Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spyware Protection-Which One?

Spybot Search & Destroy.
    I don't know if it is good or bad. It was recommended by a friend, so I use it.

Comment

Slayer, check your private box.

Comment

You can download it from here: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top The site also gives you some basic information on it, I'd read it before using it since your registry is very important and deleting the wrong files could ruin your computer.

This site is also helpful when using hijack this:
        http://hjt.wizardsofwebsites.com/

Comment

Thanks guys!! Jack.

Comment

Do you have a firewall? Zone alarm has a free one that I downloaded when I got the free adaware program and that works great too.
            "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

I use both of those. Zone Alarm works okay although it does have it's issues.

Comment

I have Macafee anti Virus with automatic updates with the Macafee Firewall and it works super. I imagine when I reconfigured my computer and had to re-register some stuff is when I got the damn Spayware crap on here. thanks guys-Jack.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Do you have a firewall? Zone alarm has a free one that I downloaded when I got the free adaware program and that works great too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Ive had some horrible spyware/trojan problems (like, my homepage would be changed everyday to some CRAP site.)

I tried adaware, spybot, some other *free* ones too, and they never did very much to help, the spyware would keep re-installing itself. It can also screw up your system anyway. Some spyware/adware/viruses root themselves deep into the important system files that run the computer, and antispyware programs can rip important files out along with the spyware!

So what I did was just reformat the hardrive, set up the Zone Alarms Firewall, got Norton antivirus installed, first thing, and my system has run just about flawlessly for 6 months! I got the new Yahoo toolbar update, which now has an antispy thing which is surprisingly good for a toolbar!

I used that little toolbar to search, and cleaned the crap from my computer.

Its not really the spyware thats the source. Its actually the trojan virus hidden in your computer that calls up servers and downloads stuff secretly onto your computer. I actually located the virus before it was all said and done, I found the little devil. Unfortunately, my system said it was protected and it could not delete/move/quarentine it [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Best thing to do, is to reformat, get a good firewall and antivirus set up, DONT DOWNLOAD FREE CRAP! nothing is free, you should know that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (unless its from a trusted source like Yahoo or SBC, like the Zone Alarms firewall and the neato toolbar.)

Comment

I occasinally use a IE shell called MYIE2 which has a built in pop-up filter in addition to a firewall download by Kerio.
                    The unwanted ads and pop-ups get filtered during surfing while using this shell and the firewall will give extra protection.

If your system gets infected and spybot or adware cannot remove all of the issues, you have to hunt those programs down, one by one thru find files going back by date. Take 'em out in safe mode and sometimes even going into your registry.

The safest way is to have a reliable firewall and regularly updated anti virus software loaded onto your clean system.

Comment

I should add I was using XP last night on a friends computer and the MYIE2 browser shell download is very similar to what XP is now using as IE. Graphically, they even look the same, and are similar in layout. So, if you are using an older OS like I am (Win98SE), you can get the same, if not more benefits as a system using XP.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mozilla Firefox is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less vulnerable than Internet Explorer. How do I know this? I used Internet Explorer for years in combination with the Lavasoft and Spybot programs, and I would run a check once a week and found lots of spyware and stuff. A few months ago, I caved in to peer pressure and great reviews, and convinced myself to downloade the Mozilla Firefox browser. My weekly spyware scans have been reduced to once a month, and sometimes the sweeps don't turn up with any spyware at all, or maybe one or two bits of spyware.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% correct. Netscape as well. They both use the same Gecko core which is not nearly as susceptible to unintentional spyware downloads.

If you use Adware SE (Adware6’s newer version) and Spybot that should keep spyware at bay. What one program misses, the other one will usually get, but there is some nasty spyware out there you will NEVER get rid of.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                        X