Bogus paypal emails....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogus paypal emails....

I know this subject has been touched on a time or two, but I just got this email from paypal and its starting to freak me out....

This email confirms that you have paid phonebuyer ([email protected]) $278.99 USD using PayPal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Payment Details

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
    8126628705 Myst III 1 $270. USD $270.00 USD

Shipping & Handling via USPS First Class Mail
    (includes any seller handling fees) $8.99 USD
    Shipping Insurance (not offered) : --

Total: $278.99 USD

If you did not authorize this payment or if you need assistance with
    your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/row/wf/f=payment-fraud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shipping Information: No shipping adress required

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team
    Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP120

Its so hard to tell now if something is real or not...I checked paypal and theres nothing in there saying I paid that amount for anything recently.....somebody calm my nerves PLEASE!!!

Mrs LPC

Re: Bogus paypal emails....

Where and how did you check PayPal???

Can you post the headers of that email from PayPal pls?

Pat

Comment

I reckon I can post it...but...what are headers exactly?? I went into paypal through their website and signed in and it doesnt have any transaction for that amount, its just freaking me out...

Mrs LPC

Comment

if you havent bought anything I wouldnt even respond.
        this is why I simply dont care for paypal.
        I signed up for it a few months back cause guys wanting to spend bigger money for guitars whined.
        since then Ive gotten all kinds of weird emails saying I made this or that transaction...I've never even use it...
        sure it can be convenient cause who the hell wants to run to the post office or convenience store for a money order.....
        but a cashless society is one I can live without, and have no problem running for a m.o., cause in the long run when/if this thing fully takes off, big brother will know every financial move you make and you'll pay taxes on all of it...... boycott paypal..
        whew ! I'm getting worked up here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        john

Comment

I got something similar . Forward it to [email protected] You should have an answer soon afterwards from ebay . Ebay owns Paypal now AFAIK ?
          Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

If you're using Outlook, just right click the message, select options and it will be right there, select all copy and paste here or PM them to me if you want, or not. Just thinking about the "no email posting rule" I think this can/would be an exception, the admin's will let us know if it's a bad thing I guess... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Might be a good thing to know/see for all tho.

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I got something similar . Forward it to [email protected] You should have an answer soon afterwards from ebay . Ebay owns Paypal now AFAIK ?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO! Don't forward the message. Depending on your e-mail program this can be a bad idea. There are several known ways to exploit e-mail forwarding in a few e-mail programs. The attackers count on you forwarding the e-mail to something like the Ebay/Paypal fraud notification service.

LPC - you have my contact info if you want some help.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If you forward or send the message in any way, make sure you are forwarding the message "source". In most email programs there is a way to view the message source - select "view source" from the right click menu or from the "view" menu. You will also want to include the message headers - sometimes they'll be part of what is shown in view source, sometimes there will be a separate option - depends on the program you are using.

- Newc

Comment

Legitimate "Problem with your account" emails from Ebay and PayPal will never include a link to your account or anything other than the main page, but even then those can be masked (like when someone turns the word "Link" into an Ebay listing link), so it's always best to go straight to the site from your own browser link/button/Favorites and login to your account and check the Messages inside your account. Both Ebay and PayPal can and will send you important messages both to your email and your account, so you see the message link inside your account.

If it doesn't show in your PayPal account, then nothing has happened. It's a trick to get you to click on their link, where you then have to enter your account name and password, and probably re-enter your CC or bank info, and then you get hit with a false 404 error or some other crap that masks the fact that you just sent them the keys to your money.

People that do that stuff should be classified as terrorists and hunted down the same way - shoot on sight.
                  Same with hackers and those dicks that make virii and trojans and worms - track 'em, offer huge rewards for ratting them out, and then shoot them on sight, no matter if they're 12 or 99 years old.
                  That'll send a message to stop fukking with O.P.P. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Damn John, you're not an Orwellian are ya? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                  On the subject of Big Brutha tracking your money, why do you think they put that metal strip in bills? Even an ATM card is dangerous. within 3 seconds of passing your card into the gas pump, your info has travelled across the country, into space to a satellite, back down to the other side of the world, and back to the gas pump before it says "Pump is ready".

Same with a dollar bill going into a Coke machine. That bill goes in and is scanned, tagged, recorded, broadcasted, verified, and logged by the time the machine says "Please make a selection".

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Didn't know that !! Thanks for the heads-up [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Another good thing to do is make sure you have an e-mail program that let's you view a message without downloading any of the referenced content in the message. The reason is that by doing so the sender has validated your account exists and is actively used.

Downloading a message is not risky all by itself - that is pushed out by the sender and ends up at your e-mail server no matter what. There is no good way for the sender to know if they reached a valid address or not because lots of services do not send return mail that the address doesn't exist.

Now if that message contains references to images in it, then your e-mail program will download the image to show you the full contents of the mail. This is the trick. Anyone that has posted pics or links to pics knows that every image has a unique name (URL). So what these dickheads do is they send you a message that has a reference that they can associate back to your email address. So the URL for the picture is effectively something like http://www.scumbag.com/scumbagpictur...e_12345678.jpg - in this case their web server will translate that into a request for the image somepicture.jpg and record that ID 12345678 is alive and kicking. And they have a database of email addresses that they have tried to use and have now put your email address in the "let's get 'em" list.

Of course, this is just one of many ways to screw with you. The best thing you can do is keep up to date with the latest releases of the software you use. ALL email programs and browsers have vulnerabilities. IOW, you are vulnerable.

- Newc

Comment

For Outlook Express, I recommend doing this:
                        Click "View", then "Layout...", then on the page that pops up, uncheck the box that says "Show Preview Pane", this way messages are not automatically opened when you highlight them.

One of the biggest gripes I have about Microsoft is that EVERY version of Outlook that comes with IE/Windows is set up to display the Preview Pane, KNOWING DAMN WELL that the experts on worms and virii say "Don't open the infected email, just delete it", and also knowing that you cannot select an email for deletion without it opening in the Preview Pane, thus launching the offending attachment you were told not to open.

The default setting for OE should ALWAYS be to NOT show the Preview Pane. If they had done that years ago, would these worms and such be able ot spread so quickly? I doubt it. At least not by that method.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wouldn't recommend Outlook at all.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ya, go with thunderbird e-mail, its really good.

www.mozilla.org

Comment

If you don't feel like forwarding an email to [email protected] or to PayPal, don't worry about it. Odds are by the time you open your email there are already 1000 others with the same email and someone has probably already forwarded t to the appropriate sourch. Ebay/PayPal will shut those sites quick.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X