7, Mid 5, Freq 4, High 4 1/2, Output 4. Added in is a little Chorus, Delay and Reverb.
                Amp settings running into the clean channel Volume adjustable depends on mood, Low 5, Mid 4 1/2, High 4 1/2, Bright off, Depth for the amp reverb off. Set like this it in my den it sounds very similar to early Lynch Breaking the Chains sound. Tuned to E right now.

Comment

Engl Powerball with Gain at 12 o clock, sounds sweet.

Comment

I love JB.
                    I have been using them since 80's and used to put them in every guitar.
                    It sounds good with many different amps but my best choice would be something like Marshall w/tube screamer, SLO100 and 5150.

Comment

Newc,
                      I have JB and like them very much. I am using my MEsa Road king gain set on about 1:00 or 2:00 on chan 3 and 4. I am also using it with my rack from hell, but thats way complex to explain, but I will if you want. and I use it with my Mesa F30 gain on 1 or 2 oclock again on ch 2. I am using a Peterson virtual strobe tuner for tuning, and my pedal board has a Boss pedal tuner that I use for quick tuning also. IF you want more info on amp settings or whats the rack setup let me know and I will be glad to help. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I love JB because I can get just about any tone I want with any amp.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I like a JB in an alder body, maple neck rosewood board, and the guitar must have a vintage brass trem...4 of my stratheads are set up this way....
                          I dont care for a jb much with a floyd it can be a little brittle depending on the density of the body wood..
                          I have a JB in a custom one off explorer headstock'd hamer prototype that I had made for me in '85...
                          the Jb sounds good in it, very colorful but being mahogany its brittle and coupled with a floyd it always requires dumping the treble a bit.
                          In all cases I use the same rig that I've used since '84
                          '78 marshall 50 watt 2x12 combo with a matching 2x12 bottom
                          I like a master volume set up cause I can clean it up without f'n around with a footswitch, 2 channel amps have come along way , but one or the other channel always seems to suffer in my mind , not to mention the unbalanced volume changes..
                          in general I set my amp up this way for a higher gain;
                          preamp 8
                          master 5-6
                          treble 4-6
                          middle 5
                          bass 10
                          presence 2-3
                          I run a boss fa-1 preamp to kick it up a little.
                          it has a volume [5], bass [5], treble [4] and a flat/6db low cut switch.
                          there are no numbers on the preamp so difficult to give a numerical value so I ballparked it, I do leave the switch set to flat...
                          I have played through some nice boogies, engl, hiwatts, and am looking forward to buying a soldano... but I keep coming back to my old school rig... its pretty goof proof and simple to use. In the studio a little noisy but you take the good with the bad...
                          As for tuning I have some guitars set up to 440, some to 430, depending on the singers vocal range or effect desired... I am also into weird tunings...
                          I find the lower the tuning the less harmonic and less colorful the JB becomes. but thats to be expected with any pup.
                          john

Comment

I dont have alot of pickup experience but quite like the JB in my SL1. I currently just play thru a Boss GT-6 hooked up to some kinda cheap studio monitors. It's not very loud but is ok for an apt. and surprising doesnt sound too bad.
                            I would usually switch to the neck pickup or neck/middle for clean tones, but with the jb it sounds great for the cleans. The one thing I did question is it seems louder volume wise then the 2 single coils in the my SL1. Is this normal?

Comment

M-Naut - Yep, it's normal. The JB is as high output as the Distortion (16k I believe?) and most singles are about half of that, so volume differences are indeed normal.

Thanks for the replies so far, gang. I've said before that I don't like the JB in the bridge of anything, but I do like it in the neck. I also like the JB Jr single-spaced hum, but it somehow gets a very different sound than the full-sized hum. With the seemingly endless popularity of the JB, it seemed strange to me that everyone would love what I consider a crappy-sounding bridge pickup, and then I figured those who like it must be using the same (or very similar) amps.
                              Since I don't have a Marshall or other high-profile/tone-guru amp, I might be missing out on the JB's true potential.

Ok, question # 2:
                              What pickup(s) did you compare the JB to in the bridge of the same (or a closely similar) guitar that made you decide to switch to/stick with the JB?
                              In comparing the JBs I've had to the Distortions, Customs, Pearly Gates, 59s, and Screamin Demon I have/had, as well as a pair of Evolutions and the "big 3" EMGs (81/89/85), I found the JB to be somewhat "bleh" in tone - no real sparkle or life, just "there". Harmonics come out nice, and upper-register/plain-string notes are decently articulate and crisp, but wound-string single-note lines come out more grainy and raspy than I like.
                              Obviously individual tone preferences play a major factor, and I do try to keep a wide range of tones in my rack stuff for various covers - from Sabbath to Maiden to Priest to Metallica and Megadeth and such - as well as for my own stuff.
                              However, the more time I spend on my own stuff the less I like the JB FOR my stuff - it has not been able to produce the bridge pickup tone I want compared to the other pickups I do have, which really sounds crazy since the JB and Distortion are the same pickup except for the magnet, correct?

Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X