Power metal recommendations for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power metal recommendations for me?

Alright, I'm currently going through a power metal phase and need more. Yes, I've read all of Bill's thread but his descriptions are single sentences long and not as descriptive as I would like.

I listened to Gamma Ray's "Blast From The Past" as my first power metal album almost four years ago but I don't remember much about it.

Then I slowly warmed up to Stratovarius and now I finally managed to download their incredible album "Infinite" which is worlds better than the other Stratovarius disc I own, "Elements Part 1".

I also like Lost Horizon's "Awakening The World" and I'm currently ordering the next album on The End Records.

I also have Jag Panzer's "Mechanized Warfare" from three years ago but they're not warming up to me as much as I would have liked.

Hammerfall has absolutely fantastic guitar/bass/drum tone but I hate the singer's voice. Ugh.

Firewind... what needs to be said about Firewind? I own both their CDs and am eagerly looking forward to their third release coming soon. Very melodic and catchy, yet with a darker flavor at times like classic heavy metal which I really enjoy.

And then there's the incredible Avantasia "The Metal Opera" discs. Incredible rich vocal arrangements, great guitar work, and ultra-catchy songs. A couple of the dudes singing have a little bit of a Bruce Dickinson sort of voice which I enjoy immensely. Some friends dissuade me from checking out Edguy because it's apparently nothing like Avantasia.

So now you know sort of what I like and what I don't like. Recommend me albums and artists to check out. Sound clips preferred. Not sure why I'm going through a power metal phase lately but I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

Re: Power metal recommendations for me?

Check out Nightwish and Sinergy if you can deal with female vocals, also check out some old Fates Warning
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Evergrey - Recreation Day.
      Fates Warning - No Exit.
      Prototype - Trinity.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

MANOWAR!

Dragonforce is good....cheesy.

Blind Guardian is my favorite power metal band....also cheesy

Sonata Arctica. ....cheesy.

all good..all cheesy.

Comment

Power metal? My recommendation? Grow some balls!!

Comment

I've listened to Nightwish before and didn't really care for the opera-style vocals. Sinergy was okay as well, a little more tolerable. I'll have to check out Fates Warning, I've never heard their stuff before.

Prototype... Vince L's (JCFer) band? I haven't tried their stuff yet but I have the feeling it might turn out like Jag Panzer, 7-string American power metal. I could be totally off though.

Heard Evergrey... they sounded rather depressing. Good, but a bit "sad" for my phase right now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My brother listens to a bit of Manowar! I should get some songs off him.

I've also heard one Dragonforce. You're right about the cheesy bit, as well as Sonata Arctica. Cheesy is somewhat good for me... just look at the bands I listed in my first post in this topic... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Blind Guardian sounds like they have potential to me as I've heard some of their stuff before and liked it enough. I'll definitely have to check out more stuff.

Maybe I should be a little more specific, I love twin guitar attack (or three or more guitars), fantastic vocals, catchy stuff, maybe a little shredding, galloping riffs, vocal/guitar harmonies, tasteful (not overdone) keyboards, powerful drums, bass is not an issue [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , and cheesy fantasy themes but not as cheesy as Hammerfall's "Hearts Of Fire" or whatever that song was called. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Power metal? My recommendation? Grow some balls!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I went through my "heavier sh*t" phase although you'd think the bands I had listened to are absolute p*ssies. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Who knows, I might get into a death or doom metal phase within the next few years as my tastes change. That's when I'll call upon the mighty Ace. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Prototype... Vince L's (JCFer) band? I haven't tried their stuff yet but I have the feeling it might turn out like Jag Panzer, 7-string American power metal. I could be totally off though.

Maybe I should be a little more specific, I love twin guitar attack (or three or more guitars), fantastic vocals, catchy stuff, maybe a little shredding, galloping riffs, vocal/guitar harmonies, tasteful (not overdone) keyboards, powerful drums, bass is not an issue [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] , and cheesy fantasy themes

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yeah, Prototype is Vince's band. Can't recall if I've ever heard Jag Panzer, so I can't tell ya about them.

Have you ever listened to Iron Maiden?!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Seventh Son of a Seventh Son comes to mind... mainly because I just got the enhanced cd last week and I've been playing that quite a bit! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It's about time I got the rest of my Maiden collection updated instead of listening to the worn out/warped tapes of my youth. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm waiting for the "Early Days Part I" Maiden double DVD to be released in Canada TOMORROW!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Most of my musical taste revolves too much around Maiden. That's probably why I listed those specifics, except the bass playing... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Truly, truly sad... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But yeah, "Seventh Son" does sound very much like it could have been a precursor to modern power metal.

[ QUOTE ]
                  As for

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit the reply button too fast? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

As for what? What are you talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'm tired, time for bed!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I am now dying to know what you said before you edited your post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"As for" is all I said. I can't remember what I was going to write, then I went back up and added the part about 7th Son, then I hit reply and realized the "As for" was still down there all alone, so I had to delete it to keep from looking stoopid, but you caught me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm off to bed! Nite. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Prototype is cool, I will say that much.

Comment

You seem to have similar taste to me. Here's an alphabetized list of pretty much straight power metal bands. I also have a lot of stuff that's a little more proggy if you're into that sort of thing. If you want more specific reccomandations lemme know. Enjoy

Agent Steel
                            Angra
                            Brainstorm
                            Celesty
                            Cryonic Temple
                            Dark Moor
                            Dionysus
                            Domine
                            DragonForce <--best power metal ever IMO
                            Dragonhammer
                            Dragonland
                            Drakkar
                            Dream Evil
                            Edenbridge
                            Edguy
                            Fairyland
                            Falconer
                            Firewind
                            Freedom Call
                            Galloglass
                            Gamma Ray
                            HammerFall
                            Heavenly
                            Helloween
                            Highland Glory
                            Highlord
                            Human Fortress
                            Insania
                            Iron Savior
                            Kamelot
                            Kotipelto
                            Labyrinth
                            Lost Horizon
                            Luca Turilli
                            Majesty
                            Manticora
                            Masterplan
                            Mercury Rain
                            Metalium
                            Mystic Prophecy
                            Narnia
                            Nostradameus
                            Pagan's Mind
                            Pegazus
                            Platitude
                            Power Quest
                            Power Symphony
                            Rhapsody
                            Sacred Steel
                            Seventh Avenue
                            Shaman
                            Sinergy
                            Sonata Arctica
                            Steel Attack
                            Stormwarrior
                            Stratovarius
                            Supreme Majesty
                            Symphony X
                            Symphorce
                            Tad Morose
                            Tarot
                            Thunderbolt
                            Thunderstone
                            Thy Majestie
                            Twilightning
                            Twisted Tower Dire
                            Virtuocity
                            Vision Divine
                            Warlord
                            White Skull
                            Wizard
                            Zandelle

Comment

I'll second Sinergy & Prototype.

I only picked up Prototype's Trinity a little while ago - was so stoked to find it locally I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Even paid full retail for it!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

None of these bands have twin guitars, but check 'em out anyway: Nevermore, Last Tribe, Tarot, Ark, At Vance.

They should satisfy your subtle keys/kick arse guitar/fantastic vocals/powerful drumming criteria, if not your faeries & goblins D&D fetish.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X